overcoming the 300 gigabyte limit

Old January 30th 05, 02:36 AM

Default overcoming the 300 gigabyte limit

I have a StorTecc pm-525c2-eps external hard drive case. I have a 320
gigabyte hard drive embedded. Why does this external case limit the amount
of hard drive space available to 300 gigabytes?

Is their a way for me to over come this limitation? Can someone explain why
this external case has such a strange limitation? Does Windows 2000 have
some limit in hard drive space that I am not aware of? I did modify the
registry for the 130 gigabytes issue they had.

Lex

Old January 30th 05, 05:41 AM
Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"||" wrote in message
.. .
I have a StorTecc pm-525c2-eps external hard drive case. I have a 320
gigabyte hard drive embedded. Why does this external case limit the

amount
of hard drive space available to 300 gigabytes?

It doesn't.

You're looking at the variance between binary measures and decimal
measures.

320 * 1,000 * 1,000 * 1,000 = 320,000,000,000 bytes.

Now, 298 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 = 319,975,063,552 bytes.

So, 298G in binary = 320G in decimal.

Is their a way for me to over come this limitation? Can someone explain

why
this external case has such a strange limitation? Does Windows 2000 have
some limit in hard drive space that I am not aware of? I did modify the
registry for the 130 gigabytes issue they had.

And THAT was a 128G or 137G limit - depending on binary (where the
problem is) or decimal.

RwP

Old February 2nd 05, 03:30 AM

Ralph Wade Phillips,

This is the hard drive that I have
http://www.3gplaza.com/estore/contro...tails?id=33897

Do you think that what have said to me applies to this hard drive? Can you
explain why certain external cases have to place a stated limit of 300 gigs
as it limit? I do not understand that.

Lex

"Ralph Wade Phillips" wrote in message
Howdy!