Can't enable Direct3D acceleration.

Old October 10th 05, 08:03 PM
Jeff Ingram

Thanks, I figured that out, but should I really have to do that? Is that
normal? Does your CPU peak when you drag stuff around the desktop?

Thanks,

Jeff

"patrickp" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 06:17:44 -0400, "Jeff Ingram"
wrote:

Miraculously, all I did was reinstall the video drivers one more time and
that seems to have fixed it except I think there is a problem with 2D
acceleration. I have no problem playing games like Unreal Tournament

2004
and getting 60+ frames per second, but I've notice that anytime I drag a
window (any window) around the screen my CPU usage spikes. So I think

it's
only sorta fix.......(?)

Jeff

snjp

Sounds like you need to go to Display Properties - Effects and
deselect Show window contents while dragging, Jeff.

Patrick

- take five to email me...

Old October 10th 05, 10:20 PM
patrickp

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:03:24 -0400, "Jeff Ingram"
wrote:

Thanks, I figured that out, but should I really have to do that? Is that
normal? Does your CPU peak when you drag stuff around the desktop?

Thanks,

Jeff

Just say Windows, Jeff. Not only is there so much rubbish in it, but
too much of it is enabled by default. Deselecting Show window
contents while dragging is one of the first things I disable after a
new install.

Patrick

.. .

Old October 11th 05, 09:00 PM
patrickp

wrote:

Miraculously, all I did was reinstall the video drivers one

more time and
that seems to have fixed it except I think there is a problem

with 2D
acceleration. I have no problem playing games like Unreal

Tournament 2004
and getting 60+ frames per second, but I've notice that

anytime I drag a
window (any window) around the screen my CPU usage spikes.

So I think it's
only sorta fix.......(?)

Jeff

snjp

Sounds like you need to go to Display Properties - Effects
and
deselect Show window contents while dragging, Jeff.

Patrick

- take five to email me...

Jeff - you fixed the problem by reinstalling the drivers?
wich Magic CATALYST ver did you use?

I tried several from 5.9 to 5.6 with no sucess.
i ran out of option so now i’m preprening for a format & windows
reinstall.

Gal

Perhaps it's not just a matter of the Catalyst version, Gal. Do you
uninstall the old drivers, reboot and run the ATI - Uninstall Software
Utility (or cat-uninstaller.exe) before reinstalling? It's always
been advisable, and I believe several people have found it to make a
particular difference with recent Catalyst versions.

Patrick

- take five to email me...
Old October 13th 05, 01:29 AM
galrumbak

wrote:

[...]

Thanx,
but it didn’t do the trick.

I’ll go on with the format.

Gal

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-en...pict59591.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=318826
Old October 14th 05, 12:51 AM
Shawk

"galrumbak" wrote in message
news:7_318826_07c3b28e5153fac42f7e375e3db7c484@har dwareforumz.com...

Thanx,
but it didn't do the trick.

I'll go on with the format.

Did you reinstall/update your mobo drivers?