How Can I Confine the Mouse Cursor to the display?

Old April 10th 16, 02:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected][_2_]

Default How Can I Confine the Mouse Cursor to the display?

My mouse cursor will move beyond the right and bottom of my desktop
display, and therefore be invisible. Very irritating (to me). How
can I restrict the cursor to the desktop? It does not do this on the
left or top.

Thanks

me
Old April 10th 16, 05:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

wrote:
My mouse cursor will move beyond the right and bottom of my desktop
display, and therefore be invisible. Very irritating (to me). How
can I restrict the cursor to the desktop? It does not do this on the
left or top.

Thanks

me

Neat. You are in pan and scan mode.

Any time the OS defines a desktop which
is larger than the screen, you can "go off
the edge". Say for example, you set Display
Properties to 1600x1200 on an SIS graphics
adapter, when the 15" monitor only supports
1024x768. Then the monitor is driven at 1024x768
(because the monitor EDID serial link tells the
computer that is the native resolution). The SIS
driver can then select a 1024x768 "chunk" out
of the 1600x1200 it told the OS exists at the
moment.

What is supposed to happen, is when the mouse cursor
hits the "edge", the selected rectangle moves
to keep the mouse cursor on the screen.

The end result, is you have a "window" into
the desktop, allowing a desktop which is larger
than the native resolution of the screen allows.

Not many drivers support this.

And edge detection may interfere with Oses like
Windows 8 which use gestures and swiping on edges
and so on. It's unlikely such a driver is allowed
on WIndows 8 at all.

*******

Other than that, such a behavior should not be
allowed.

Only if you somehow managed to convince the computer
you had a dual display (went into Display control
panel, told it to "force TV detection", then put
the two screens, including the fake TV side by side),
would you suffer the symptoms you see, yet with no
convenient pan and scan to escape the mess made.

So make sure you aren't forcing TV detection,
or connecting two monitors, running in dual monitor
mode, switching off one monitor, then noticing
that the mouse is now in la-la land off the
screen :-)

*******

The key lies in examining the Display control panel.
If the Windows panel doesn't show the problem, use
the ATI or Nvidia custom panel to see what is happening.

When it's a bitch, is when you set the screen into a
mode, where only a tiny portion of the Display control
panel can be seen. You might not be able to access the
buttons to get out of your mess. That's happened to me.

Paul
Old April 10th 16, 05:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected][_2_]

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 12:01:39 -0400, Paul wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I have discovered that even some of m desktop icons do not appear on
the screen, but instead are 'off the screen' to the right where I
cannot see them and I cannot select them,

me
Old April 10th 16, 05:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

wrote:
[...]

That's why you can right-click in the middle of the screen
and select (Display) Properties :-) My Nvidia control panel
is also in that right-click menu. Just click anywhere on the
display surface, which is not a taskbar, Start button, or icon :-)
They did that for Houdini escape reasons, so you could
get out of a mess.

Paul
Old April 10th 16, 06:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bill Bradshaw

Do you have 2 monitors and do you have extended display selected in your
monitor setup operating mode (the second monitor is turned off)? Maybe you
have it set like you have 2 displays even if you do not. I have 2 displays
and usually keep the right monitor off if I do not need it. When the right
monitor is off my mouse cursor disappears when I move it all the way to the
right edge of the left monitor which is the one I normally use.
--
Bill

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Old April 10th 16, 08:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 4/10/2016 12:01 PM, Paul wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Probably not some 'special' mode. More likely that it is simply an artifact
of the regular arrow pointer and its active spot. The active spot is at the
point and the OS never lets that stray off the screen but the body of the
arrow 'hangs' to the left and downward from the active spot. This means
that the body of the pointer will disappear when the active spot is on the
bottom or right edge of the screen. This is easily proven by changing the
mouse pointer to some other type such as the cross-hair. When using this
half of the pointer can be run offscreen at any edge. The behaviour the OP
is so irritated by has been there since the first Windows OS that supported
mice.
Old April 10th 16, 09:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected][_2_]

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 19:35:30 +0200, Yrrah
wrote:

:

My mouse cursor will move beyond the right and bottom of my desktop
display, and therefore be invisible. Very irritating (to me). How
can I restrict the cursor to the desktop? It does not do this on the
left or top.

And your OS is?

Yrrah

W7
me
Old April 10th 16, 09:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected][_2_]

wrote:
[...]

By reverting icon sizes to 'small' at least all my desktop icons are
now visible. Now if I could only keep the cursor on the screen.

me
Old April 10th 16, 10:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

wrote:
[...]

That should be "...to the right and downward...". Dyslexia kicking in with
fatigue I guess. In any case, if you have the default arrow pointer in use,
you can demonstrate what the OP complains of by simply moving the cursor
around the edges of the screen.