EVGA replaces my 7900GT 256mb with 7950GX2 512mbx2!

Old November 2nd 07, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Adams

Default EVGA replaces my 7900GT 256mb with 7950GX2 512mbx2!

This is my second RMA on the 7900GT and EVGA made me happy this time by
sending me the 7950GX2. That's really good as it really helps with
running games on my widescreen LCD at 1680x1050. 7950GX2 cost over twice
what my 7900GT 256mb cost. Woot!
Old November 3rd 07, 01:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Wax[_2_]

"John Adams" wrote in message
. ..
This is my second RMA on the 7900GT and EVGA made me happy this time by
sending me the 7950GX2. That's really good as it really helps with running
games on my widescreen LCD at 1680x1050. 7950GX2 cost over twice what my
7900GT 256mb cost. Woot!

Great to hear this - congrats!

Old November 3rd 07, 04:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Well, this is your 2nd RMA. If you had bought a BFG, LeadTek, or some other
brand, you could well have had 0 RMAs. Good support is no substitute for a
product that doesn't fail to begin with.

Keep in mind a 8800GT is about $270 nowadays. The 7950GX2 may be priced
high, but it isn't *worth* the money unless you are a collector.

. ..

Old November 3rd 07, 06:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Kevin Weaver

"First of One" wrote in message
Well, this is your 2nd RMA. If you had bought a BFG, LeadTek, or some
other brand, you could well have had 0 RMAs. Good support is no substitute
for a product that doesn't fail to begin with.

Keep in mind a 8800GT is about $270 nowadays. The 7950GX2 may be priced
high, but it isn't *worth* the money unless you are a collector.

"John Adams" wrote in message
. ..
This is my second RMA on the 7900GT and EVGA made me happy this time by
sending me the 7950GX2. That's really good as it really helps with
running games on my widescreen LCD at 1680x1050. 7950GX2 cost over twice
what my 7900GT 256mb cost. Woot!

Yeah right. I had two BFG Fail on me. I've gone to evga and no problems. All
company's have problems. If and when this does, It too will be returned for
repair or replacement.

Old November 3rd 07, 07:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Adams

First of One wrote:
Well, this is your 2nd RMA. If you had bought a BFG, LeadTek, or some other
brand, you could well have had 0 RMAs. Good support is no substitute for a
product that doesn't fail to begin with.

7900GT had issues from all manufacturer's and not just EVGA. I see
7900GT is not even being sold anymore so was probably pulled from the
market because of known issues.

8800GT would be nicer but they are not going to send anyone that card as
replacement for a 7900GT unless you still qualify for their step-up program.
Old November 3rd 07, 10:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
rms[_2_]

7900GT had issues from all manufacturer's and not just EVGA. I see 7900GT
is not even being sold anymore so was probably pulled from the market
because of known issues.

My 7900GTX was an immediate RMA, and took a full month and multiple
emails before they bothered to send a new one from hong kong. Never again
will I buy an ebay videocard.

rms

Old November 4th 07, 05:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Wax[_2_]

"First of One" wrote in message
Well, this is your 2nd RMA. If you had bought a BFG, LeadTek, or some
other brand, you could well have had 0 RMAs. Good support is no substitute
for a product that doesn't fail to begin with.

I don't quite buy that, I hear of cards from all makers failing at some time
or another. It is impossible to say that all cards from one brand or
another are never going to fail. As far as I can tell, eVGA is one of the
better makes out there.

Old November 4th 07, 05:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"First of One" wrote in message
Well, this is your 2nd RMA. If you had bought a BFG, LeadTek, or some
other brand, you could well have had 0 RMAs. Good support is no substitute
for a product that doesn't fail to begin with.

Do you have any evidence other than personal anectodotal experience to back
this up?
Of the several eVGA cards I've bought and used for myself and others, none
have had so much as even a fan failure. The one I'm using right now is a
7800GTX OC 512Mb, and it's been 24/7 for 2 years. In 3D it's been set at
650Mhz and 1300 (650x2) since the first week.

Old November 5th 07, 07:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Adams

Wax wrote:
As far as I can tell, eVGA is one of the
better makes out there.

And about the best warranty service in the industry too.
Old November 6th 07, 05:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Personal anecdotal experience has very little bearing on estimating
reliability. I was going by the Newegg customer reviews (about the only
place with statistically-significant numbers of user ratings per SKU). Last
time I checked, 83% of buyers rated the eVGA 7900GT KO as 5- or 4-eggs,
whereas one of the XFX 7900GT variants had 82%, while the LeadTek's PX7900GT
had a 97% rating. Admittedly with almost all the 7900GT listings gone at
Newegg, so did the customer reviews, so my claims are hard to substantiate.
:-(

Of course you could have easily been one of the 83% of users with a
trouble-free card, yet it also meant one out of every five eVGA 7900GTs went
bad, at least on that particular SKU, at Newegg. Mind you, this was still
better than the MSI NX7900GT, where only 59% of buyers rated it as 5- or
4-eggs.

Then there was this article:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?...hlbnRodXNpYXN0
It suggests eVGA and XFX had been too aggressive with its factory overclocks
on the 7900GT. Perhaps the screening utilities they used to bin the cards
didn't load the cards sufficiently - It's easy enough to remedy, and may
explain why we aren't seeing as many failures on the 8800-series.

Yet, even now we see a small difference between the stock-clocked eVGA
8800GTX:
where a good 96% of buyers gave it 5- or 4-eggs,

and the highly overclocked ACS3:
where only 87% of buyers gave it 5- or 4-eggs.

Does this mean the ACS3 is failing 3 times as frequently?...