1440 x 990 gone with 162.18 drivers

Old July 30th 07, 04:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
David[_11_]

Default 1440 x 990 gone with 162.18 drivers

Hi,
Loaded the 162.18 drivers for my 6200 pro 256 and the DVI display changed
from 1440x990 to 1280x960 (with 1440x990 pan and scan desktop)
The LCD is a common Gateway FPD1976W 19in Wide.
The display properties slider IS set to 1440x990 and changing to 1280x960
gets a desktop that matches the DVI resolution(no pan and scan). In each
case the monitor is squawking about the low res 1280x960 signal.
When I revert to 93.71 drivers the DVI signal returns to 1440x900, matching
the desktop.

Anyone else notice this issue?
dlr

Old July 31st 07, 11:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_4_]

With that older low-powered video card, not all newer drivers will always
work. You have to go back to the older driver version.

--
---------------------
DaveW

Old August 1st 07, 07:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Joe Mama

DaveW wrote:
With that older low-powered video card, not all newer drivers will always
work. You have to go back to the older driver version.

Further, IME upgrading every time new drivers come out is a _bad_ thing
if you have older hardware. Caveat being if you're actually
experiencing a problem that is addressed in the update notes. It seems
to me that both nVidia and ATI update/optimize for new hardware, with
much less of an eye for how the old stuff will run.

As always, YMMV, etc.

Cheers,
-joe.

__________________________________________________ __
The problem with the youth of today is that
one is no longer part of it.
-Salvador Dali
Old August 1st 07, 08:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Kevin Weaver

"Joe Mama" wrote in message
DaveW wrote:
With that older low-powered video card, not all newer drivers will always
work. You have to go back to the older driver version.

Further, IME upgrading every time new drivers come out is a _bad_ thing if
you have older hardware. Caveat being if you're actually experiencing a
problem that is addressed in the update notes. It seems to me that both
nVidia and ATI update/optimize for new hardware, with much less of an eye
for how the old stuff will run.

That's so you will go and buy a new video card.

As always, YMMV, etc.

Cheers,
-joe.

__________________________________________________ __

Old August 1st 07, 10:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Joe Mama

Kevin Weaver wrote:
"Joe Mama" wrote in message
DaveW wrote:
With that older low-powered video card, not all newer drivers will
always work. You have to go back to the older driver version.

Further, IME upgrading every time new drivers come out is a _bad_
thing if you have older hardware. Caveat being if you're actually
experiencing a problem that is addressed in the update notes. It
seems to me that both nVidia and ATI update/optimize for new hardware,
with much less of an eye for how the old stuff will run.

That's so you will go and buy a new video card.

Heh... while I appreciate your cynicism, I think it's probably more a
case of the old cards working "just fine" with the older drivers, so
there's really no need to tweak for them at all. Just putting the work
where it does the most good, which is into the least mature hardware
(and therefore most likely to benefit from any changes).

But yeah, I'm sure an added bonus for the chipmakers is that it also
creates motive to buy new cards.

1440 x 900 widescreen problems [email protected] Nvidia Videocards 5 February 14th 07 05:27 AM
1440 x 900 widescreen support Bill Nvidia Videocards 4 February 13th 07 02:03 PM
1440 x 900 6410NX Compaq Computers 1 December 4th 06 06:24 PM
Brother HL-1440 Printer Rickey Southard Printers 2 June 4th 06 01:15 PM
HL-1440 CLW Printers 0 July 1st 03 04:09 AM