System upgrade advice needed

Old November 17th 07, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
3cstasy

Default System upgrade advice needed

"SHRED" wrote in message
---

It's way overdue.
I am going to upgrade my system and I have been lagging BIG TIME!!

My current:

Windows 2000 Pro
2.53ghz Intel P4
D845PEBT2 Intel AGP Motherboard Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
1 gig RAM
80g Seagate SATA ST3808110AS
80g Seagate SATA ST3808110AS
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS 256mb AGP
Santa Cruz (Turtle Beach) soundcard
Samsung Syncmaster 216bw (21.5" flat panel)

---

Upgrade idea:

I will use my current Antec case, 2 SATA HDD's, and monitor (of course).
While not an "avid" gamer (still working on HL2 and Episode 1) I do love
beautiful graphics.

Am I on the right track here?
What would you change if anything?

Thanks for any help!!!

CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817139001

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16819115029

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813128059

XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814150252

Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820134488

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16822135106

Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2B 1 Pack
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16832116059

configuration is good but i would buy win vista instead xp.

Old November 17th 07, 05:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
SHRED

3cstasy wrote:

configuration is good but i would buy win vista instead xp.

My concern with Vista is the stability issues I have read so much about.
Old November 17th 07, 05:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

SHRED wrote:

Am I on the right track here?

Without a maximum budget as a filter, you may expect a lot of
unwarranted suggestions.
Old November 17th 07, 06:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
SHRED

Mr.E Solved! wrote:
SHRED wrote:

Am I on the right track here?

Without a maximum budget as a filter, you may expect a lot of
unwarranted suggestions.

Around $900.
Old November 17th 07, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Sir-Les-MP

If your thinking of using vista as your OS i would recommend using 4 gig
of memory giving you plenty overhead for games.

As far as stability issue's goes with vista ive been using it now for
some time and the only issue ive had is there being no device driver
available for my black widow scanner.

with the hardware you are looking at there should no issue's what so
ever with running window's vista

The only person that can really tell you whether to use Windows Vista or
Windows XP is yourself.

Both have their pro's as well as there con's its up to you to work out
from the too which gives you the most pro's for the way you wish to use
your system.
Old November 18th 07, 02:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert McMillan

"Sir-Les-MP" wrote in message
If your thinking of using vista as your OS i would recommend using 4 gig
of memory giving you plenty overhead for games.

As far as stability issue's goes with vista ive been using it now for some
time and the only issue ive had is there being no device driver available
for my black widow scanner.

with the hardware you are looking at there should no issue's what so ever
with running window's vista

The only person that can really tell you whether to use Windows Vista or
Windows XP is yourself.

Both have their pro's as well as there con's its up to you to work out
from the too which gives you the most pro's for the way you wish to use
your system.

If you recommend 4gig ram when taking the vista option would you recommend
the 32bit or 64bit version.
Thanks
Robert

Old November 18th 07, 05:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

If you recommend 4gig ram when taking the vista option would you recommend
the 32bit or 64bit version.
Thanks
Robert

Running Vista32 or XP32 on a 4gig system will result in a maximum of 3.12
Gig (which the OS typically reports as 3.2 in System Properties) available
for the OS and apps. The address space above this is reserved by the OS and
is not available, resulting in only 3.12 Gig being "seen" by the OS. This
applies to EVERY 32 bit version of XP and Vista. on any motherboard and
chipset. And there can be issues with XP64 and Vista64 only seeing 3.2 gig
as well on some chipsets. There's a plethora of links, but the MS one has a
fairly coherent summary of the issue. I'd suggest you read it...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

Old November 18th 07, 05:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Augustus" wrote in message
newsOP%i.829$HH2.739@edtnps82...
If you recommend 4gig ram when taking the vista option would you
recommend the 32bit or 64bit version.
Thanks
Robert

Running Vista32 or XP32 on a 4gig system will result in a maximum of 3.12
Gig (which the OS typically reports as 3.2 in System Properties) available
for the OS and apps. The address space above this is reserved by the OS
and is not available, resulting in only 3.12 Gig being "seen" by the OS.
This applies to EVERY 32 bit version of XP and Vista. on any motherboard
and chipset. And there can be issues with XP64 and Vista64 only seeing 3.2
gig as well on some chipsets. There's a plethora of links, but the MS one
has a fairly coherent summary of the issue. I'd suggest you read it...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

Just to clarify, the 64bit OS memory problem in some m/b chipsets comes from
the fact that the ones with issues have 4gig total memory addressablilty as
a hardware limitation. To use the full 4 Gig, the chipset/BIOS must have 8
Gig addressabilty. Most newer desktop m/b's are like this now, but there's a
number of current laptops that run into this issue commonly. Many of them
use the i945PM and i965GM chipsets and there's a lot of lamenting owners
wondering why their 64bit OS install on their XPS laptops (and others) still
only sees 3.2 Gig.

Old November 18th 07, 05:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Kevin Weaver

"Sir-Les-MP" wrote in message
If your thinking of using vista as your OS i would recommend using 4 gig
of memory giving you plenty overhead for games.

As far as stability issue's goes with vista ive been using it now for some
time and the only issue ive had is there being no device driver available
for my black widow scanner.

with the hardware you are looking at there should no issue's what so ever
with running window's vista

The only person that can really tell you whether to use Windows Vista or
Windows XP is yourself.

Both have their pro's as well as there con's its up to you to work out
from the too which gives you the most pro's for the way you wish to use
your system.

Only use 4gb of mem if he is using the 64bit OS.
32 bit will only see 3GB so it would be a waste to buy 4gb if on 32bit.