Please don't laugh

Old August 24th 07, 11:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DMP

Default Please don't laugh

My husband wants to use an old videocard and I mean old, but I told him
forget it, but he wanted me to ask, so I am.

The board is an Asus p4t-e board and the card is a Diamond Viper 770. He's
attempting to use a Northwood 2.2 Pentium with 1 gb of ram...windows xp sp2
and drive a 20 inch monitor. With an attempt at humor, I told him I thought
what would come up on the screen would be the size of postage stamp.

Anyhow....would this video card actually function with this setup. I hope
not, because I don't like to be wrong, at least not too often. ;-)

Thanks a lot to whoever can answer.

D.

Old August 24th 07, 11:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"DMP" wrote in message
My husband wants to use an old videocard and I mean old, but I told him
forget it, but he wanted me to ask, so I am.

The board is an Asus p4t-e board and the card is a Diamond Viper 770. He's
attempting to use a Northwood 2.2 Pentium with 1 gb of ram...windows xp
sp2 and drive a 20 inch monitor. With an attempt at humor, I told him I
thought what would come up on the screen would be the size of postage
stamp.

Well, it's an Nvidia TNT2 32Mb card clocked at 125Mhz core and 150Mhz
memory. It should be a 128bit card. So will it work OK on XP? Yes it should
work just fine with a 20" monitor, CRT or LCD. Just don't even think about
any 3D gaming with it. But for productivity and web browsing it should be
just fine. It's actually a lot more powerful than the vast quantity of
embedded onboard graphics cards sound on your average Dell box over the
years.

Old August 25th 07, 12:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Conor

In article , DMP says...
My husband wants to use an old videocard and I mean old, but I told him
forget it, but he wanted me to ask, so I am.

The board is an Asus p4t-e board and the card is a Diamond Viper 770. He's
attempting to use a Northwood 2.2 Pentium with 1 gb of ram...windows xp sp2
and drive a 20 inch monitor. With an attempt at humor, I told him I thought
what would come up on the screen would be the size of postage stamp.

Anyhow....would this video card actually function with this setup. I hope
not, because I don't like to be wrong, at least not too often. ;-)

Thanks a lot to whoever can answer.

It'll work absolutely fine. The RAM on the card will limit the max
resolution and colour depth but it'll be able to easily do 1280x1024
and the picture will fill the screen regardless.

--
Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.
Old August 25th 07, 12:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

It'll work absolutely fine. The RAM on the card will limit the max
resolution and colour depth but it'll be able to easily do 1280x1024
and the picture will fill the screen regardless.

It'll limit it to 2048x1536 resolution....which isn't much of a limitation.
http://www.plpc.com/product_details....id=CO02VDO0028

Old August 25th 07, 12:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_4_]

You may confidently tell him to RETIRE that video card. In no way is it
powerful enough, nor will it support the resolution required by a 20 "
modern monitor.

--
---------------------
DaveW

Old August 25th 07, 12:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"DaveW" wrote in message
You may confidently tell him to RETIRE that video card. In no way is it
powerful enough, nor will it support the resolution required by a 20 "
modern monitor.

Wrong....big time.

Old August 25th 07, 12:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Kevin Weaver

"DMP" wrote in message
My husband wants to use an old videocard and I mean old, but I told him
forget it, but he wanted me to ask, so I am.

The board is an Asus p4t-e board and the card is a Diamond Viper 770. He's
attempting to use a Northwood 2.2 Pentium with 1 gb of ram...windows xp
sp2 and drive a 20 inch monitor. With an attempt at humor, I told him I
thought what would come up on the screen would be the size of postage
stamp.

Anyhow....would this video card actually function with this setup. I hope
not, because I don't like to be wrong, at least not too often. ;-)

Thanks a lot to whoever can answer.

D.

It will, But a few things come into play.

No aero support.

Slow as all get out.
Game play will be null. I should say any game that's been made in the past
few years.

No direct support from the mfg as to video drivers for vista. Unknown if it
has built-in vista drivers or not. Your not going to know this until Vista
defect's it and try's to install drivers, If present. If no support then it
will load VGA Drivers at 8 or 16bit.

You can buy a working Aero supported video card for approx 100-150.00

Old August 25th 07, 12:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Augustus" wrote in message

"DaveW" wrote in message
You may confidently tell him to RETIRE that video card. In no way is it
powerful enough, nor will it support the resolution required by a 20 "
modern monitor.

Wrong....big time.

Where do you guys get the idea that a 128bit Nvidia TNT2 32Mb card is
inadequate for running XP on a 20" monitor of any kind? If you really think
32Mb of video memory is inadequate for 1280x1024 32 bit color or 1600x1200
32bit you need to do some basic reading about bit depth and resolution
verson video memory requirements. And a 128bit TNT2 engine is more than fine
for productivity. She's asking if it will wor OK...and it will.
http://www.m-techlaptops.com/video_memory.htm

Old August 25th 07, 12:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Kevin Weaver

"Kevin Weaver" wrote in message
et...
"DMP" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, I thought I read he was going to run Vista.