Dell Latitude adapter

Old August 24th 17, 02:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default Dell Latitude adapter

Someone gave me a Dell Latitude D630

It works OK except the battery will not charge.

The power adapter is non-OEM but of the right voltage and current.

On boot-up I get the message that it cannot determine the adapter and
the unit will not be able to charge.

I searched some on-line forums and see that the only way to avoid that
problem is to actually get an OEM Dell adapter.

Though I can pick one up on eBay for under $20 I am trying to figure out
if there is a work around and how the BIOS can determine the adapter is
non-OEM

I can turn the warning message off in the BIOS but it still does not
allow it to charge.
Old August 24th 17, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

philo wrote:
Someone gave me a Dell Latitude D630

It works OK except the battery will not charge.

The power adapter is non-OEM but of the right voltage and current.

On boot-up I get the message that it cannot determine the adapter and
the unit will not be able to charge.

I searched some on-line forums and see that the only way to avoid that
problem is to actually get an OEM Dell adapter.

Though I can pick one up on eBay for under $20 I am trying to figure out
if there is a work around and how the BIOS can determine the adapter is
non-OEM

I can turn the warning message off in the BIOS but it still does not
allow it to charge.

And how many contacts does the connector have ?

This one has:

outer metal cylinder, inner metal cylinder, central pin

http://www.ebay.in/itm/65w-Original-...#ht_2536wt_921

If the connector has three contacts, the third contact
provides "ID info". Some machines come in low power and
high power SKUs, and the machine family comes with two
different adapters. And they don't allow the high power
unit, to run off the low power adapter.

Paul
Old August 24th 17, 05:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 08/24/2017 09:31 AM, Paul wrote:
philo wrote:
[...]

Aha, that's it, thank you.

I noticed that it was a non-standard "barrel" type of connector but did
not realize it had three connections.

Sure enough , in addition to the center pin there is an inner and outer
contact on the barrel.

Will have to pick up and OEM adapter.

Old August 29th 17, 08:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Anssi Saari

philo writes:

Will have to pick up and OEM adapter.

While it's annoying that Dell uses a proprietary connector, at least
it's been the same for a very long time. I have one at home from about
15 years ago and it charges my new E5570 without any issues.

Old August 29th 17, 10:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 08/29/2017 02:46 AM, Anssi Saari wrote:
philo writes:

Will have to pick up and OEM adapter.

While it's annoying that Dell uses a proprietary connector, at least
it's been the same for a very long time. I have one at home from about
15 years ago and it charges my new E5570 without any issues.

Since I don't really have much use for the laptop I have not ordered the
OEM adapter. I suppose I should so I can determine if the battery can
even take a charge.