Skybuck's DreamPC design for 2015, version 1 initial draft.

Old September 12th 15, 11:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default Skybuck's DreamPC design for 2015, version 1 initial draft.

Skybuck's DreamPC design for 2015, version 1 initial draft (created on 12
september 2015 by Skybuck Flying):

(Based on components available at www.alternate.nl):

Processor: Socket 1151, Intel Core i7-6700K, 4,0 GHz (4,2 GHz Turbo Boost),
Processor(FC-LGA4, "Skylake") Price: 399 euros.

Motherboard: Chipset: Intel Z170 Express, ASRock Z170 Extreme7+,
Moederbord(RAID, Gb-LAN, Sound, ATX) Price: 289 euros.

Memory: Memory Type: DDR4-3000, Corsair 16 GB DDR4-3000 Kit (2 modules),
Werkgeheugen(Zwart, CMK16GX4M2B3000C15, Vengeance LPX, XMP) Price: 162,90 x
2 for 32 GB = 325.8 euros.

Graphics Card: Bus type: PCIe x16, ASUS GTXTITANX-12GD5, Grafische
kaart(DVI, HDMI 2.0, 3x DisplayPort, SLI) Price: 1129 Euros.

Harddisk(s): Interface: SATA/600 15 pins power, HGST Ultrastar He8, 8 TB
Harde schijf(SATA 600, HUH728080ALE600, 24/7) Price: 579 x 2 for 16 TB =
1158 euros.

Power Supply: ? unknown ? how much watts needed ? OCZ or Seasonic good
brands...

Processor/CPU Cooler: ? unknown ? which ones are good/enough ? and will fit
and such ?

Case: ? unknown ? perhaps another antec 1200... or perhaps something
else/new ? case must have plenty of unobstructed airflow and only gates to
hold back bigger objects and hairs/mouse/screws/screw
drivers/pencils/pens/flies somewhat.

must be an extreme case with extreme cooling properties to be on the safe
side, especially during summer, must be easy to open, handle, equip and
especially clean internals of heatsink/fans of cpu and gfx fans

Soundcard: ? unknown ? Soundblaster-Z maybe... but must support 7.1, so far
only seems 5.1, very maybe via settings and dolby or dts might 7.1 be
achievable but I doubt this somewhat, other possibility includes essence but
expensive and might be less ideal and less beautifull.

alternative could go with an older elite-xi pro soundblaster or something
similar... though maybe new soundblaster gives better sound

would have to go for Sound Blaster ZxR version for maximum signal to
noise ratio: 124 Db. Must be able to connect to denon receiver avr 1909 not
sure if SPDIF is possible, think so, needs to be figured out more

might and will probably require special spdif cables ?!

Subwoofer: A nice downward blasting subwoofer would be nice to enhance old
speakers of gigaworks.

Speakers: I will probably keep older gigaworks speakers, though if there are
newer high signal to noise ratio speakers available I may give those a try
instead... would be cool to up the sound quality even further !

will have to look into this.

Monitor: Might keep existing monitor: HP 2335, great monitor... though a bit
of trailing when moving... but still a very good monitor to this day and
age... works pretty much as new... only problem is it's getting a bit old
and thus it might fail unexpectedly leaving me possible stranded with no
monitor at all which would suck bad... only back is a somewhat
malfunctioning CRT monitor... with old VGA connector not sure if titan X can
connect
to it... probably possible with HDMI to VGA converter ?

Current monitor is 1920x1200, I may be interested in getting more screen
space... so a 4K monitor may be considered. though this might be too much
for the titan x but at least it's nice to work on for programming
and less demanding games and such ! =D Though vertical resolution of
2000 pixels doesn't sound like that much... a 4kx4k monitor might be awesome
or maybe not... perhaps 2k just fine... otherwise too much scrolling with
eyes down and up but could also be nice to have lot's if vertical
visual range ! might have to look further into this to see what exists in
this regards.

Wow I just had a look at prices... these thing are dirt cheap ! Already
seen one for 600+ euro or so... no idea of quality yet...some are 1000...
that's nice old monitor costed 1000 euros too...

A samsung based product seems smart... good brand... probably good
quality. I think HP 2335 also had a samsung part in it or maybe not... maybe
HP produced one dead subpixel but not a big issue.

Will definetly have to read up on monitor comparisons and benchmarks

3 monitors available from my favorite hardware site... this one catches
my eye: Samsung 28" Professional UHD Monitor LU28E85KRS, nice response time
of 1ms... monitor can even turn vertically, but not a require feature
but could be nice to have,. nice design, no distracting visual features
on frame/border, it can also turn horizontally so to speak...
remaining doubt is height position adjustment... seems a bit limited in
that regards might require further investigation, possibly yes definetly
further investigation, important to be able to adjust heights

Resolution is: 3840 x 2160 pixels , this means twice 1920 and twice
1080... so not twice 1200... 720 extra vertical pixels seems nice though. I
would probably have preferred 2x1200 though... even better 2400 pixels hmm..
perhaps 1080 might annoy me... me being used to 1920:1200 ratio.

2400 vertical pixels do not seem available under ultra 4k-hd. Hmm...

So far 2160 seems the best/highest available.

Seems like a very nice monitor... high adjustment about 13 centimeters or
so, should be enough, price not too expensive, contast seems good, viewing
angle a little bit less but might be ok, further comparison
with my current monitor concerning viewing angle is recommended.

Dimensions might also be interested to investigate... shouldn't become
too big... must still fit on desk and such... though still plenty of space
available... but it might be less pleasant to watch if it becomes
to big eye strain and such.. hmm..

Samsung 28" Professional UHD Monitor LU28E85KRS(Titanium/Zwart, 2x HDMI,
DisplayPort, Mini-DP) Price: 649 euro.

Keyboard:
Mouse: Logitech Desktop MK120(zwart, EU Lay-out, Retail) keyboard + mouse
all-in-one lol... funny... escape key at slightly weird place, left shift
slightly smaller but perhaps these things can be used too or perhaps not...
for the price not bad, may look for a better keyboard/mouse where escape
key is better placed, Price: 23 euros.
Overall smart idea of logitech to sell a keyboard and mouse that matches
look... mouse has 2 buttons and a scroll wheel... hopefully both devices
react fast enough for gaming and allows at least 2 to 3 keys to be pressed
at same time.

The overal black look might fit nicely with the mostly black samsung
monitor... though the samsung also seems a bit grayish... thus these two
devices might be a little bit too black.
it says these are durable though... a lie ? or thruth ? hmmm who knows
durable would be nice... though there is a fluidic leakage warning... don't
spill water over it more than 60 milliliters or so... hmm..
Perhap there is risk of electrical problems in such an event... could
cause damage to system might be a bad choice.
Apperently there is an EU version with a larger enter key that could be
annoying... and a smaller shift key... the USA version has a larger shift
key... though the escape key still at a weird place...
This might be a somewhat annoying keyboard especially the EU version...
perhaps best to avoid this set all together to prevent getting shafted with
the EU version ! LOl.

Will have to look into a possibility better set... though if USA version
(?) available and can be ordered then it might be fine... or perhaps seek a
somewhat better looking combination... less dull..
the all black might be a bit dull... but also less distracting All
black does look a bit cheapish I think... but could also be a nice style not
sure yet.
Samsung monitor does have a bit of greyish tint on it... so perhaps a
slightly more grayish keyboard and mouse might look better or find another
monitor
Though the general look of this samsung monitor is appealing/nice...
don't know yet about the greyish thing but probably ok.

I also kinda like to have a nice usb stick... that sounds like fun... but
could also be somewhat dangerous with power and all... perhaps better to
avoid ubs stick to prevent short circuits and stupidities like that...
SSD chips perhaps safer to plug into a computer... though they require some
power too... but perhaps far less than usb ?!

So far unresolved components remain the most important ones concerning
cooling and stability and somewhat look and feel and sound:

1. CASE

2. CPU Cooler

3. Power Supply

4. Soundcard

5, Subwoofer

6. Optionally new speakers with high SNR for even better quality.

I will try to figure out how much power my selected components need.... this
is important for selecting the power supply

Time to sum up and see how much this system would cost me... this would be
my Dream system lol... I am willing to try it out one more time... if it
burns to death again... then perhaps no more in future.

Or I could decide to buy a cheaper system this time... to be able to buy a
new one sooner... as to not spent too much money and budget it a bit.

I already have a feeling it's going to be a bit expensive let's found out
how expensive... maybe some discount could be asked for ! :

This is not yet total price, but does give some indication:

Processor: 399 euros.

Motherboard: 289 euros.

Memory: 325.8 euros.

Graphics Card: 1129 Euros.

Harddisk(s): 1158 euros.

Power Supply: ?

Processor/CPU Cooler: ?

Case: ?

Soundcard: ?

Subwoofer: ?

Speakers: ?

Monitor: 649 euro.

Keyboard & Mouse Price: 23 euros.

Total price so far: 3972.8

Not to bad.

I like this price so far... my estimate for now is it will probably not
exceed 5000 euro...

Still a bit on the high side... but since I made an additional 1600 dollars
(with a special activitiy lol...) I will consider it about 3000 euros...

So that's okish...

Recommendations for missing components are welcome ! Any other feedback or
got-yas also welcome ! =D

Special remarks:

I am a bit disappointed about the inability to equip 64 GB of DDR4 RAM into
this system ?! As far as I can tell such a solution does not yet exist with
4 modules ?

So far it seems only 32 GB of RAM will fit onto this motherboard.

I will have a quick thought/think about it that... let's see...

My older PIII had 256 MB ram.

Then I went to AMD X2 3800+ for 4 GB of RAM... mostly 2 to 3 GB of ram was
necessary but lately 4 GB is nice too.

This is at least a 10 fold during that period of memory usage increase.

Currently 4 GB is being used... so for another 10 fold of memory uage: 40 GB
would be required... 32 GB is a bit short/low on the side there...

Hence 64 GB might have been better or 48 GB...

This system should at least last for 5 years, possible 10...

Not sure what the doubling rate of memory is... let's assume it's roughly
the same for kicks... I will constant a memory usage graph over time/years
later on..

But let's assume double each 1.5 years or so.

from now:
1.5 year: 8 gb
3 years: 16 gb
4.5 years: 32 gb
6 years: 64 gb
7.5 years: 128 gb
9 years: 256 gb
10.5 years: 512 gb.

Conclusion might be: 32 GB woofully short.

Now going to consult memory usage throughout the years.

Can't really find anything quickly so instead will revert to windows
requirements:

Windows 1995: 8 MB recommended
Windows 1998: 24 MB recommended
Windows XP 2001: 128 MB recommended
Windows XP x64 2005: 1 GB recommended
Windows 7 x64 2009: 2 GB recommended.

This recommendations a bit on the low side, but at least consistently on the
low side, good enough to figure out rate somewhat I think here goes:

8 1995
8x3 = 24 1998
24x3 = 72 2001
128x3 = 376 2004
376x3 = 1128 2007
1128x3 = 3384 2010
3384x3 = 10152 2013
10152x3 = 30456 2016

Roughly matches... but then look what happens... since 2007/2009 it
completely stalls ?!
2015: windows 10, still 2 GB of RAM recommended.

I guess this does prove system performance increases came to a screeching
halt... less processing capacity/power to process larges ammounts of data.

Anyway years could be shifted back and forth a bit by a few years... but
still...

At least to this chart above... 32 GB would already be reached in 2016.

Though windows 10 seems to have indicated memory usage came to screaming
halt

Though perhaps other operating systems will go over this.

Let's continue chart a little bit mo

30456x3 = 91368 2019
91368x3 = 274104 2022
274104x3 = 822312 2025
822312x3 = 2466936 2028

So around 2026, almost 10 years from now... since 2016 was supposed to be my
new PC year we'll be using 1 terrabyte of RAM.

Thus 32 GB seems woefully short... unfortunately... well that's the way it
goes...

Apperently nobody needs 1 terrabyte of ram just yet... but todays/tomorrow's
systems might be upgrade in future with much more memory.

Slighty unfortunate but not too much of a big problem... memory not that
expensive and can be replaced.

I'd just like to stuff it full right now... so I don't have to fiddle with
it in future... I guess production of such terrabyte chips not yet possible
? or no buying interest ?

Might and probably will have to upgrade this system in future.

However that does raise an interesting question:

Is this system capable of doing that ?

Unfortunately: A BIG FAT NO has to be given.

Current BIOS/Motherboard DESIGN limits memory to 64 GB which anybody can see
is woefully short assuming trippling continues.

Then I might face the same problem as with older systems: BIOS problems...
and BIOS flashing hassles.

It's unfortunate to see this industry has not yet learned it's lesson from
the past ?!?

Perhaps it's not possible for some reason to design a bios today that can
actually support 1 TERRABYTE of memory ?!?

Seeing this silly 64 GB limitation almost wants me to not purchase these
motherboards... but all seem to have the same problem/limitations... which
is kinda of annoying.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old September 12th 15, 03:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 12:13:55 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
Gave us:

Skybuck's DreamPC design for 2015,

No NVidia graphics subsystem? You're a lost puppy, you cross posting
retarded ****.

My only joy with you is the fact that you pay way too much for your
crap. errr.. I mean your mommy and daddy does.
Old September 12th 15, 03:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 9/12/2015 6:13 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
Skybuck's DreamPC design for 2015, version 1 initial draft (created on
12 september 2015 by Skybuck Flying):

Dream = unrealistic

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
Old September 12th 15, 04:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Skybuck's DreamPC design for 2015, version 1 initial draft (created on
12 september 2015 by Skybuck Flying):

"
Dream = unrealistic
"

It's not an SLI rig... but most of it... is pretty dreamy... terrabytes of
HD storage... big fat titan...

Though by now I and probably many others have come used to it.

A true DreamPC would have like 32 cores or so... but for now that remains to
expensive and too hot

What would be a better word to describe my latest PC ?

Skybuck's NextGen PC ? =D

Yeah that might be cooler... and prevent confusion with my DreamPC from
2005/2006

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Old September 12th 15, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

I know it's obvious: Skybuck's SkyPC ! =D though I'd like to reserve that
for something that truely touches the sky ! =D

Perhaps SkylakePC

But I don't like the "lake" part... reminds me too much of somebody crying a
lake together !

I do like Skybuck's DreamPC 2015 though too...

Something I've been looking forward too !

ForwardPC ? FuturePC ? WishPC ?

Hmmmmm... how about: StarwarsPC

Yeah... that sounds pretty cool... but I am not gonna put a darth vader logo
on it or anything like that or an x-wing...

Maybe ShinyNewPC or SunPC... something relating to the sky yeah..

Maybe SkydreamPC.

That sounds kinda nice...

Maybe BeautyPC... BootyPC haha...

SexyPC lol.

BlondPC lol.

BigBoobiesPC.

BizmarkPC.

HitlersPC hahahaha.

WW2PC.

TerminatorPC

That one kinda cool.

WarGeneralPC.

WARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPC.

Neh...

I like DreamPC too much for now ! =D Gonna stick with it for now...

Though I might have to tune it down...

Titan maybe too hot...

Maybe even Skylake 6700 too hot...

Though I could buy new motherboard in future if it fries as long as no data
lost...

Though maybe noisy... not completely sure yet...

Though I kinda wanna enjoy gaming again like I did with the original
DreamPC... but this time I will make more sure to keep it clean.

Hopefully that will prevent burns... and perhaps gear has evolved a bit...
cases around cards to keep the heat inside and not damage motherboard... and
perhaps better motherboard quality that can handle higher heat.

Not sure what called my motherboards... but it's safe to say it was heat...
could have been something else though... though since gfx removed with lower
hot... no more real problems like that.

VeryFastPC

GamingPC

SkygamerPC

BattlefrontPC ! =D YEAH =D

I kinda like BattlefrontPC too... but if game sux... then not. haha.

A bit too long BattlefrontPC !

How about DicePC or IntelPC ! =D

Or

ReturnOfTheKingPC LOL.

Or

KingPC

SUPERPC

I kinda like that... Skybuck's SuperPC ! =D

Though it not that super... there are faster processors still

Skybuck's Vengeance PC ! =D

Skybuck's DreamPCv2

HAHA ! =D

V2PC ! =D

Skybuck's VictoryPC !

Yeah that one I kinda like too... though I don't always win at rts !

Skybuck's DestructionPC or TransformersPC ! =D YEAH =D

Skybuck's OptimusPC ! =D too daddy like

Starbuck's PC ! =D Yeah that a cool one..

or just

Skybuck's PC... but I have multiple...

Skybuck's Main PC 2015.

I'll stick with DreamPC for 2015 for now ! =D

Yeah gotta continue the trend ! =D

Unless I decide to go the super efficient power route...

Then it may be:

EfficientPC

or

UnderpoweredPC ! Hihihi.

or

WeaklingPC

or

ReallyColdPC

or

CoolPC ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D

P.S.: I think not having slept much today might be getting to me... ya think
?! =D

Old September 12th 15, 04:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 9/12/2015 11:40 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
I know it's obvious: Skybuck's SkyPC ! =D though I'd like to reserve
that for something that truely touches the sky ! =D
P.S.: I think not having slept much today might be getting to me... ya
think ?! =D

You really should sleep more! Thank you for the effort.

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Old September 12th 15, 04:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

I have another concern though....

Windows 10 might be too spy-ie...

If Microsoft thinks they can simply own my data... then they are blistering
wrong... that might through a big wrench in the whole idea/project ?!

Perhaps Windows 7 or another operating system might do... but then I'd be
worried that some games won't work... especially for directx12 or so but
also others...

So gonna add that to the to-do list:

Figure out if I really want Windows 10, or shun the hell out of it ! =D

I think it might actually be the latter... which would be really bad ?!

Then might have to wait until either Microsoft goes kaputt... and
everybody/gaming industry switches to something else.

Or Microsoft wises up and changes gear/strategy.

However I have feeling Microsoft might be infiltrated by saboteurs... so it
might actually go tits up as TheRegister calls it !

Would be somewhat sad to see Microsoft go down in burning flames...

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Old September 12th 15, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

One possible alternative to building a new PC and getting possibly
crappy/spy-ie windows 10 is simply upgrading my current DreamPC with a
better graphics card.

I am not sure how much more performance that would give in most games...
probably a lot though... since currently it's just a GT 520.

But then I'd be scared the games are CPU bound and it's just a waste of
money... plus additional heat concerns...

Don't really want to loose this system right now...

Probably for future might be losing motherboards... not having a replacement
and future harddisks switching to something other than SATA leaving
terrabytes of data stranded...

That's a pretty horrible thought !

I may have to reconsider these hot components lol...

I perhaps stall my purchase a bit longer... not sure yet... might observe
other reports about these new components !

Hmmm...

Yes doubt start to kick in! =D

Not worth the money if the system gonna fokking die all the time ?! or
endangerous my data...

Maybe it be better to continue playing older games at somewhat higher
settings... or newer games on somewhat lower settings, with newer but less
hot hardware...

That kinda was the plan... hmmm...

Though I kinda wanna enjoy new games too... but maybe the new games not that
great... but still...

The new monitor is kinda dreamy though... that's sounds like coolness !

And for such a beast... a titan might be just the thing !

So lots of conflict going on... but right now I am tired... yeah have to go
sleep soon...

I wish systems like these would be test 24 hours non stop for a full year...
and then report how they did... perhaps even with a webcam on it.. so people
can see it for their own eyes...

That might give a bit more trust in todays hardware or not at all if it
fails a lot ! =D

I think the trust is a bit gone nowadays... with all this hotness going on
making me nervous... all this spy-ware stuff... making me nervous too
LOL

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Old September 12th 15, 09:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:29:43 -0700, Gave us:

Screen Space? How about a graphics card that supports dual monitors.

You had to requote 275 lines for that, you stupid ****?