Replace LCD CCFL Backlight with LEDs.

Old August 17th 15, 10:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

Default Replace LCD CCFL Backlight with LEDs.

Has anyone done this? My beloved Dell 2007FP (20" 4:3 UXGA [1600x1200] IPS)
monitor is getting dim. I've been having to use it on full brightness for a
while now and even then it's not bright and takes a while to reach full
brightness, maybe 15 seconds.

I'm not rich but could swing a few hundred for a new monitor if I absolutely
had to. However I've been spoiled with this monitor and nothing that I can
afford even comes close to being as good. I've got a multimeter, soldering
iron and more than half a brain and would much prefer to keep this montior
out of a landfill.

I've seen a few kits for sale to do the job (this is a cheap one
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/15-23...252220243.html )
but would feel better knowing that someone else here had successfully done
this mod. Also I'm concerned that, as IPS monitors don't transmit as much
light as TN monitors I might need a brighter than usual backlight.

Thoughts?
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old August 17th 15, 02:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

I'd stick with replacing with "like" technology.

And that's assuming there is actually an inverter or CCFL problem,
and not a problem with the PWM control signal or the power supply.

Odds are, it is an inverter/CCFL problem, with inverters being the
highest probability of failure.

The panel uses multiple CCFL tubes and multiple
inverters. A big panel might use four inverters and
sixteen tubes for example. Now, consider the failure
possibilities. If one CCFL tube turns brown before
the others, you'd notice a non-uniform display. Or,
if one inverter failed, a quadrant of the screen
would go dim. Given such a situation, is the
entire panel going dim ? Would all the inverters
"go on vacation" at the same time ? Unlikely.

Common points of failure, would be the PWM signal
(pulse width modulation, 200Hz, high for 66 cycles,
low for 134 cycles would be 33% intensity setting).
Or, perhaps the 12V power source feeding the inverters
is out of spec. If that was the case, maybe other
circuitry would suffer as well. There have been
monitors with poorly design supplies, power supplies
with leaking electrolytic capacitors. It would be
a shame to waste $100 on LED kits, only to find
the problem was a bad power supply.

I heartily recommend repairing things, where you
can "bound" the repair cost, and see ways of
preventing the repair bill from shooting too high.
Obviously, it's a personal judgment call, as to
how far to push this. If the monitor cost $1000,
I might consider making two repair attempts (CCFL
first, LEDs later if the CCFL didn't work out
for some reason). If the monitor cost $300, I'd
probably just bin it.

Those LED kits don't seem to have a diffuser in
evidence. How will the "ripple" in light intensity
from all those point sources be handled ? Will
the panel look like a "cheese grater" when displaying
an all-white background ?

The very last thing you want, is a repair job
where you're "reminded" every time you look
at the monitor, that you've fouled things up :-)
I know that feeling (the less than perfect repair).

Paul
Old August 18th 15, 01:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

Once upon a time on usenet Paul wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

The trouble with that is CCFL is pretty ancient tech which hasn't been used
in new monitors for a while now. Add to that the fact that I'm a bit of an
'LED evangelist', an early adopter who has been running all LED home
lighting and have converted my car to all (except headlights) LEDs. Also
CCFLs have a finite lifespan which is very short when compared with LEDs and
it would be nice to fix this problem once only. I'd like to be able to run
these monitors for a long time yet (I have two of them, my spare isn't quite
so dim). So I figured replace the backlights with LEDs and while I'm in
there check out the condition of the electrolytic capacitors.

But.....

[...]

Hmmm. The brightness still works, albeit only going from dim to dimmer so I
hope the PWM circuitry is still fine. It was always my intent to check the
PSU when I have it open. I do have the backup monitor on my second desktop
computer but that's used at least weekly by a friend who visits for gaming
session so I'd like to keep downtime to less than that.

I didn't realise there could be so many tubes. That's what you get for
estimating I suppose. My 15" UXGA IPS laptop screen has a single tube so,
knowing that desktop monitors often have tubes on two sides of the screen I
figured two tubes or perhaps two pairs of tubes as it's not *that* much
bigger than my laptop screen and they're both UXGA.

I heartily recommend repairing things, where you
can "bound" the repair cost, and see ways of
preventing the repair bill from shooting too high.
Obviously, it's a personal judgment call, as to
how far to push this. If the monitor cost $1000,
I might consider making two repair attempts (CCFL
first, LEDs later if the CCFL didn't work out
for some reason). If the monitor cost $300, I'd
probably just bin it.

Those LED kits don't seem to have a diffuser in
evidence. How will the "ripple" in light intensity
from all those point sources be handled ? Will
the panel look like a "cheese grater" when displaying
an all-white background ?

I wondered about that and thought that, if there's room I'd put two rows of
LEDs in each CCFL 'gully', staggered a few millimeters so that the light is
uniform, even arranging them in a V shape if it's tight....

The very last thing you want, is a repair job
where you're "reminded" every time you look
at the monitor, that you've fouled things up :-)
I know that feeling (the less than perfect repair).

How very true, I've done that before myself also.

Thanks Paul, you've given me some things to think about. I guess next step
is to swap the brighter one to my desk and open the other one up and have a
look-see. Fingers crossed that opening them isn't too hard!

Then again I could always procrastinate longer, keep turning the lights out
and drawing the curtain when I want to game. (I only use my desktops for
gaming, the rest of my computing needs are amply met by my well-specced T60
ThinkPad.)

Cheers,

Old August 20th 15, 02:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

Well I've found more info on these excellent monitors online since replying.
Apparently there are *six* CCFLs, three at the top and three at the bottom.
Also apparently the most likely cause of what I'm seeing is a big cap in
stage one of the PSU - a 180uF / 450v electrolytic that's the most common
weak point in these monitors.

A guy who replaced the cap in his said it looks like they'd be a good
candidate for an LED conversion but he was unable to isolate the soft menu
OSD brightness signal and needed to get his back together so didn't have
time to do it then. I wonder if I could use three of those LED kits
(staggering emmiters so they overlap) and add a physical PWM module for
brightness and mount it somehow? Something like http://www.dx.com/p/379683
perhaps?

Unfortunately I couldn't find the lead pitch and available space for a
replacement cap specified anywhere (or pictures to work that out) so I could
order one before pulling the monitor down. :-/ It seems they're a very
tightly joined screwless case that is a chalenge to anyone opening them. I
hope my plastic hasn't got brittle.

Old August 20th 15, 05:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

That cap with the 450V rating, is probably the primary
side main capacitor. That would be roughly equivalent
to C5 or C6 in this schematic. I've never ever had
a primary cap of the C5/C6 type fail. If you work out
the number of joules some of these capacitors
hold, you'll understand why it's important they
don't fail.

http://www.pavouk.org/hw/en_atxps.html

I'm more used to output caps failing, such as C30 or C27
on the right-hand edge of the schematic. If those were
failing, there might be more ripple on the output
voltage (not a steady DC).

*******

To make a PWM signal, your monitor already does that,
and one of the signals on each inverter interface
cable, carries PWM. It could be a 5V logic signal
for example, or, it could be driven by an open collector
transistor on a logic board, and be pulled up to
+12V on the inverter end.

The PWM signal might vary between 30% on and 100% on.
The PWM signal might not be adjustable below 30%.
That's because currently, the monitor is using
CCFL tubes, and the CCFL tubes won't stay lit
if the duty cycle of the PWM signal is too low.

If the LEDs you've selected, are way too bright for
the job, now you might need the PWM to adjust below
30%, to 15% or 8%. The LEDs should be able to go
practically all the way to zero, with the right
selection of PWM design (i.e. PWM signal might
be derived from a different master clock
than the one you'd use for a CCFL).

So maybe the PWM signal currently used by the
monitor, looks like this.

+5V +------+ +------+ Approx
GND ---+ +-------------+ +--------------

Maybe for a LED one, 200Hz would be too irritating.
Maybe 400Hz, at 8% duty cycle, to drop the intensity.

+5V +-+ +-+ +-+ +-+ Approx
GND ---+ +--------+ +--------+ +--------+ +---

So what you're making, when generating a PWM
signal, is a pulse generator with adjustable duty
cycle. And if you make a good guess on the frequency,
maybe that part of it never needs to be adjusted.

To give the PWM "resolution", the master clock
must run at a much higher speed. Say you wanted
the adjustment knob to have 256 intensities. Then
the master clock would need to run 256 times the
final clock rate. So 256*400 = 102.4KHz. You might
be able to make a signal like that, with a 555 or
some other form of cheesy oscillator.

To make the waveform, you could use two eight-bit
counters. One counter simply counts to 256
over and over again. That defines the time from
one rising edge of the output waveform to the
next rising edge. The other counter, clocks
at 102.4KHz, but it uses preload terminals.
Say you load it to 253 decimal. It counts
253, 254, 255. When it hits 255, the Carry_Out
on the counter is asserted. You tie the
Carry_out terminal to the Disable input.
That stops the counter from changing state. It
stays at 255, until the other counter, the divide
by 256 gets to its full count, and a signal from
that one, trips the preload on the programmable
counter, and starts it at 253 again. You connect
an eight bit DIP switch to the preload terminals
of the counter, to input a number like 253
(for a low value of PWM), or maybe a value of 25
for high brightness. The DIP switch eight bit value,
then is your "user interface" for setting the
screen intensity.

You build discrete circuits like this, with jelly bean
logic, when retrofitting circuits in old gear.
A teenager building this circuit, would use a PIC
and he would be finished by now :-)

The above isn't very practical, and there are certainly
other ways to do it. For example, you might be
able to use a 4538 monostable, a couple of RC
circuits, and use potentiometers to make the
timimg of the waveform. And then one of the pots
becomes the intensity control. This is simpler
than the counter idea, and has as much resolution
as the potentiometer will allow.

Hobbyists love to build stuff like this :-)

The only way projects like this are practical,
is if you have another monitor to use, until
the duff one is fixed.

Paul
Old September 4th 15, 01:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

Sorry for not replying Paul, this project is on hold for now but I've savd
everything you've contributed, thanks.

That cap with the 450V rating, is probably the primary
side main capacitor. That would be roughly equivalent
to C5 or C6 in this schematic. I've never ever had
a primary cap of the C5/C6 type fail. If you work out
the number of joules some of these capacitors
hold, you'll understand why it's important they
don't fail.

http://www.pavouk.org/hw/en_atxps.html

Yeah, odd I know. However I read a lengthy account of how someone had
increased the brightness of their backlights and they started to flicker on
and off constantly. When the case was opened that capacitor was leaky and
when replaced the problem went away.

Also I had a primary side capacitor blow its top in an Enermax PSU many
years ago. The PSU was used and had been on my shelf for a few months, I
fitted it into a PC case, hooked everything up and flicked the power switch
on the back of the PSU and it went off like a shotgun. It split the top of
the can and blew the black plastic disk that sat there through the slots in
the PSU case and right across the room. My ears were ringing for hours.

I'm more used to output caps failing, such as C30 or C27
on the right-hand edge of the schematic. If those were
failing, there might be more ripple on the output
voltage (not a steady DC).

I also am more familiar with output caps failing.

*******

> [...]

for high brightness. The DIP switch eight bit value,
then is your "user interface" for setting the
screen intensity.

You build discrete circuits like this, with jelly bean
logic, when retrofitting circuits in old gear.
A teenager building this circuit, would use a PIC
and he would be finished by now :-)

The above isn't very practical, and there are certainly
other ways to do it. For example, you might be
able to use a 4538 monostable, a couple of RC
circuits, and use potentiometers to make the
timimg of the waveform. And then one of the pots
becomes the intensity control. This is simpler
than the counter idea, and has as much resolution
as the potentiometer will allow.

Hobbyists love to build stuff like this :-)

The only way projects like this are practical,
is if you have another monitor to use, until

I do have two of these monitors that are identical which is part of the
reason I think it's worth working out how to run LED backlights. The second
monitor was on my guest machine and used much less often. However since I
swapped them in preparation to pulling the dim one down (and waiting for the
NZ$ to recover a bit) the brighter one (backlight set at 60%) has developed
'flickery lines' when used in game. That's not a backlight issue and is more
likely to be the low voltage smoothing caps maybe? The graphics card GPU and
RAM isn't O/Ced and was fine previously (although I know that doesn't rule
out it recently developing a problem).

Cheers,

Old September 4th 15, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

~misfit~ wrote:

Also I had a primary side capacitor blow its top in an Enermax PSU many
years ago. The PSU was used and had been on my shelf for a few months, I
fitted it into a PC case, hooked everything up and flicked the power switch
on the back of the PSU and it went off like a shotgun. It split the top of
the can and blew the black plastic disk that sat there through the slots in
the PSU case and right across the room. My ears were ringing for hours.

Having been present for a similar event, and losing hearing in
one ear for ten minutes (my right ear), I can sympathize. One
of the reasons I do the math and work out the joules on
some of these things now, is after my little "hearing" event.

And that's why you don't want those to fail. Too hard on the ears.

I do have two of these monitors that are identical which is part of the
reason I think it's worth working out how to run LED backlights. The second
monitor was on my guest machine and used much less often. However since I
swapped them in preparation to pulling the dim one down (and waiting for the
NZ$ to recover a bit) the brighter one (backlight set at 60%) has developed
'flickery lines' when used in game. That's not a backlight issue and is more
likely to be the low voltage smoothing caps maybe? The graphics card GPU and
RAM isn't O/Ced and was fine previously (although I know that doesn't rule
out it recently developing a problem).

Cheers,

At the rate you're going, you're going to need a new monitor anyway.
To have something that works well enough to use.

The flicker problem can be due to a technique described here.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mon...ameters_4.html

Paul

Old September 4th 15, 08:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

~misfit~ wrote:

Also I had a primary side capacitor blow its top in an Enermax PSU
many years ago. The PSU was used and had been on my shelf for a few
months, I fitted it into a PC case, hooked everything up and flicked
the power switch on the back of the PSU and it went off like a
shotgun. It split the top of the can and blew the black plastic disk
that sat there through the slots in the PSU case and right across
the room. My ears were ringing for hours.

Having been present for a similar event, and losing hearing in
one ear for ten minutes (my right ear), I can sympathize. One
of the reasons I do the math and work out the joules on
some of these things now, is after my little "hearing" event.

And that's why you don't want those to fail. Too hard on the ears

Heck yeah! I was leaning over the open case to reach the switch at the back
when it went, my left ear less than a foot from the top of the capacitor.

I do have two of these monitors that are identical which is part of
the reason I think it's worth working out how to run LED backlights.
The second monitor was on my guest machine and used much less often.
However since I swapped them in preparation to pulling the dim one
down (and waiting for the NZ$ to recover a bit) the brighter one
(backlight set at 60%) has developed 'flickery lines' when used in
game. That's not a backlight issue and is more likely to be the low
voltage smoothing caps maybe? The graphics card GPU and RAM isn't
O/Ced and was fine previously (although I know that doesn't rule out
it recently developing a problem).

At the rate you're going, you're going to need a new monitor anyway.
To have something that works well enough to use.

Yeah. I have a couple of old 15" 1024 x 768 LCD monitors that I kept for
testing machines (as they were only worth about $10 when I thought to get
rid of them). However going from 1600 x 1200 to one of those, even for a
short time would be horrendous.

The flicker problem can be due to a technique described here.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mon...ameters_4.html

No it's not that, at least not on my monitor that's intermittently playing
up. With mine it's just a few lines of pixels that flicker, about a quarter
of the way up the screen and another row about halfway up (at least both
times I've noticed it). They don't flicker on and off so much as change
colour, kind of like the "artifacts' you'd see if the GPU card RAM was shot
only they stay in the same places. My low-pain time is rather overcommited
at the moment so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers,

LEDs [email protected] General 1 August 3rd 14 12:24 AM
CCFL or Inverter? Grinder General 6 February 20th 12 11:32 PM
Replace CCFL based screen with LED? Justin[_11_] Dell Computers 1 January 19th 11 12:18 PM
dell inspiron e1505 ccfl & inverter faint notepad screen again sammy[_2_] Homebuilt PC's 1 January 5th 10 07:03 PM
LCD backlight [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 3 April 17th 05 02:49 PM