Optiplex GX620 (tower)

Old March 11th 06, 08:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Optiplex GX620 (tower)

I'm just starting to look at the Optiplex GX620 as my next computer.
Looking at the pictures on the Dell site, it does not appear to come with
PS/2 connectors for mouse and keyboard.

But, I found this:

"Also, look at the Optiplex gx620, i just sold one, have it in front of
me for prepping, a real screamer. got gx620 mini tower 3.4ghz, starts
at $800. then add your tvcard. get the 128mb video card, also paid $10
for the ps2 ports, very nice. parallel port is there. this is the best
you can buy, you wont be sorry here. Cost was $1100 complete. or $1300
with 19in flat. config was 250gb, xppro, 1gb ram. onboard sound was
fine, could have added audigy w/firewire for another $60."

Notice that he says that he paid $10 for the ps2 ports.
Does this mean that your can have PS\2 connectors as an option?

darkrats

Old March 11th 06, 12:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 07:54:28 GMT, "darkrats" wrote:

I'm just starting to look at the Optiplex GX620 as my next computer.
Looking at the pictures on the Dell site, it does not appear to come with
PS/2 connectors for mouse and keyboard.

But, I found this:

"Also, look at the Optiplex gx620, i just sold one, have it in front of
me for prepping, a real screamer. got gx620 mini tower 3.4ghz, starts
at $800. then add your tvcard. get the 128mb video card, also paid $10
for the ps2 ports, very nice. parallel port is there. this is the best
you can buy, you wont be sorry here. Cost was $1100 complete. or $1300
with 19in flat. config was 250gb, xppro, 1gb ram. onboard sound was
fine, could have added audigy w/firewire for another $60."

Notice that he says that he paid $10 for the ps2 ports.
Does this mean that your can have PS\2 connectors as an option?

darkrats

darkrats,

The PS/2 connectors are indeed an option. I recently purchased a GX620 for home
use and selected this option. The connectors (PS/2 keyboard, PS/2 mouse and
serial port) are on a PCI card installed in the bottom slot. Turns out I have not
used them - I have been using the USB keyboard and USB mouse that came with the
system.

I pretty much maxed the machine -
3.0GHz dual core P4
2GB memory
10kRPM 80GB WD SATA boot disk (I found this drive to be incredibly noisy - it
"clunks" to the point of distraction. I purchased a 7200RPM Hitachi SATA disk to
replace it and am much happier with it.)
7200RPM 250GB WD SATA-II disk
DVD-ROM & DVD-RW
Floppy disk drive (I just can't let go of the past )
128MB Radeon X600SE video card (DVI/S-Video connectors with a DVI/VGA adaptor
plug)
56K modem
PS/2 connectors
Win XP Pro SP2 with media (and you are NOT forced to take a pile of software you
will never use)
Drivers CD
Reference manual

I am very happy with the GX620 (with the exception of the noisy WD 10K disk) and
it is very fast. I replaced a 1GHz P3 with the GX620 and the difference in
performance is amazing. I love the tooless chasis. The interior is neatly done
and roomy.

Gary
Old March 11th 06, 04:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

i wrote the text you quoted and you can get the ps2 ports as an option.
it actually doesnt take up any of the pci slots, just one of the
openings on the back for a bracket. it connects to the motherboard.
it really is an amazing machine. get a 3.2 or 3.4, the price points are
better.
Jay

Old March 11th 06, 07:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Thanks for the information.

1. Can you direct me to any webpage that gives additional informtion on this
option?

2. If one of the openings is occupied by the PS/2 adapter, does that render
that particular PCI slot useless, or can it still be used for something?

darkrats

Old March 11th 06, 07:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Just to clarify my question:

If the PS/2 adapter occupies one of the slot openings at the back, does that
render the PCI slot that would normally use that opening useless? I
understand that the other openings/slots are not affected.

I'd sure like to get some additional information, like a download of the
Quick Guide for the GX620, or a diagram of the motherboard, and other stuff
similar to this.

darkrats

--------------------------

"Jay B" wrote in message ...
as i recall, the way it is positioned, it does not render any of the other
slots useless. just look towards the bottom of the first optiplex order
page, and you will see it listed there.

Old March 11th 06, 07:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Here is the link for the user guides
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc.../ug/tindex.htm

it sits in the opening for slot4, which is where the pciexpress x1
connector is so it will prevent a card from being used in this slot.
i have yet to see a use for the pciex1 connector anyway.

why are you so hungup about this ps2 connector?
the new usb keyboard that comes with it is great! you wont ever want to
use your old keyboard anyway.
what are you trying to do with the computer?
how are you planning on expanding it?
perhaps i can shed some light if you plan is going to work.
Jay

Old March 11th 06, 08:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Thanks for the link. Very specific information on the GX620.

I like to have a system that's pretty flexible. I'd like the PS/2 option for
the same reason I want to keep a floppy drive, just because I may want to
use it someday. Always had PS/2 mice/keyboards. I even like the idea that
the GX620 comes with a parallel port, although I don't have anything that
might be able to use it!

Old March 11th 06, 11:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

I bad. The PS/2 connector board does not use a PCI slot. As Jay stated, it sits
in the bottom slot position and is cable connected to the mobo. Had I to do it
again, I would not have bothered with it (although it is really cheap). Also, as
Jay stated, the standard USB keyboard is fine. However, I would not do without
the floppy disk drive.

Gary