Android for my Acer Aspire One

Old July 5th 15, 10:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.mobile.android
Richard Kettlewell

Default Android for my Acer Aspire One

"s|b" writes:
Richard Kettlewell wrote:
Looks fine to from here. (The syntax is quite liberal about whitespace)

Learned something new today! :-)

Did you mean the Newsgroups: header, BTW?

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Old July 6th 15, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.mobile.android
s|b

On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 22:02:34 +0100, Richard Kettlewell wrote:

Did you mean the Newsgroups: header, BTW?

Yes! Sorry, my mistake!

--
s|b
Old July 6th 15, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.mobile.android
Frank Slootweg

Richard Kettlewell wrote:
Frank Slootweg writes:
Richard Kettlewell wrote:
"s|b" writes:
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:53:05 -0700, Norm X wrote:
This message is X-posted to alt.comp.hardware & comp.mobile.android.

Not sure, but I don't think it made it to comp.mobile.android. There's a
space in your Newsreader header.

Looks fine to from here. (The syntax is quite liberal about
whitespace)

No the syntax is *not* quite liberal. It's only that many News servers
or/and newsreaders are 'liberal' about accepting/processing crap from
non-compliant newsreaders. But to be fair, we can't expect them to
already get it after only three-plus decades, can we!? :-(

What did you have in mind?

In the older standards/RFCs a space *between newsgropups* in the
Newsgroups: header was not allowed. So the OP's header

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware, comp.mobile.android

was not allowed.

The newer/current standards/RFCs are more lenient, because they allow
for FWS (Folding White Space), but as the name implies, that's intended
for *folding* (too) long lines, not for use within a short line.

Because there is always a lot of old(er) software around, the mantra
is "Be strict in what you send and lenient in what you accept.". So the
OP's newsreader SHOULD NOT have put the space in the list of newsgroups,
but other software - News servers and newsreaders alike - SHOULD accept
the 'broken' Newsgroups: header, and the latter is exactly what
happened.

--
Frank Slootweg, (also) News Admin in a previous life.
Old July 6th 15, 08:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.mobile.android
Richard Kettlewell

Frank Slootweg writes:
Richard Kettlewell wrote:
Frank Slootweg writes:
Richard Kettlewell wrote:
"s|b" writes:
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:53:05 -0700, Norm X wrote:
This message is X-posted to alt.comp.hardware & comp.mobile.android.

Not sure, but I don't think it made it to comp.mobile.android. There's a
space in your Newsreader header.

Looks fine to from here. (The syntax is quite liberal about
whitespace)

No the syntax is *not* quite liberal. It's only that many News servers
or/and newsreaders are 'liberal' about accepting/processing crap from
non-compliant newsreaders. But to be fair, we can't expect them to
already get it after only three-plus decades, can we!? :-(

What did you have in mind?

In the older standards/RFCs a space *between newsgropups* in the
Newsgroups: header was not allowed. So the OP's header

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware, comp.mobile.android

was not allowed.

850 and 1036 are rather vague but they do incorporate 822 by reference,
and 822 allows arbitrary whitespace between tokens. So whitespace
allowed in Newsgroups: is at least a plausible interpretation, though in
the absence of a proper grammar you can’t say anything for sure.

You can look at the early implementations though, and it seems B News
accepted spaces in the Newsgroups: header. So in your view of the world
I guess the rot had already set in by the mid 1980s. Personally I’m
skeptical about this idea that everyone including early server
implementors has been getting it wrong for 30 years.

The newer/current standards/RFCs are more lenient, because they allow
for FWS (Folding White Space), but as the name implies, that's intended
for *folding* (too) long lines, not for use within a short line.

Because there is always a lot of old(er) software around, the mantra
is "Be strict in what you send and lenient in what you accept.". So the
OP's newsreader SHOULD NOT have put the space in the list of newsgroups,
but other software - News servers and newsreaders alike - SHOULD accept
the 'broken' Newsgroups: header, and the latter is exactly what
happened.

Well, the statement was about what the syntax is, not about what it may
or may not have been in 1981, and 5536 is the current spec, so I’m
content that it stands.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Old July 6th 15, 10:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.mobile.android
Frank Slootweg

Richard Kettlewell wrote:
Frank Slootweg writes:
Richard Kettlewell wrote:
Frank Slootweg writes:

Newsgroups: header was not allowed. So the OP's header

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware, comp.mobile.android

was not allowed.

850 and 1036 are rather vague but they do incorporate 822 by reference,
and 822 allows arbitrary whitespace between tokens. So whitespace
allowed in Newsgroups: is at least a plausible interpretation, though in
the absence of a proper grammar you can?t say anything for sure.

I understand what you're saying, but 1036 referencing 822 does not
mean that everything in 822 applies back to 1036.

1036 is only 'vague' in the sense that it does not specifically say
that a space isn't allowed. But argueing that something is allowed if
it's not specifically forbidden, is a logical fallacy.

You can look at the early implementations though, and it seems B News
accepted spaces in the Newsgroups: header. So in your view of the world
I guess the rot had already set in by the mid 1980s. Personally I?m
skeptical about this idea that everyone including early server
implementors has been getting it wrong for 30 years.

AFAIK, INN has been warning for this. Don't know what it does in it's
current release nor if the behaviour is configurable.

My newsreader - tin - warns and refuses to post:

Error: The "Newsgroups:" line has spaces in it that MUST be removed.
The only allowable space is the one separating the colon (
from the contents. Use a comma (,) to separate multiple
newsgroup names.

While my version is rather old, I don't think the current version is
different (I don't think Urs would allow that! :-)).

The newer/current standards/RFCs are more lenient, because they allow
for FWS (Folding White Space), but as the name implies, that's intended
for *folding* (too) long lines, not for use within a short line.

Because there is always a lot of old(er) software around, the mantra
is "Be strict in what you send and lenient in what you accept.". So the
OP's newsreader SHOULD NOT have put the space in the list of newsgroups,
but other software - News servers and newsreaders alike - SHOULD accept
the 'broken' Newsgroups: header, and the latter is exactly what
happened.

Well, the statement was about what the syntax is, not about what it may
or may not have been in 1981, and 5536 is the current spec, so I?m
content that it stands.

Yes, your statement was and is correct. I'm just pointing out whether
or not that statement is really relevant and whether the accepted
practice is recommended practice. The motto is still "Don't break
something if you don't have to!".

Well, wasn't that a nice topic change from that boring Android/Linux
stuff!? :-)

AFAIC, EOD, but feel free to continue if you want.
Old July 7th 15, 08:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.mobile.android
Ammammata

Il giorno Sun 05 Jul 2015 05:53:05a, *Norm X* inviava su
comp.mobile.android il messaggio .
Vediamo cosa scrisse:

I have a couple of different Linux
that boot from partitions on an external USB HHD, but Linux is not the
answer.

I'd give a try to http://lxle.net/
I also tried android-x86 on a core2-duo, it continuously hangs, it's
unusable
when I want to play android on my pc I use Bluestacks (Andy sucks, didn't
work, never)

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

............ [ al lavoro ] ...........
Old July 7th 15, 11:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware, comp.mobile.android
Norm X

On 2015-07-05 1:18 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
Theo Markettos wrote:
Norm X wrote:
Readers comments on installing Android on my x86 Acer netbook are most
welcome. I know that x86 versions of Android are out there but I am
hoping for some high numbers like KitKat 4.4, or whatever.

Modern Android ( 4.0) requires a GPU else things are very very slow. I
don't know what GPU you have, but I imagine the drivers are nonexistent
or terrible.

Android is also not terribly fun without a touchscreen.

It's possibly someone has cooked up a build of Android for your particular
machine, but otherwise I wouldn't expect a smooth experience with a generic
x86 Android.

I'd stick with a lightweight distro of Linux, which is more likely to be
usable on your hardware.

Exactly! Norm X's Acer Aspire One (AAO) probably came with such a
lightweight distro of Linux, namely 'Linpus', a (Red Hat) Fedora
derivative, at least that's what my AAO had. It 'even' came with a
re-install CD. The AAO doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, but it shouldn't be
too hard to convert the CD to a bootable image on a USB memory-stick.

Anyway, Android sucks, there's no reason to infest a perfectly good
netbook with it! :-)

That is right. I had to reinstall Limpus twice once every six months.
You know Einsteins definition of insanity, so not insane, I install
winXP on the 8 GB Intel Z-P230 SSD. I think that the fixed swapfile
partition killed Limpus on the Z-P230 SSD. On the other hand WinXP has a
relocatable pagefile and file file repair tools. WinXP lived on the
Z-P230 SSD for five years until the Z-P230 SSD was so worn out that it
failed 100%.
Old September 7th 15, 01:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.mobile.android
Norm X

On 2015-07-04 8:53 PM, Norm X wrote:
Hi,

This message is X-posted to alt.comp.hardware & comp.mobile.android.

My Acer Aspire One netbook no longer boots. In one case I blame
Microsoft. I used update on my Win7 partition and now, no matter what I
do, I end up with a blue screen. In another case, I messed up the
drivers on the WinXP partition. I had graduated to a faster SDXC card
and I tried to remove an unwanted device driver and I was not careful.
It is the same story for the WinXP partition, blue screen.

My 2008 Acer Aspire One is a nice piece of hardwa three USB ports,
two SD ports, Ethernet, a 600x1024 screen & an Intel Atom CPU. It now
has 1.5 GB RAM installed. It originally came with an 8 GB Intel Z-P230
SSD system drive that was sadly deficient. I have replaced that with a
nominally 32 GB SuperTalent SSD, that is pretty solid. That much storage
allowed me to partition and dual boot WinXP and Win7.

Now that Windows only gives a blue screen, wisdom dictates that I keep
the hardware and throw away Windows. I have a couple of different Linux
that boot from partitions on an external USB HHD, but Linux is not the
answer. Like Windows, I think Android thrives on an internal system drive.

Readers comments on installing Android on my x86 Acer netbook are most
welcome. I know that x86 versions of Android are out there but I am
hoping for some high numbers like KitKat 4.4, or whatever.

Help me please with an ISO URL.

As is my habit, I am going to answer this myself since I did not get a
good answer from the news groups.

I downloaded android-x86-4.4-r2.iso from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/android-x86/
(android-x86-4.4-r3.iso) is now the current release.
One needs to accept a little trial and error for this project.
I installed Android 4.4 onto a low profile 8GB Sandisk Cruzer fit USB
flash. Grub offers four boot selections, one of which support my VGA HD
monitor. Android 4.4 is very crisp and clean in appearance on an HD
monitor. Android 4.4 recognizes and reads the file systems on my exFAT
SDHC card and my external USB HDD. It runs well with 1.5 GB RAM
installed and I have not come close to using all memory. After some
error, I selected 2045 MB user storage and now I have a lot of room for
apps from Google Play. The HP printer plugin connects to my wireless
inkjet printer.
According to claims, Android 4.3 started to support TRIM for SSD storage
so maybe this install will last many years.
In conclusion, Android-x86 can restore spark into an old Acer Aspire One.