TV and HDMI

Old August 19th 15, 02:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default TV and HDMI

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 08:34:58 -0400, wrote:

I have been using SONY TV to watch movies, using TVMC/KODI.

I have that app on my laptop, which is connected to my TV via HDMI. My
TV has three HDMI ports (HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3), of which one of course
is connected to a Verizon 'set-top box'. My TV remote enables me to
select the HDMI of choice.
Up to now, I have always had HDMI1 connected to Verizon. I connect
the laptop to HDMI2 or HDMI3. I used HDMI2 at the start, and always
left it there.

My procedure was always to use the remote to select HDMI1 if I want to
watch Verizon channels and HDMI2 if I wanted to watch movies from my
laptop. I would boot up the laptop, connect it to HDMI2 or 3 if it is
not already there, and start TVMC and a movie of choice. When I flip
the TV HDMI selection to HDMI2, the movie magically showed on the TV
screen. Worked flawlessly for months.

Now suddenly it no longer works. It will show the selected movie just
fine, but when I flip the TV HDMI selection back to HDMI1 and turn
Verizon remote back on to a station, nada. The TV screen is blank,
showing 'no input'. In fact, I can turn everything off, and back on
again, and I still get nothing.
I can disconnect the laptop HDMI and I still get nothing.
I can change the Verizon HDMI connection to HDMI2 or 3 and I still get
nothing. If I turn everything off and count to 100, and turn things
(TV and Verizon only) back on, I get Verizon
on whatever HDMI port I choose.

It is almost like my TV HDMI ports have broke or they are confoosed. I
have messed with the TV remote until I am blue in the face. Things
remain in this unworkable state.

If I leave the laptop and its HDMI cable disconnected, and go with
Verizon connection only, things stay okay - we can watch Verizon in
the normal way.

Suggestions?

Alan

---

Old August 19th 15, 05:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

wrote:

[...]

I would attempt to debug with some other device.
Like maybe a camcorder with HDMI output. That
has two desirable properties. When run off batteries,
it floats electrically. When sending a playback signal
from some video you shot, it has no reason to assert
"Do Not Copy", nor use HDCP encryption. I would
use that as a test stimulus for the HDMI.

A standalone DVD player, might float electrically (use
a two-pronged power plug with no safety ground), but
it may use HDCP to encrypt the signal on the way to
the TV set.

Since you eventually get the ports to run, it isn't
a physical layer problem (damage).

And the TV OSD, may not be giving you as much diagnostic
information as it could. "No signal" for example, might not
mean "No signal", it might mean a signal is present, and
"I'm not allowed to play it". You can't rely on the TV
telling you everything it knows.

Paul
Old August 29th 15, 10:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 12:10:45 -0400, Paul wrote:

[...]

Thanks for responding Paul.
Again.

Sorry for my lack of acknowedgement. I have been busy otherwise.
I will try to substitute another HDMI device if I can come up with
one. I may not have one.

The problem persists - as if the TV HDMI controller has died and gone
to Heaven.

Alan
Old August 29th 15, 10:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 05:36:15 -0400, wrote:

[...]

I shud have added that right now all I have with HDMI is my laptop and
the Verizon 'set top box'.

Alan

The problem persists - as if the TV HDMI controller has died and gone
to Heaven.

Alan

HDMI do I need it? Rene Lamontagne Homebuilt PC's 2 May 27th 11 03:16 PM
M3A-H/HDMI ROB Asus Motherboards 12 May 25th 08 01:03 PM
HDMI and SLI [email protected] Nvidia Videocards 0 January 28th 08 05:22 AM
4GB on M2A-VM HDMI Sudsy Asus Motherboards 2 October 27th 07 07:01 PM
HDMI? 78 Ati Videocards 2 November 23rd 04 01:22 PM