P5A-B: maximum HDD size ?

Old June 3rd 04, 10:09 PM
Joachim Klein

Default P5A-B: maximum HDD size ?

Hi again !
Something completely different: I am just assembling a "new" machine for my
neighbour (he had an Intel P1 90 MHz up to now :-)
As he didnīt want to spend much money I got the latest board fitting his old
BAT-case: the Asus P5A-B with a K62-350 and 128 MB RAM.
As his old HDD has a cutting edge size of 200 MB (*MB*, not GB ! :-) I would
like to "implant" my old Maxtor U54098U8 with 40 GB
Will it be recognized or do I need a Promise Ultra 100 or something similar
???

Thanx a billion in advance for your precious advice !

Cya -

Joachim

Old June 3rd 04, 11:06 PM
Roland Scheidegger

Joachim Klein wrote:
Hi again !
Something completely different: I am just assembling a "new" machine for my
neighbour (he had an Intel P1 90 MHz up to now :-)
As he didnīt want to spend much money I got the latest board fitting his old
BAT-case: the Asus P5A-B with a K62-350 and 128 MB RAM.
As his old HDD has a cutting edge size of 200 MB (*MB*, not GB ! :-) I would
like to "implant" my old Maxtor U54098U8 with 40 GB
Will it be recognized or do I need a Promise Ultra 100 or something similar
???

Board should recognize harddisks up to 128GB correctly with newest beta
bios (of course, with a promise ultra 100 it would be somewhat faster,
but if you're going to upgrade from a 200MB it will probably be a lot
faster than what you currently have anyway ;-)). With older bios only 32GB.

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIO...t/ALI_V/P5A-B/

Roland
Old June 3rd 04, 11:52 PM
Joachim Klein

Thanx, thatīs exactly what I wantef to know. So Iīll flash BIOS *before*
trying to install an OS !
Thanx again ! ;.)

Cya -

Joachim

Old June 4th 04, 12:10 AM
DaveW

You'll have to use the Promise PCI card. The BIOS will NOT recognize that
size of harddrive.

--
DaveW

Old June 4th 04, 12:22 AM
Roland Scheidegger

DaveW wrote:
You'll have to use the Promise PCI card. The BIOS will NOT recognize that
size of harddrive.

http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/fa...gb_ide_hdd.htm

Roland
Old June 6th 04, 02:11 AM
Joachim Klein

Roland is definitely right - with the latest beta bios my 40 GB Maxtor runs
flawlessly with the onboard IDE...

Cya -

Joachim

Old June 7th 04, 06:53 AM
Art Mosher

You might note the comments re P5A running poorly with AMD CPU's on
Jan Steunebrink's BIOS site

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

By the way, I have been using his BIOS for my AMD 450 TX97's &
P/I55T2P4's & 40/60GB HD's for years. Though I needed drive overlays
for W98.

- Art

Old June 10th 04, 12:53 PM
Phĸltęr

"Joachim Klein" astounded us with:
:

Hi again !
Something completely different: I am just assembling a "new" machine
for my neighbour (he had an Intel P1 90 MHz up to now :-)
As he didnīt want to spend much money I got the latest board fitting his
old BAT-case: the Asus P5A-B with a K62-350 and 128 MB RAM.
As his old HDD has a cutting edge size of 200 MB (*MB*, not GB ! :-) I
would like to "implant" my old Maxtor U54098U8 with 40 GB
Will it be recognized or do I need a Promise Ultra 100 or something
similar ???

Thanx a billion in advance for your precious advice !

Cya -

Joachim

My wife's "The Sims" machine is a P5A-B with a 40 gig "Western Digital"
128 Mb of PC100 RAM
AMD K6-2-500
SB live!
Nvidia GeForce2 MX-200
BIOS is 1011 beta 005
Windows Millennium
HD partitioned to 8 gig and 31 odd gig to keep the cluster size down.
Runs sweet...

--
Gene P

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 10:49 PM
InCD maximum file size problem. Steve North Cdr 2 January 17th 04 11:31 PM
maximum size hard drive. Rob General 5 December 19th 03 08:23 PM
Exceed mobo maximum HD size with RAID? kony General 1 July 21st 03 05:32 AM