Newbie needs help.

Old April 17th 04, 01:30 PM
Jim Kelley

Default Newbie needs help.

Hello everyone,

I've been working hard to fix my computer, and I really need some help from
all you experts out there.

I fried my sound card once, so I replaced it. Now when I put my case back on
(AT), the computer reboots. I have replaced the power supply, put in new
RAM, sound card, various cables, and even tried another network card. It
seems when the computer is working hard (100% CPU usage) it boots.

Anyway, this problem is boggling my mind. Any help out there would greatly
be appreciated. By the way, I have an AMD K6-III 450.

Thanks,

Jim Kelley.

Old April 17th 04, 05:41 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've been working hard to fix my computer, and I really need some help from
all you experts out there.

I fried my sound card once, so I replaced it. Now when I put my case back on
(AT), the computer reboots. I have replaced the power supply, put in new
RAM, sound card, various cables, and even tried another network card. It
seems when the computer is working hard (100% CPU usage) it boots.

Anyway, this problem is boggling my mind. Any help out there would greatly
be appreciated. By the way, I have an AMD K6-III 450.

Thanks,

Jim Kelley.

Is the processor fan running????? An overheating CPU often causes
reboots. How about your CPU voltage settings? Are they correct??

Old April 18th 04, 09:22 AM
Onideus Mad Hatter

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 12:30:31 GMT, "Jim Kelley" wrote:

Hello everyone,

I've been working hard to fix my computer, and I really need some help from
all you experts out there.

I fried my sound card once,

Son, you don't know WHAT the **** you did. "fried" your sound card, yeah, maybe if you splashed
water on it or started rubbing yer grubby lil fingers all over it as you shuffled your feet along
the carpet, otherwise, probably ****in not.

so I replaced it. Now when I put my case back on
(AT), the computer reboots.

And hey, if you're running WinXP, boy what a BRILLIANT move THAT was. BTW, that's sarcasm! ^_^

I have replaced the power supply,

You did what? Why did you do that?

put in new RAM,

You put in new memory cause it was rebooting?

sound card, various cables, and even tried another network card. It
seems when the computer is working hard (100% CPU usage) it boots.

How could the "CPU" (I'm wondering if you even know what part that is) be working any more or less
"hard" when it's booting up? o_O

Anyway, this problem is boggling my mind. Any help out there would greatly
be appreciated.

By the way, I have an AMD K6-III 450.

Knowing that does not help to figure out the situation AT ALL. You might as well just told us that
you ate ****in toast for breakfast.

Here's a random thought, have you uh, tried to format and then reinstall Windows? Hrmmm, no? Yeah,
you might wanna do that. 10 to 1 says yer problem is software related, Kitten. Probably cause yer
running WinXP and you started swapping out hardware. And boy, the more you do that, the more you'll
just **** everything up. (gotta love that ESCD).

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹
Old April 18th 04, 12:04 PM
kony

wrote:

Hello everyone,

I've been working hard to fix my computer, and I really need some help from
all you experts out there.

I fried my sound card once, so I replaced it.

Frying a sound card is a relatively unheard of problem except if non-amped
speakers where attached... what made you decide that it fried or what were
the symptoms?

Now when I put my case back on
(AT), the computer reboots.

Do you mean, the moment you get the cover on that it reboots, or rather
that if case stays open it runs ok but if the cover is on, after a while
it will reboot as if it's overheating? "AT" means AT that moment OR an
AT case opposed to an ATX case?

I have replaced the power supply,

With a known adequate, quality name-brand?

put in new
RAM, sound card, various cables, and even tried another network card. It
seems when the computer is working hard (100% CPU usage) it boots.

Have you verified that all fans are working?

Had the system been moved or (case/parts) accessed internally just prior
to onset of this problem?

Do you have a multimeter, could take voltage readings of the power supply
while system is running?

What Operating system?

Have you ran any testing software?

Anyway, this problem is boggling my mind. Any help out there would greatly
be appreciated. By the way, I have an AMD K6-III 450.

What motherboard make/model?
Old April 19th 04, 07:44 PM
Jim Kelley

Forgive me about being ignorant about computers.

I fried the sound card while the computer was running -- yeah, smoke and
sparks. So, I replace the sound card. I think my computer is toast, but the
interesting thing is, when I leave off the case it works pretty good, but
when I put the case back on, it is unstable (reboots intermittingly).

Just wondering if anyone out there had an explanation.

Old April 19th 04, 08:17 PM
half_pint

"Jim Kelley" wrote in message
Forgive me about being ignorant about computers.

I fried the sound card while the computer was running -- yeah, smoke and
sparks. So, I replace the sound card. I think my computer is toast, but

the
interesting thing is, when I leave off the case it works pretty good, but
when I put the case back on, it is unstable (reboots intermittingly).

Just wondering if anyone out there had an explanation.

One explanation could be that it will be hotter inside with the case on.
Also does putting the case on involve squaching cables etc?
How did you fry your sound card?

Old April 19th 04, 09:17 PM
Peter

Just wanted to let you know that your mommy asked me to tell you to get in
the house for your medicine.

Old April 20th 04, 06:21 PM
Tj

I like 2 fans. One in front blowing in and one in back blowing out. You can
buy fans for about $5. Easy to install.

Old April 20th 04, 06:41 PM
Onideus Mad Hatter

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:17:59 -0400, "Peter" wrote:

Just wanted to let you know that your mommy asked me to tell you to get in
the house for your medicine.

Oh look, alt.comp.hardware posters are trying to flame...how cute! ^_^

*pats Peter on the head*

Run along, Deary.