Guess I need some help please :(

Old February 23rd 04, 01:12 AM
pjp

Default Guess I need some help please :(

History of pc first.

Tyan S1854 mb using a PIII at 733mz, 384 megs ram at 133fs, running 98SE.

System started with just a Radeon 64 DDR VIVO (agp) in it. Initial ATI
software install off cd went smoothly with everything working as expected
afterwards. Once insuring this, placed a Xpert98 is system and installed
just it's driver (after discovering how terrible ATI's install is when more
than one ATI card in system). All worked well for long time.

Then along comes DEMAND to upgrade to DX9, damn games argh!!!

I basically lost ATI's Video-in working (3rd party apps could still use
it???). Tried to then update driver and MMC which just made it worse,
resulting in "nothing" being able to use the Video-in. All else seems well,
e.g. games all still run fine. I've deleted everything ATI etc. reverting
right back to plain old VGA, have removed the Xpert (second) video card and
cleaned out all ATI remnants and started over with still same result.

Ok, seemed like a good time to setup XP and do a dual-boot just to see how
it acts on this system.

XP's install went smoothly and it all came up as expected. I then very
carefully followed instructions, installed DX9.0b, WMEncoder, Cat 4.2 and
MMC 8.9 and still no video-in, ATI's Video-In software just silently
terminating. WDM driver must be working though as "other" software can
monitor the video-in, e.g. Messenger and the like. 3d accel seems fine etc.,
e.g. few tested games run fine.

Ideas appreciated.

Old February 24th 04, 05:34 AM
J. Clarke

DaveW wrote:

Your video card is NOT DX9 capable.

Leaving aside the question of whether that is or is not the case, what
bearing would it have on the problems described?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old February 24th 04, 07:16 AM
pjp

That's my thought also?

As it is and because I've delayed it too long and because of this problem I
finally got around to installing a dual-boot 98SE/XP system.

Under XP, I installed tha Cat 4.2 driver set. All appears well, the Rage
Theatre, WDM capture ... stuff all appears properly installed. However,
after installing MMC 8.9 it fails initializing the "video-in". Don't
understand why as 3rd party apps are having no probems with it (yippe can
finally use camcorder and video-in rather than cheap webcam in Messenger).
Is that a known problem? If so, any resolution? As all I want of MMC is the
video-in I deleted it.

As far as "Your video card is NOT DX9 capable." That implies that to run any
DX9 game requires one to have the latest and greatest video card. All I can
add is that I've updated the fresh XP Pro install to DX9.0b and nothing
seems out of the ordinary. In fact FS2004, Link 2004, Halo, NFS:U, Enclave,
Magic Battlegrounds, Jedi Academy, BF1942 and a few more all are running
just fine. In fact, one game V-Rally3 is now playable under XP although I
don't yet know if the OS/DX9 and/or the updated video card drivers The
game would stutter too badly under the old driver and 98SE.

I'll give it some time as a dual-boot but suspect it won't be long before
it's an fdisk and just boot using the XP cd. Dual-boot allows me to easily
recover while finding out what the real world switch will bring.

Besides the MMC problem (although I do have video-in working again) the only
other task is getting my lpt port scanner to work when there's only 2K
drivers available for it.

Old February 24th 04, 01:42 PM
J. Clarke

pjp wrote:

[...]

I forgot to ask, where do you live? If you're in an area that uses PAL and
not NTSC Microsoft has a patch that you need in order to use video in.

Old February 24th 04, 05:51 PM
pjp

Nope NTSC in NS, Canada.

I'm getting close now to seeing if I can re-insert my Xpert and get both
98SE and XP back up running dual-monitors.

Delima is that once the second card's in system, ATI's installs don't!

P.S. Scanners now working so that's all my hardware working under XP. Looks
like 98SE's days are numbered on this pc.

Old February 26th 04, 12:19 PM
Darthy

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 01:12:25 GMT, "pjp"
wrote:

History of pc first.

Tyan S1854 mb using a PIII at 733mz, 384 megs ram at 133fs, running 98SE.

System started with just a Radeon 64 DDR VIVO (agp) in it. Initial ATI
software install off cd went smoothly with everything working as expected
afterwards. Once insuring this, placed a Xpert98 is system and installed
just it's driver (after discovering how terrible ATI's install is when more
than one ATI card in system). All worked well for long time.

Then along comes DEMAND to upgrade to DX9, damn games argh!!!

While you have stated up play some games... you should see those games
run on a modern setup... DX9 quality graphics is beyond the hardware
ability of your CPU & video card.

The games look a lot better on a new card with horse power to deliver.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!