CL380 - CR3500 problems

Old April 14th 05, 07:33 PM
Mike G.

Default CL380 - CR3500 problems

I have a CL380 server, and am trying to configure it remotely.
Unfortunately this is my first experience with this type of server and I am
hitting a roadblock, hope someone can point me in the right direction.

So far it has been installed with MS Server 2003, and has had the Proliant
Service pack drivers installed. The problem is that I am having trouble
detecting the CR3500 array with the configuration utility. When I run it,
the message is Cannot communicate with subsystem on node.

We shipped the box out for repair and they replaced the scsi interconnect
and isolator board, and a fan. The box is back and I am getting the same
message.

Had a guy onsite trace cabling, and reseat the controllers and scsi drives
but nothing helps. Tried using one controller at a time to isolate a bad
one but still no go. The storage array has power lights, no fault lights,
and the activity lights flicker a bit on startup but still cannot detect
the controllers. He put in a smartstart cd and tried rebooting, but after
hitting f10, it said system partition utilities not available, no scsi
devices detected.

The last piece of evidence is that according to the Compaq Software Users
Guide the CR3500 conntrollers show up under Other Devices in windows
hardware manager. Nothing is showing up on my system.

I guess the questions I have a

Assuming the hardware is good, is there any reason windows is not seeing
the CR3500 devices?

Do we need to reinstall using smartstart? From what I have read, all the
drivers should have been loaded with the Proliant service pack but that
does not seem to be enough.

If so, how do I do it? Unless I interrupt the boot sequence it goes right
to windows. Is there a hotkey to get into the bios, or a way to force it to
boot off the cd?

Sorry for the ramble, and probably obvious questions.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Old April 15th 05, 12:18 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

I have not worked specifically with a CR3500, but on other hardware that can
be used for clusters, there is something called Selective Storage
Presentation. It basically says what adapters can access logical volumes on
the storage unit. If the server can properly communicate with the controller
in teh CR, then you should be able to create logical volumes and then
present them to any attached controlers/hba's.

- LC

Old April 15th 05, 05:26 AM
Mike G.

The utility that does that selective storage configuration is the one
giving me the error.

After posting my question I went in to the second node just for laughs and
everything worked from there. It detected the controllers, and all the RAID
drives. I managed to get the rebuild the RAID and get logical drives
defined. They were formatting when I quit for the day.

At least now I know the controllers and drives are good, and the cabling
back to one of the nodes. Now I need to get one of the tech's to check the
connections back to node 1 one more time.

Thanks for the response.

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in
:

Old April 15th 05, 06:21 PM
Nut Cracker

you should be able to control the SSP from the node that works. You just
have to allow the controller on the other node to be able to access the
array volumes (its presented on a per-volume basis, not a complete
controller level), and you should be good. Your cluster should then be
operational.

- LC

"Mike G." wrote in message
[...]

Have you had problems with iiyama VM Pro 454 or 451 monitors? Irish Rover Homebuilt PC's 8 January 7th 05 11:29 PM
Sapphire Radeon 9800SE + Shuttle machine = Problems Jiri Kuukasjärvi General 2 September 12th 04 11:17 AM
Omega Drivers Striker Ati Videocards 14 June 10th 04 02:40 PM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company General 20 November 13th 03 09:41 PM
FX problems. Drivers or hardware? NickNick Nvidia Videocards 6 September 15th 03 12:01 AM