So AGP is obsolete?

Old March 15th 05, 05:29 AM
person

Default So AGP is obsolete?

Sounds like those old VLB, Vesa bus things that looked like a ISA with a PCI at the end of it... They went bye bye without much ado... So did the ISA slot. And that made a lot of scanner owners unhappy. (SCSI card) usually on those expensive models too... Buy cheap is the moto.

Old March 15th 05, 06:38 AM
Derek Baker

"person" wrote in message
Sounds like those old VLB, Vesa bus things that looked like a ISA with a
PCI at the end of it... They went bye bye without much ado... So did the
ISA slot. And that made a lot of scanner owners unhappy. (SCSI card)
usually on those expensive models too... Buy cheap is the moto.

I think you'll find the ISA slot had a lot of years in it after the launch
of PCI.

--
Derek

Old March 15th 05, 03:12 PM
NightSky 421

"Derek Baker" wrote in message

I think you'll find the ISA slot had a lot of years in it after the launch
of PCI.

I was running an ISA video card until late January 1996, at which point I
went out and bought a Trio64 PCI card. The difference in my games was, of
course, dramatically improved. However, I did stick with ISA for a long
time for other devices. I didn't get rid of my ISA sound card until the
summer of 2000, and even my last motherboard to have ISA slots was bought in
January of 2000. Of all the standard modems I owned in my life, that old
ISA Zoltrix 56K modem is still the best.

Old March 15th 05, 03:55 PM
Gonzo

"NightSky 421" wrote in message
"Derek Baker" wrote in message

I think you'll find the ISA slot had a lot of years in it after the
launch of PCI.

I was running an ISA video card until late January 1996, at which point I
went out and bought a Trio64 PCI card. The difference in my games was, of
course, dramatically improved. However, I did stick with ISA for a long
time for other devices. I didn't get rid of my ISA sound card until the
summer of 2000, and even my last motherboard to have ISA slots was bought
in January of 2000. Of all the standard modems I owned in my life, that
old ISA Zoltrix 56K modem is still the best.

I still have my $100 hardware based Supra v90 ISA modem but it is in the
machine I am selling this week. Too bad all my new machines do not have ISA
slots otherwise I would hold on to that puppy for the day that I retire and
can no longer afford broadband LOL.

I personally do not understand all the technical stuff about the shift to
PCIE but I have learned that you can't stop the steam roller. Like most of
you here I went from 8bit Mono to ISA to VLB to PCI to AGP and now to PCIE.

It's inevitable and all the arguments in the world wont stop it. Only thing
you can do is hold on to your AGP for as long as you can. I needed a new
machine so I opted for a 64bit CPU and PCIe because I can read the writing
on the wall.

All technical stuff aside, it's what the industry decides. I enjoy and
prefer the convenience of being mainstream and having many choices hence my
upgrade choice.

Old March 16th 05, 03:01 AM
person

True, ISA and PCI co-existed a while, hmm, I guess AGP,PCI-express, PCI-X 64bit and PCI would be too much...oh, what ever happened to those modem card riser slots? smaller than the pci-express slots.