my ancient p2b board -wondering why it's semi-dead

Old April 12th 04, 01:37 PM

Default my ancient p2b board -wondering why it's semi-dead

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:31:28 GMT, "Homer" wrote:

Hard drive reformatted over and over... to fat32

First did you reinstall windows 98 over a previous install or did you format
the drive and install windows. If you reinstall windows over a non working
version most of the time it will not work. You have to start with a clean
drive. As to the problem with xp not shutting off the computer that is an
easy fix. Go into the control panel, power options, select APM tab and tick
the box enable advance power management and the system will power off.

Good

Old April 12th 04, 02:12 PM

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:44:03 -0600, "m.marien" mm AT RiverCityCanada
DOT com wrote:

Try clearing the CMOS memory with the jumper. I've fixed a few boards that
way.

Done that. Still the same hang at 13 minutes setting up hardware and
plug and play devices. Running with just a video card floppy and HD.
The mobo is definitely screwed, but I knew that. Was hoping to hear
some interesting suggestions of what the problem was.

eric

Old April 12th 04, 02:16 PM
Roger Hamlett

DOT com wrote:

Try clearing the CMOS memory with the jumper. I've fixed a few boards

that
way.

Done that. Still the same hang at 13 minutes setting up hardware and
plug and play devices. Running with just a video card floppy and HD.
The mobo is definitely screwed, but I knew that. Was hoping to hear
some interesting suggestions of what the problem was.

What have you got on the IDE connectors?.
There was a problem some time ago, with the P2B, and (I think), a particular
BIOS version, that it would hang during IDE detection in the OS, with some
combinations of devices on the IDE connectors.

Best Wishes

Old April 12th 04, 03:15 PM

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:16:51 +0100, "Roger Hamlett"

hey roger,

This is something that happened a couple of years ago one bright
morning on boot-up when the desktop just froze. Mouse moved but had no
effct on anything. At the time I reformatted and re-installed to no
avail.

The mobo has been on the shelf since then. Every now and then I take
it down and try different configs to breath life into it. Or use the
bios chip to hot flash some other board.

But alas, I think it has a genuine hardware defect with no solution in
sight

eric

Old April 12th 04, 03:20 PM

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:16:51 +0100, "Roger Hamlett"
wrote:

Another funny thing is that I was able to install win95 on the board.
Must be something to do with lack of hardware checking during the
install process. Left a lot of yellow question marks in device driver,
but this may have been due to lack of chipset recognition.

eric

Old April 12th 04, 03:30 PM
Roger Hamlett

wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:16:51 +0100, "Roger Hamlett"

hey roger,

This is something that happened a couple of years ago one bright
morning on boot-up when the desktop just froze. Mouse moved but had no
effct on anything. At the time I reformatted and re-installed to no
avail.

The mobo has been on the shelf since then. Every now and then I take
it down and try different configs to breath life into it. Or use the
bios chip to hot flash some other board.

But alas, I think it has a genuine hardware defect with no solution in
sight

eric

The obvious solution, it just to use an IDE card, instead of the motherboard
port(s). It sounds as though you have a problem when the IDE controller
switches to using DMA, rather than PIO.

Old April 12th 04, 05:49 PM

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:30:56 +0100, "Roger Hamlett"
wrote:

The obvious solution, it just to use an IDE card, instead of the motherboard
port(s). It sounds as though you have a problem when the IDE controller
switches to using DMA, rather than PIO.

I'm on it right now...

eric
Old April 12th 04, 06:02 PM

wrote:

wrote in message
eric

The obvious solution, it just to use an IDE card, instead of the motherboard
port(s). It sounds as though you have a problem when the IDE controller
switches to using DMA, rather than PIO.

Used a sigg controller card for the hard drive. If I plugged in the
cd-rom as well to the controller card, then win98 bootdisk can't find
the hd. So I put the cd-rom on IDE1.

Anyway the long and the short of it is that the same thing happened on
the win98 install. A freeze at 14 minutes before time while setting up
hardware and plug and play devices.

thanks,. eric .
Old April 12th 04, 09:22 PM
Ronald Cole

DOT com wrote:

Try clearing the CMOS memory with the jumper. I've fixed a few boards that
way.

Done that. Still the same hang at 13 minutes setting up hardware and
plug and play devices. Running with just a video card floppy and HD.
The mobo is definitely screwed, but I knew that. Was hoping to hear
some interesting suggestions of what the problem was.

Just for the heck of it, try reflashing the BIOS. I had what I swore
were hardware problems with detecting my onboard SCSI controller and
tore my hair out for weeks until I reflashed my BIOS as a last resort
and everything cleared right up! Perhaps the P2B series got a flaky
batch of EEPROMs.

Ronald Cole Phone: (760) 499-9142
President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152