HP Deskjet 560C manual anyone?

Old March 21st 08, 06:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mark

Default HP Deskjet 560C manual anyone?

Hi,

I've been given an old HP 560C printer but it has no manual. When I
switch it on the lights flashing in an alternating sequence. Does
anyone have a manual for one they could copy for me please?

I've tried HP.COM but there is nothing useful there.

TIA, Mark.

Old March 21st 08, 08:56 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
marjaz77

Try... www.fixyourownprinter.com If not successful on this web page
maybe in the forums......................Rudy

Old March 21st 08, 09:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Mark wrote:
Hi,

I've been given an old HP 560C printer but it has no manual.

That printer is a relic. You do not need a manual. You need a trash
can. It is garbage. I had one and threw is in the trash because when I
tried to give it away the recipients wanted me to pay them. It goes
along with DOS version 1. Maybge better with CPM.

Old March 22nd 08, 08:59 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
rjn

Mark wrote:

I've been given an old HP 560C printer but it has no manual. When I
switch it on the lights flashing in an alternating sequence. Does
anyone have a manual for one they could copy for me please?

You need to provide some means of contact,
if you expect anyone with a manual to assist.

By the way, there was also a Series 500 Tech Ref:
C2121-90101
but it doesn't cover the status LEDs.

I've tried HP.COM but there is nothing useful there.

Surprisingly, a lot of the DJ560-vintage FAQ files are still
available. They don't seem to cover the status LEDs, however.

You can probably buy a used working 560C, with
manual, on eBay. Ask the seller before bidding if
they'll ship just the manual.

Almost any entry-level color printer today can
outperform a 560C.

--
Regards, Bob Niland
Old March 23rd 08, 11:22 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

The HP website claims that the manuals for their printers are
downloadable, but I cannot for the life of me find them. Maybe they
stopped proving them, or I just can't find them. Maybe Bob Headrick,
who is on this newsgroup, will know where they can be found.

Here is what I did find:

HP Deskjet 500 series printers
HP Deskjet 500, 500c, 520, 550c, and 560c series printers
Running a self-test
Press FONT and RESET, or LOAD EJECT while turning on the printer.
Running a clean test

1.
Turn the printer on.
2.
Press the CLEAN button.

Running an alignment test

1.
Turn the printer on.
2.
Press the ALIGNMENT TEST button.

If that doesn't work I found a troubleshooting page (which is supposed
to be for Win 95, 98, and ME) which still may have some useful
information. I would begin with the section that starts:

4.If the self-test page still does not print and the lights on the HP
Deskjet printer are flashing, refer to the printer’s manual or to the
printer’s Toolbox (on the main desktop screen of Windows) to diagnose
and correct the error indicated by the flashing light pattern. If the
error cannot be resolved, contact the HP Customer Care Center listed in
the printer’s manual.

and then read forward from there.

the URL for this is:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...rodu ct=60346

Lastly, the HP website has a link on most pages for "Contact HP Care" if
you can;t find what you need. You may want to ask them where the darn
manuals are on the website, since they keep on referring to them in the
troubleshooting sections. (If you find out, would you let me know?)

Art

Old March 24th 08, 12:54 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
rjn

On Mar 23, 6:22 pm, Arthur Entlich wrote:

The HP website claims that the manuals for their printers are
downloadable, but I cannot for the life of me find them.

I seriously doubt that the DJ 560C vintage manuals were
ever downloadable. The 500 Tech Ref I have appears to be
180 dpi, probably authored using an internal HP tool, and
rendered to camera-ready using an hp 2680A
continuous-feed laser printer.

Although some of the tools used in those days emitted
PCL3 and/or PS1, it was not often retained, as there was
no anticipated further use for it.

I owned a 560C at one time, and as was my custom with
tech hardware, I routinely bought and downloaded all
available documents. I still have the directory for the 560C,
and it has only the same FAQs still found on-line.

If a PDF does exist, it is likely a scan.

PDF itself only predates the 500 Tech Ref by 9 months.

--
Regards, Bob Niland
Old March 24th 08, 04:39 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi,

I've been given an old HP 560C printer but it has no manual. When I
switch it on the lights flashing in an alternating sequence. Does
anyone have a manual for one they could copy for me please?

I've tried HP.COM but there is nothing useful there.

There is plenty useful on www.hp.com, but it can be difficult to find at
times. The following may apply to the issue you are having:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...&product=60346

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old March 24th 08, 08:01 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

This seems to be some really useful information for the OP. I spent a
good 30 minutes on the HP website trying to help this guy, and tried
everything from FAQs, manuals, troubleshooting, and software driver
upgrades for Deskjet 560c. In each area, I keyworded everything from
LED to LED flashing, to error codes, to LED error codes, and several
other terms and got nowhere...

As I mentioned in my posting, several places referred to downloading the
manual or looking at the manual but that wasn't accessible by any method
I could find.

I know the HP website is huge and extensive, but to make it usable, it
needs to also have some better organization behind it.

Art

Old March 24th 08, 11:20 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
rjn

Arthur Entlich wrote:

In each area, I keyworded everything from LED to LED
flashing, to error codes, to LED error codes, and several
other terms and got nowhere...

I just tried google, restricted to hp.com, with
"560c error light", and found
bpd01364
Might be germane.

I know the HP website is huge and extensive, but to make it usable, it
needs to also have some better organization behind it.

Be careful about what you wish for. The DJ500s are
way beyond support life. I'm surprised the FAQs have
survived several hp web reorgs since they were created.

--
Regards, Bob Niland
Old March 25th 08, 04:22 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Although Epson is a much smaller company with many less products which
may simplify it for them, they have extensive support and drivers for
all their printers going back 12-14 years. For a while they even
offered the pdf files for their service manuals for all their printer,
but that is now passworded.

Art