Gigabyte or Abit or Asus

Old March 21st 05, 07:05 PM
ColBlip

Hello, BananaOfTheNight!
You wrote on Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:19:50 +0000:

Thanks. I'll check these out.

ColBlip.
E-mail:

B Try these links:

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...lld19JRD0xMDA5
B http://www20.tomshardware.com/mother...103/index.html
B http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358

Old March 21st 05, 07:08 PM
ColBlip

Hello, Roy!
You wrote on Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:38:24 GMT:

Thanks. I'll take a look at the site. Definitely have no intention of
replacing my AGP at this time which is why I was considering the A8V Deluxe.

ColBlip.
E-mail:

R Getting back to the question at hand, it is necessary that you decide
R what your upgrades are going to be. If you are looking at the Nvidia
R Chipset with a 939 pin CPU them the highest rated motherboards on the
R market are the MSI and DFI brands. If you intend on staying with the Via
R Chipset then both the Asus and Abit motherboards are rated very high,
R and will still be able to use AGP video cards.

R Be careful, because in the 939 pin selection of motherboards there are
R the new SLI boards which will require an upgrade to the new PCI-Express
R Video Cards which are not cheap.

R I currently have the Asus A8V Deluxe Revision 2.0 with an AMD 64 3500+
R Winchester CPU and I am very pleased with it. Installation was easy and
R I currently have it overclocked to 2419 mhz (10% Overclock) with auto
R settings. It is rock stable and I didn't have to upgrade my ATI Graphics
R Card to PCI-E as previously stated.

R Read the latest reviews on this matter at the following address:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128
R It will help you decide which route to take.
R Good luck and happy shopping!

R "Colonel Blip" wrote in message
R ...
?? Hello, All!
??
?? I'm interested in getting a 939 socket m/b and an Athlon64 3000+. I've
?? always been an Asus m/b person, but thought I would at least test the
?? waters
?? on views of the Asus vs. other m/b's. Any views on 'best' of these
?? three manufactures for socket 939?
??
?? Thanks.
??
?? Colonel Blip.
?? E-mail:
??
?? News==----
??
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+
?? Newsgroups
?? ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
?? =----

Old March 21st 05, 10:29 PM
Tim

Try a repair install and if that does not work, do a fresh install. Backup
your data first.

What you describe sounds like a software problem, not a motherboard problem.

I would also do a full virus and spyware scan.

- Tim

"Scott" wrote in message

"FG" wrote in message
Are you sure you have used the correct BIOS settings ?

Could it be a software problem ? Have you tried repairing
Windows, if that is the system you use ?

This only happened when I upgraded my motherboard and processor. At first
I had WinXP64 on it and thought that might be the problem. So I took that
off and installed my own Win XP Home (after a reformat) and the problem
persisted.
I have uninstalled all the drivers and reinstalled again to be met by the
same problem. Could it be a power supply problem?

I have the BIOS settings changed and changed back, even using the BIOS's
Optimized settings.

Scott

Old March 21st 05, 11:15 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:56:24 -0600, Colonel Blip wrote:

I'm interested in getting a 939 socket m/b and an Athlon64 3000+. I've
always been an Asus m/b person, but thought I would at least test the waters
on views of the Asus vs. other m/b's. Any views on 'best' of these three
manufactures for socket 939?

Who makes the board doesn't really matter much. What matters is the
chipset and features the board supports. That's why I bought a Jetway
board for the A64 over a year ago and I'm still happy with it today.

Old March 22nd 05, 02:34 AM
Ruel Smith

Colonel Blip wrote:

I'm interested in getting a 939 socket m/b and an Athlon64 3000+. I've
always been an Asus m/b person, but thought I would at least test the
waters on views of the Asus vs. other m/b's. Any views on 'best' of these
three manufactures for socket 939?

For features: Abit FATA1TY boards

For overclocking: Abit

For stability: Asus

Gigabyte's not too shabby. Some people complain about their customer
service, but all mainboard manufacturers' customer service sucks. You're
literally one in BILLIONS to them, and they could care less if you don't
buy your next board from somewhere else.

--

Registered Linux user #378193

Old March 22nd 05, 03:30 AM
Ed Light

"Wes Newell" wrote in

Who makes the board doesn't really matter much. What matters is the
chipset and features the board supports. That's why I bought a Jetway
board for the A64 over a year ago and I'm still happy with it today.

If you're overclocking then it matters. Some boards barely overclock, some
go whole hog, with the same chipset.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old March 22nd 05, 05:21 AM
Luc The Perverse

"Scott" wrote in message

"3200+" wrote in message

"Colonel Blip" wrote in

message
Hello, All!

I'm interested in getting a 939 socket m/b and an Athlon64

3000+. I've
always been an Asus m/b person, but thought I would at least

test the
waters
on views of the Asus vs. other m/b's. Any views on 'best' of

these three
manufactures for socket 939?

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail:

Usenet
News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! 120,000+
Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via

Encryption
=----

I would never ever use anything by Gigabyte again. IMHO their

products
are
of inferior design and their technical support is so poor that

it is hard
believe they get away with it.

Jon

If I had of known that before buying a gigabyte motherboard.....
This is a copy of the email I sent them today. By the sounds of

it I may get
better support here.

"When the system has booted up and has been running smoothly for

5mins to an
hour, the system suddenly freezes. During this time I can press

Ctrl-Alt-Del
to bring up the task manager but nothing is using 100% of the

processor.
Most programs are using 0-10% but nothing more. I can shut down

programs
from the task manager, but I cannot use them. To say this, if I

am writing
to cd or dvd, it will continue to do so - But I cannot click on

any menus or
'ok' or 'cancel' buttons if any happen to be on screen. This

problem can
last from 30 seconds to 5mins and then I have control over my

programs again
like nothing had ever happened. My virus scanner is completely up

to date
(Norton antivirus) and both firewalls (Norton and Windows SP2)

are up to
date and running as they should.
Another problem I have is that sometimes I cannot move files to

another
folder using drag and drop yet if I cut and paste this works

without a
hitch.
Can you think of any reason why this would happen.
My motherboard drivers and Bios are bang up to date."

Hehe. Funny.

Next thing we can sue leash makers when our dogs attack people.

--
LTP

When the llama speaks you listen. Unfortunately the llama hasn't
spoken yet.

Old March 22nd 05, 08:42 AM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:30:44 -0800, Ed Light wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in

Who makes the board doesn't really matter much. What matters is the
chipset and features the board supports. That's why I bought a Jetway
board for the A64 over a year ago and I'm still happy with it today.

If you're overclocking then it matters. Some boards barely overclock, some
go whole hog, with the same chipset.

I consider that as part of the features.

Old March 22nd 05, 10:29 AM
Scott

"Tim" wrote in message ...
Try a repair install and if that does not work, do a fresh install. Backup
your data first.

What you describe sounds like a software problem, not a motherboard
problem.

I would also do a full virus and spyware scan.

- Tim

I'll do just that. Will report back.

Scott

Old March 22nd 05, 11:08 AM
Ben Pope

Colonel Blip wrote:
Hello, All!

I'm interested in getting a 939 socket m/b and an Athlon64 3000+. I've
always been an Asus m/b person, but thought I would at least test the waters
on views of the Asus vs. other m/b's. Any views on 'best' of these three
manufactures for socket 939?

A roundup he
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358

Of SLI boards shall give an intersting insight into s939 boards by those
manufacturers (as well as MSI).

I think most of them use the same board for SLI / non-SLI, so it should
be relevant in that case too.

Ben