Rip-off artists

Old April 9th 05, 07:53 AM

aether wrote:
It's bound to happen, anyway. Massive importation via Asia countries
will bring down the prices, eventually. PC prices, the price of
components, memory, etc.. are not falling. They are at a standstill, or
increasing. A top-flight video card will cost you nearly $1,000. If
that's not a form of larceny, what is? For a video card that will be
obsolete in less than three, perhaps two, years.

Your use of the word 'obsolete' is failing your point in this case. That
$1000 card, if it doesn't fail, will be perfectly usable for a decade
at least. Certainly not useless in five. Obsolete?

I grant that newer cards will be out to replace it but the case can be
made for the Millennium card in one of my systems right now. It works
just fine. And it's _old_.

The reason for this, mostly, is shareholders and the stock market. They
must increase their profit every quarter to please them. This results
in overpricing. (e.g. theft)

Of course I would like cheaper prices but there is a chance to kill the
Golden Goose here. Costs of R&D and Manufacturing must be recovered, as
do all those Swiss Bank accounts and sending their kids to college.

Nobody is forcing you to spend $1k on a damn video card.

TBerk
Old April 9th 05, 08:02 AM

aether wrote:
snip
A quality 512MB DRAM module, three years ago, cost around $120. Keep in
mind, that was essentially all that was necessary for a PC. Today,
since 1GB is essential, you must be prepared to pay at least double
that to have the same qualitative memory. Even more, if you prefer a
single DIMM.

I call BULL****.

After all, we _know_ you must have more than One Gig of RAM. wink

TBerk
Old April 9th 05, 08:15 AM
David Maynard

T wrote:

aether wrote:
snip

A quality 512MB DRAM module, three years ago, cost around $120. Keep in
mind, that was essentially all that was necessary for a PC. Today,
since 1GB is essential, you must be prepared to pay at least double
that to have the same qualitative memory. Even more, if you prefer a
single DIMM.

I call BULL****.

After all, we _know_ you must have more than One Gig of RAM. wink

TBerk

My favorite part of that B.S. was the "same qualitative memory" argument,
closely followed by how much "was essentially all that was necessary for a PC."

Old April 9th 05, 08:17 AM

aether wrote:
I'll cite examples of what I speak of:

I agree with the view that yours is a short term experience.

Stick around awhile and see the fluctuations.

TBerk