Whats the cheapest ATI X800 Pro Or XT i can get in Australia ?

Old August 1st 04, 11:03 AM
OCZ Guy

Default Whats the cheapest ATI X800 Pro Or XT i can get in Australia ?

Whats the cheapest ATI X800 Pro Or XT i can get in Australia ?

Was going to go for the 9800 Pro, but though i might get somthing alot
better so i can turn UP ALLL the eye Candy in the new games, HalfLife
2, Doom 3

Thanks.

IVe got a Barton Mobile 2500 runing at 2.5ghz, would i be wasteing a
X800Pro or XT on this CPU or do i need a 64bit cpu to realyuse the
cards ?

Just like to know as the Video Cards are alittle expensive.

Thanks.

HELLO NURSE.
Old August 1st 04, 11:39 AM
OCZ Guy

Ive got one of those Zalman Heatpipe coolers on my 9600 Pro, ill just
switch that over and add the optinal fan

I can get the X800 Pro for like 680 Aussie Dollars, i still see 9800
pros for that price as well as XT's ???? don't know whats going on
their.

I would like to ride the bleeding edge for a while too just want doom
3 and halflife 2 to be as good visualy as they can be and any game
in a few years as well

Thanks.

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 11:24 +0100 (BST),
(Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

In article ,
(OCZ Guy) wrote:

IVe got a Barton Mobile 2500 runing at 2.5ghz, would i be wasteing a
X800Pro or XT on this CPU

I run a Barton 2500 at about 2.3GHz and was recently lucky enough to move
from 9700Pro to x800. The 9700Pro was (still is!) a great card. But the
x800Pro shines very well on this PC. It doesn't add any features, but
it's pretty much twice as fast across all benchmarks. I can run fps games
at stupidly high fps with fsaa now, and in flight sims -- where fsaa
matters most -- it's just stunning to have the combination of high res and
fsaa. I certainly don't regret the purchase and feel fortunate that this
year I'm in a position to surf the bleeding edge of technology a little.
The view's quite nice from here.

Just wish I could afford to surf the bleeding edge of housing or car
technology as well :-)

Anyway, if I was on a budget today I would go straight out and buy a
9800Pro. Superb value for money, especially if you fit a really good
cooler (preferably something like the Arctic VGA Silencer which vents the
considerable heat out of the case) and push the clocks. The XT is
overpriced IMO. If you think about spending that much you might as well go
for the x800Pro.

Andrew McP

HELLO NURSE.
Old August 1st 04, 11:54 AM
redted

I would like to ride the bleeding edge for a while too just want doom
3 and halflife 2 to be as good visualy as they can be and any game
in a few years as well

A few years ? lol
Whatever you get will be obsolete in weeks, not years m8.

Old August 1st 04, 12:56 PM
redted

Whatever you get will be obsolete in weeks, not years m8.

Not strictly true. I mean, the 9700Pro's how old? 18 months? Two years? I
forget now :-) I bought mine second hand, and to be honest if I'd seen the
hardware test for D3 before buying I might not have bothered with the
x800. I'm glad I did though, because the power's superb. But that 9700Pro
still has plenty of legs, and will run D3 & HL2 pretty damned well. Which
is an amazing feat when you consider how old it is.

I expect the x800 to have similar legs... though obviously there's always
the temptation to be lured in by the latest review or marketing spiel :-)

Technology wise, it is true. Weeks may have been a tad ott, but a couple of
months is your "cutting edge" lifetime.

Old August 1st 04, 12:59 PM
OCZ Guy

Iam going to see how my 9600 Pro handles Doom 3, its overclocked HE
HE, not that will make much difference, i mean i can't play Farcry
Maxium detail, dont htink anyone can ?