eVGA 7900GT Advice

Old April 24th 06, 07:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default eVGA 7900GT Advice

I have decided to buy the eVGA 7900GT card after advice on this group
told me that my Shuttle SD31P PC should be able to handle it, even
though it has a 350w power output, and eVGA recommends a minimum of
400w for this card.

I noticed that there are 3 different variations of this model, each one
with a slightly better clock speed:

eVGA PCI-E 7900GT
eVGA PCI-E 7900GT CO
eVGA PCI-E 7900GT CO Superclocked

Would I be best going for the latter model, or will heat be an issue
with this faster card?

Old April 24th 06, 09:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have decided to buy the eVGA 7900GT card after advice on this group
told me that my Shuttle SD31P PC should be able to handle it, even
though it has a 350w power output, and eVGA recommends a minimum of
400w for this card.

I noticed that there are 3 different variations of this model, each one
with a slightly better clock speed:

eVGA PCI-E 7900GT
eVGA PCI-E 7900GT CO
eVGA PCI-E 7900GT CO Superclocked

Would I be best going for the latter model, or will heat be an issue
with this faster card?

Heat not really much issue. It's more about cost for performance. Been
running one in my new SN21G5 Shuttle PC for about three weeks now without
issue, even after a couple uber gaming sessions of BF2.

Old April 24th 06, 09:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

May want to read this review. Yes the review is about the GTX, not the GT,
but it looks like eVGA may be pushing their clock too high with the
"Superclocked" series.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1950826,00.asp
--
Scotter
Tyan Thunder K8WE
oups.com...

Old April 25th 06, 11:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

In article .com,
says...
I have decided to buy the eVGA 7900GT card after advice on this group
told me that my Shuttle SD31P PC should be able to handle it, even
though it has a 350w power output, and eVGA recommends a minimum of
400w for this card.

OF COURSE IT CAN ****ING HANDLE IT. HAVE YOU NOT GRASPED THIS YET? They
use the 350W on SLI Shuttle rigs.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old April 25th 06, 01:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

OK but what is the difference between the cards? Why would anyone buy
the lesser spec version when there is practically no difference in
price?

Old April 26th 06, 04:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote in message
oups.com...
There is not much of a price difference between the 3 models on ebay -
I can pick up the superclocked version for $335 USD. But is the heat
significantly different between these 3 models? Should this be of
concern using the graphics card in a small Shuttle PC?

No.

Old April 26th 06, 04:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote in message
ups.com...
OK but what is the difference between the cards? Why would anyone buy
the lesser spec version when there is practically no difference in
price?

Clock speed is different, that is it. Yes there is increased heat, but no
issues so far in my Shuttle SN21G5. I have the 7900 GT CO Superclock. You
can buy the regular CO if you're concerned about heat. Retail prices are
different. If someone is able to get cheaper and sell cheaper, then that is
a good thing.