NVMe M.2 SSD Win7, anyone with experience?

Old June 5th 16, 11:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
B00ze

Default NVMe M.2 SSD Win7, anyone with experience?

Good day.

Anyone got experience with booting Win7 on an NVMe drive? There are
hotfixes for it for Win7, anyone used them? I'm also wondering if tools
like MiniTool Partition Wizard (bootable DVD) or TeraByte's BootIt will
work with such a drive...

Thanks.
Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society

Old June 18th 16, 04:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
B00ze

On 2016-06-05 18:36, B00ze wrote:

Good day.

Anyone got experience with booting Win7 on an NVMe drive? There are
hotfixes for it for Win7, anyone used them? I'm also wondering if tools
like MiniTool Partition Wizard (bootable DVD) or TeraByte's BootIt will
work with such a drive...

Thanks.
Best Regards,

Really, no one at all? In a few years NVMe is all there will be; you'd
think /someone/ would be using this at the moment (with Windows 7
preferably). Alright, looks like I'll have to wait - I'm not jumping
into this without some sort of community support, lol.

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo I! Am! Kirk! Of! Borg! - You! Will! Be! Over! Acted!

Old June 18th 16, 04:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Paul

On 2016-06-05 18:36, B00ze wrote:

Good day.

Anyone got experience with booting Win7 on an NVMe drive? There are
hotfixes for it for Win7, anyone used them? I'm also wondering if tools
like MiniTool Partition Wizard (bootable DVD) or TeraByte's BootIt will
work with such a drive...

Thanks.
Best Regards,

Really, no one at all? In a few years NVMe is all there will be; you'd
think /someone/ would be using this at the moment (with Windows 7
preferably). Alright, looks like I'll have to wait - I'm not jumping
into this without some sort of community support, lol.

Best Regards,

If you want to buy me one, I'm OK with that :-)

Paul
Old June 19th 16, 01:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On 2016-06-05 18:36, B00ze wrote:

Good day.

Anyone got experience with booting Win7 on an NVMe drive? There are
hotfixes for it for Win7, anyone used them? I'm also wondering if tools
like MiniTool Partition Wizard (bootable DVD) or TeraByte's BootIt will
work with such a drive...

Thanks.
Best Regards,

Really, no one at all? In a few years NVMe is all there will be; you'd
think /someone/ would be using this at the moment (with Windows 7
preferably). Alright, looks like I'll have to wait - I'm not jumping
into this without some sort of community support, lol.

Best Regards,

I may be wrong here but booting win 7 on a NVMe drive should not be a
problem. The problem is if your motherboard can "see" the NVMe drive
and set it as the boot device. All Win 7 needs is a NVMe driver. I use
the samsung driver, but I'm running windows 10. Windows started
supplying it's own NVMe driver with windows 8 so I'm told. Check your
bios or check for bios update. As for the tools you mention I've never
used them, but they should work a drive is a drive once mounted.

Goog Luck
Old June 19th 16, 03:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Robert Brereton[_3_]

Hi Take a look at this site. It may answer your questions. Unfortunately I
am not up to date with these drives.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

Hope this helps

Old June 19th 16, 03:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Paul

Robert Brereton wrote:
Hi Take a look at this site. It may answer your questions.
Unfortunately I am not up to date with these drives.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

Hope this helps

And an example of some BIOS info, here.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1571271/t...-intel-chipset

Now, why doesn't the NVMe have a config EEPROM
on the device, to provide the code in question ?

Paul
Old June 26th 16, 12:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
B00ze

On 2016-06-05 18:36, B00ze wrote:

Good day.

Anyone got experience with booting Win7 on an NVMe drive? There are
hotfixes for it for Win7, anyone used them? I'm also wondering if tools
like MiniTool Partition Wizard (bootable DVD) or TeraByte's BootIt will
work with such a drive...

Thanks.
Best Regards,

Really, no one at all? In a few years NVMe is all there will be; you'd
think /someone/ would be using this at the moment (with Windows 7
preferably). Alright, looks like I'll have to wait - I'm not jumping
into this without some sort of community support, lol.

Best Regards,

If you want to buy me one, I'm OK with that :-)

Paul

Lol :-) They are not so much more expensive than regular SATA SSDs, but
they are 3 to 5 times faster. Newer BIOSes all have support for them.
But then will anything besides Windows work with those? For instance, I
need to partition this before installing Windows, otherwise I'll end-up
with that annoying 500MB boot partition that Windows likes to create to
support BitLocker (which I dont need). Anything based on WinPE Win 8
will not work. My Win7-based DART disk will surely not work, unless I
pipe the HotFix into it (on ToDo list). Also not sure if Linux-based
tools have all been updated (e.g. gPartedEd, PartEdMagic, Minitool
Partition Wizard). And then I like to use BootIt to multi-boot, not sure
if that will work at all. I could always go around the net asking this
question on the forums of every tool I have, but that's kind of a pain...

Thank you.
Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo C Error #009: FATAL! Portable code found!

Old June 26th 16, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
B00ze

On 2016-06-19 10:48, Paul wrote:

Now, why doesn't the NVMe have a config EEPROM
on the device, to provide the code in question ?

Do we now have what the Amiga called "Auto-Config" (20 years ago) on
PCs? i.e. An eprom that loads into the BIOS address-space and configures
the device for you? PCs have been needing that for ever; I don't think
Plug'n'Play is exactly that...

Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo I am Ed McMahon of Borg: You may already be assimilated.

Old June 26th 16, 01:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Paul

On 2016-06-19 10:48, Paul wrote:

Now, why doesn't the NVMe have a config EEPROM
on the device, to provide the code in question ?

Do we now have what the Amiga called "Auto-Config" (20 years ago) on
PCs? i.e. An eprom that loads into the BIOS address-space and configures
the device for you? PCs have been needing that for ever; I don't think
Plug'n'Play is exactly that...

Regards,

The idea was, the PCI config space EEPROM had a BIOS Extended INT 0x13
(interrupt 19) routine, for DOS boot. That's where the BIOS provided
disk services the entire time the OS (DOS) was running. If you had a
RAID card, or even a Promise Ultra133, it could have a config EEPROM.
In the case of the Promise product, the claim by some was, that
the config space info was stored inside the main chip. Which I find
a little hard to believe (combining regular logic and EEPROM
inside the same chip).

If the BIOS modifications in question, are adding a generic
NVMe INT 0x13 routine, that's one thing. But the device should
also have been designed the old way, be autonomous in its
provisioning of legacy support, so the device would work
in more situations. I'm just surprised it's not done that
way. Maybe the introduction of UEFI complicates
matters ? Presumably UEFI still works with older
RAID cards... somehow. Maybe NVMe, the intent is
for it to work in "pure" UEFI environments, with no CSM
at all. There's got to be some (half-assed) reason it
was done this way.

There are plenty of items that don't have config EEPROMs.
And they *could* have added whizzy capabilities if they
wanted. Take, for example, the lowly PCI USB2 card. They
could have written some USB boot emulation codes for those,
such that a user with an older computer that did not have
boot capability at all, could have "pressed control-U" and
brought up a RAID-management-like console and interacted
with devices connected to the USB card. But nobody did that.
Interesting code only exists for a subset of all card types,
so a person could use the excuse that "for NVMe, the dog
ate my homework". But the fact that a BIOS module was
added, a generic module of some sort, shows that just
as easily, that generic module could be purchased from
the developer, and ported to each and every NVMe card.

All we seem to have in computing, is excuses...

Paul

Win7-SSD, or Win7-HDD-SSD Timothy Daniels[_4_] Storage (alternative) 14 April 28th 13 01:36 AM
SSD or HD for Win7 Guillaume Tello Homebuilt PC's 11 December 27th 11 11:30 AM
win7 and P4's mc Dell Computers 24 September 21st 10 09:35 PM
M2N-E and Win7 DraggonFodder Asus Motherboards 11 October 25th 09 02:34 PM