news server question?

Old November 13th 03, 11:42 PM
Matt

Default news server question?

hi,

i kno that this is off topic...but i kno u guys are very smart....does
anyone know the news server to use if you have AOL? thx in advance

rob

Old November 13th 03, 11:44 PM
Ben Pope

Matt wrote:
hi,

i kno that this is off topic...but i kno u guys are very smart....does
anyone know the news server to use if you have AOL? thx in advance

When I had AOL in the UK, they said that they do not support newsgroups.

At that point I signed up to news.cis.dfn.de

Ben

Old November 14th 03, 12:30 AM
Supertimer

Ed wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:42:03 GMT, "Matt" wrote:

hi,

i kno that this is off topic...but i kno u guys are very smart....does
anyone know the news server to use if you have AOL? thx in advance

rob

I don't think AOL carries groups, just one of the many reasons to get a
real ISP. ;P

AOL carries groups. Use keyword "newsgroups" to subscribe
to groups of your choice.

Not only does AOL carry groups but I was one of two people
who proposed the creation of the rec.photo.equipment.aps
newsgroup. After it passed the vote, we just asked AOL to
carry it and it showed up.
Old November 14th 03, 12:32 AM
Matt

i was just asking because i have rr news server and when i try do download
binary files for games....they are always incomplete...thx anyways

Old November 14th 03, 02:26 AM
Pug Fugley

AOL is not an ISP, therefore has a 'watered down' internet and no
newsgroups. AOL sucks.

Old November 14th 03, 03:38 PM
dgk

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:32:31 GMT, "Matt" wrote:

i was just asking because i have rr news server and when i try do download
binary files for games....they are always incomplete...thx anyways

I have RR also. The newsgroup servers are for each area so completion
and retention vary from place to place. Mostly the NYC newserver is
very good on completion but retention is only 16 hours or so for big
binary groups. It can get really bad for a month or so when something
goes wrong but eventually they figure it out and it gets good again.

What many of us binary users do is get a back up paid newserver (I use
giganews) and a newsreader than can use the ISP newserver (read
"free") for whatever segments are on it and just fill in missing
segments from the paid one.

I use newsbin pro, which is absolutely seamless for merging the two
servers. I don't even know which parts are missing on RR unless I
actually look at the properties for each binary.

making a file server question Mystical General 1 October 11th 04 01:30 AM
64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit - new ! vvcd AMD x86-64 Processors 0 September 17th 04 09:07 PM
Salvage Server Project Ablang General 0 July 27th 04 02:30 AM
server requirements question michel General 3 July 12th 04 10:24 AM
Rackmount server specifications News General 0 May 20th 04 06:16 AM