thunderbird 700 temperature

Old October 7th 03, 05:04 AM
j j

Default thunderbird 700 temperature

I have an old Tbird 700 (franlky for what I use it, it's powerful enough)

I have a Volcano 7 or 9 on it, don't remember, one with a copper base

the temperature for the CPU is around 70 Celsius when idle, with a room
temperature of about 23 celsius.

Is this normal?

I have a gigabyte 7ZX motherboard flashed to the latest BIOS. I think the
mobo could accept something like a 1.3 duron. do those run cooler than a 700
Tbird or I'd have the same problem?

the computer keeps freezing when I do intesive stuff.

How can I bring the temperature down? I think the heatsink shouldb e good
enough, it's not a cheap one.

a while ago my old heatsink fan failed and I woke up several mornings to the
smell of burnt silicon. I replaced the heatsink and the CPU works fine.
could that have made the CPU run hotter (I honestly don't see how, just
checking)

Old October 7th 03, 08:17 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 00:04:43 -0400, j j wrote:

I have an old Tbird 700 (franlky for what I use it, it's powerful enough)
I have a Volcano 7 or 9 on it, don't remember, one with a copper base
the temperature for the CPU is around 70 Celsius when idle, with a room
temperature of about 23 celsius.
Is this normal?

No.

I have a gigabyte 7ZX motherboard flashed to the latest BIOS. I think the
mobo could accept something like a 1.3 duron. do those run cooler than a 700
Tbird or I'd have the same problem?

the computer keeps freezing when I do intesive stuff.

How can I bring the temperature down? I think the heatsink shouldb e good
enough, it's not a cheap one.

But it needs to be installed correctly and my guess is that it isn't.

a while ago my old heatsink fan failed and I woke up several mornings to the
smell of burnt silicon. I replaced the heatsink and the CPU works fine.
could that have made the CPU run hotter (I honestly don't see how, just
checking)

I assume you used thermal paste when you installed the new HSF? Check the
installation and make sure it is seated properly.

Old October 7th 03, 03:07 PM
lost

j j wrote:

I have an old Tbird 700 (franlky for what I use it, it's powerful enough)

Yeah

I have a Volcano 7 or 9 on it, don't remember, one with a copper base

the temperature for the CPU is around 70 Celsius when idle, with a room
temperature of about 23 celsius.

Okay, my Athlon seldom goes above 53șC at that room temperature. And I have it
overclocked by 10%. This is with the stock heatsink & fan.

Is this normal?

70șC is very hot for any CPU. If it is idling at that temperature, then it must
be going into the danger zone when it comes under load.

I have a gigabyte 7ZX motherboard flashed to the latest BIOS. I think the
mobo could accept something like a 1.3 duron. do those run cooler than a 700
Tbird or I'd have the same problem?

Your heat problems are not the CPU's fault. Most likely the heatsink isn't
properly fitted to the CPU, or the thermalpad/thermalpaste hasn't be applied.

A 1.3GHz Duron won't be much faster than what you've got. It probably produces a
similar amount of heat, though I'm just guessing. You could probably upgrade
your CPU to an Athlon XP with some fancy unlocking tricks (but why bother

the computer keeps freezing when I do intesive stuff.

Nowonder

How can I bring the temperature down? I think the heatsink shouldb e good
enough, it's not a cheap one.

Whoever attached it did something wrong.

My advice is, find someone who knows their stuff, and have them attach the
heatsink properly with the right thermalpaste or thermalpad. The lack of, or
misapplication of the thermalpaste or thermalpad is almost certainly the
problem.

a while ago my old heatsink fan failed and I woke up several mornings to the
smell of burnt silicon. I replaced the heatsink and the CPU works fine.
could that have made the CPU run hotter (I honestly don't see how, just
checking)

Probably the smell came from burnt plastic. If the CPU was really damaged, then
it'd probably either not work at all or crash irrespective of the temperature.

Old October 7th 03, 03:11 PM
lost

I keep seeing your sig, and I admit, I'm puzzled. Why didn't you set your system
to 2415MHz @ 23x105FSB ?

Old October 7th 03, 03:20 PM
j j

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
I assume you used thermal paste when you installed the new HSF? Check the
installation and make sure it is seated properly.

no, I left the thermal pad that was there on the copper plate. the heatsink
was quite tight on the CPU. I guess I can remove the thermal pad and put
some paste

Old October 7th 03, 03:56 PM
rstlne

no, I left the thermal pad that was there on the copper plate. the
heatsink
was quite tight on the CPU. I guess I can remove the thermal pad and put
some paste

You sure it was a thermal pad, and not just a cover to keep it from getting
something on it?

Old October 7th 03, 04:26 PM
lost

rstlne wrote:

no, I left the thermal pad that was there on the copper plate. the

heatsink
was quite tight on the CPU. I guess I can remove the thermal pad and put
some paste

You sure it was a thermal pad, and not just a cover to keep it from getting
something on it?

Don't those thermal pads have a sticker thing you have to peal off before
attaching?

Old October 7th 03, 07:01 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 03:11:49 +1300, lost wrote:

I keep seeing your sig, and I admit, I'm puzzled. Why didn't you set
your system to 2415MHz @ 23x105FSB ?

No reason, except 100MHz is the default FSB for the board. The intent of
the sig line isn't to show the speed so much as to show you can run the
cpu on a KT133 chipset at and over the default speed of the cpu. Mostly
just to pre-answer the question of What's the fastest cpu........

Old October 9th 03, 08:55 PM
j j

"rstlne" .@. wrote in message
no, I left the thermal pad that was there on the copper plate. the

heatsink
was quite tight on the CPU. I guess I can remove the thermal pad and put
some paste

You sure it was a thermal pad, and not just a cover to keep it from

getting
something on it?

yes, I removed the plastic sheet covering the thermal pad

I took the heatsink off. one of the corners of the pad was gone so I wiped
it off and put some thermal paste.

the temp dropped about 10 celsius at idle but it still goes to 72 at full
load, and an idle of 60 is not great either. I don't know what's wrong with
this processor.