DVD Cover

Old July 19th 08, 07:20 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.computer,uk.rec.video.digital,comp.periphs.printers
John

Default DVD Cover

Can anyone advise what type of glossy paper (weight wise) is about
right for the DVD covers that go inside the plastic on the outside of
the DVD? e.g. 100gsm, 120gsm?

Some of the DVDs I have the paper does seem pretty thin but when I
have been looking for glossy paper for this I don't seem to have been
able to find much below about 190gsm.

Thanks,

John

Old July 19th 08, 07:54 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.computer,uk.rec.video.digital,comp.periphs.printers
Jeff Strickland

I do not understand the goal. What are you trying to do?

The only reason for paper labels is that they can print on the label
separately from the CD itself. You could make your own CD and write on it
with a felt-tip marker (Sharpie brand is excellent for this) and have no
paper at all. The blank labels you buy at the store to print at home are
going to be heavy enough to be fed through any printer. If they are too
thin, some printers may not like them.

Old July 19th 08, 08:16 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.computer,uk.rec.video.digital,comp.periphs.printers
Trev

In ,
Jeff Strickland bashed on keyboard and typed:

"John" wrote in message
Can anyone advise what type of glossy paper (weight wise) is about
right for the DVD covers that go inside the plastic on the outside of
the DVD? e.g. 100gsm, 120gsm?

Some of the DVDs I have the paper does seem pretty thin but when I
have been looking for glossy paper for this I don't seem to have been
able to find much below about 190gsm.

Thanks,

John

I think he means for the case.

Well you dont necessarily have to use glossy, as the plastic sleeve will
make it glossy so any photo paper will do. I would check out
http://svp.co.uk/index.php Good rang of papers in different weights from £2
a pack Satin and silk low cost paper look very good. where as cheap glossy
never looks smooth

--
Trev
Nobody is perfect.

Old July 19th 08, 08:25 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.computer,uk.rec.video.digital,comp.periphs.printers
Jeff Strickland

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry for my top post, but one ought to follow suit. When responding to a
top poster, it helps everybody if you top post as well. I get that I am a
prick for top posting, but you are not likewise a prick for keeping the
discussion going in order, improper or not.

In any case, is the OP merely asking about paper jewel cases? If so, get
whatever is available.

Old July 19th 08, 08:29 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.computer,uk.rec.video.digital,comp.periphs.printers
John H.

"John" wrote in message
Can anyone advise what type of glossy paper (weight wise) is about
right for the DVD covers that go inside the plastic on the outside of
the DVD? e.g. 100gsm, 120gsm?

Some of the DVDs I have the paper does seem pretty thin but when I
have been looking for glossy paper for this I don't seem to have been
able to find much below about 190gsm.

Thanks,

John

I think he means for the case.

Well you dont necessarily have to use glossy, as the plastic sleeve will
make it glossy so any photo paper will do. I would check out
http://svp.co.uk/index.php Good rang of papers in different weights from £2
a pack Satin and silk low cost paper look very good. where as cheap glossy
never looks smooth

If you are in the usa. You can get the dvd case inserts at
supermediastore.com 50 pc. for $14.95
J.H.
Old July 19th 08, 08:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.computer,uk.rec.video.digital,alt.video.dvd.authoring
[email protected]

Can anyone advise what type of glossy paper (weight wise) is about
right for the DVD covers that go inside the plastic on the outside of
the DVD? e.g. 100gsm, 120gsm?

Some of the DVDs I have the paper does seem pretty thin but when I
have been looking for glossy paper for this I don't seem to have been
able to find much below about 190gsm.

Lightweight gloss is not readily available, and the gloss might interact
with, or stick to, the plastic cover.
I'm looking at a pack of Tesco General Use Picture Paper A4 100 sheets
120gsm. Blue outer card cover to pack, says matte coated inkjet paper.
Excellent inkjet results
I also have some 500 sheet packs of 90gsm Tesco Extra White Inkjet
Paper, which gives good inkjet results. It also says colour copier, colour
laser, and gives no problems with my mono laser. AFAIR about £3.50
a pack. Might have been a bulk buy, but it was cheap for the spec, so
after testing I went back for a few more packs.
There is a difference between commercial printing and DIY,
main thing if you are using inkjet, is to find a paper that stops the ink
migrating through the fibres of the paper, which usually means a coated,
specified for inkjet paper.
HP, Xerox System X, are similar.
If you want to use coated inkjet paper in a laser it needs to be
specified for inkjet and laser, otherwise the coating may damage
the fuser.
Old July 19th 08, 09:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.computer,uk.rec.video.digital,alt.video.dvd.authoring
Paul Heslop

wrote:

[...]

I use Photo matte papers. I find the coated thin ones a little brittle
and a bit of searching on some websites (svp has already been
mentioned) can get you good bargains. I was concerned that glossy
would stick, and coated, apart from the brittleness, is usually one
sided (?) whereas some matte paper is able to use both sides, much
better for a half blind idiot like me :O)

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
Old July 19th 08, 09:32 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.computer,uk.rec.video.digital,comp.periphs.printers
DanG

"John" wrote in message
Can anyone advise what type of glossy paper (weight wise) is about
right for the DVD covers that go inside the plastic on the outside of
the DVD? e.g. 100gsm, 120gsm?

Some of the DVDs I have the paper does seem pretty thin but when I
have been looking for glossy paper for this I don't seem to have been
able to find much below about 190gsm.

Thanks,

John

Most any high-res inkjet paper will suffice, since they all look about the
same under the plastic covers. I use good quality coated 32# premium matte
inkjet paper, whatever is on sale.

The real DVD cover is printed on bond paper, like a magazine. The printing
method is completely different, but roughly corresponds to about a 150 DPI
inkjet print in terms of resolution.

Old July 19th 08, 10:49 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.computer,uk.rec.video.digital,comp.periphs.printers
measekite

goto www.surething.com

Old July 20th 08, 12:31 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.computer,uk.rec.video.digital,comp.periphs.printers
G Hardy

"Trev" wrote...

Well you dont necessarily have to use glossy, as the plastic sleeve will
make it glossy so any photo paper will do. I would check out
http://svp.co.uk/index.php Good rang of papers in different weights from
£2 a pack Satin and silk low cost paper look very good. where as cheap
glossy never looks smooth

I've just bought some Mirror 130gsm glossy paper from SVP:
http://svp.co.uk/product/mirror_130g...o_paper_6 194

Works out at 4½p per sheet, and brilliant for DVD inserts

Cover for drive bay Rick Altman General 2 October 25th 05 01:33 PM
cd cover printing? Paul Heslop Cdr 7 January 5th 05 06:06 PM
C84 Ink Cover Problem Sheellah Printers 5 August 15th 04 12:22 AM
PC hangs with cover on, doesnt hang with cover off! bizarre Colm Ward General 15 March 4th 04 12:17 AM
Fan cover removal Matt Dell Computers 2 December 1st 03 01:03 PM