Compaq Presario 5000 Series

Old October 11th 03, 06:58 PM
Zejad Setrallah

Default Compaq Presario 5000 Series

I have a compaq 5000 and I would like to buy a graphiccard. But I'm not sure
which card fit to this compaq series. Can any body help me with that+
thanks

Old October 12th 03, 02:45 AM
kony

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:58:52 +0200, "Zejad Setrallah"
wrote:

I have a compaq 5000 and I would like to buy a graphiccard. But I'm not sure
which card fit to this compaq series. Can any body help me with that+
thanks

Provide more details of the system, like motherboard chipset if known,
or at least the CPU make/speed.

"Some" of them used a slightly modified FIC AZ31 motherboard, which
has an AGP universal slot, meaning it can support both old 1/2X 3.3V
video cards and newer 1.5V 4X cards. It will run 8X cards too but
only at 4X (which in itself isn't much of a performance loss for that
system).

IF it's the FIC AZ31 it'd look almost identical to this (except
possibly a row of small heatsinks to the left of the CPU socket):

http://64.95.118.51/images/opti/96/e...50-elec_lg.jpg

However, Compaq has in the past been stingy with their power supplies,
you may find that it's current power supply needs upgraded to support
a high-performace video card... some of those were standard ATX power
supplies but you need check that too in case it's proprietary. Power
supply dimensions can be found he
http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/pro...ions/index.htm

Dave

Old October 12th 03, 10:10 AM
Zejad Setrallah

Hey!
the model is compaq presario 5000 Series Model5BW120.
Intel celeron processsor
600 MHz
320 MB ram
I hope this will help.
zejad

Old October 12th 03, 01:49 PM
kony

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 11:10:38 +0200, "Zejad Setrallah"
wrote:

"Zejad Setrallah" wrote in message
. dk...
I have a compaq 5000 and I would like to buy a graphiccard. But I'm not

sure
which card fit to this compaq series. Can any body help me with that+
thanks

It appears to have integrated intel 810 graphics, probably using a
shared memory frame-buffer because the board was built cheaply,
without the onboard memory chips. That makes it pretty slow,
especially when the CPU is a Celeron which uses 66MHz FSB, Memory Bus.

It doesn't have an AGP port, so you need a PCI video card. It "most
likely" has a standard ATX power supply (but don't take my word for
it, check that) but I would expect it's a very, very low wattage power
supply, perhaps even as low as 90-150W, maybe a little higher. If you
bought a low-powered PCI video card it may work fine but it's easily
possible that you'd need a bigger power supply.

Your system is too slow to get much benefit from a high-end gamer's
video card, but you didn't mention exactly why you're upgrading the
video.

You might consider an ATI Radeon 9100, Radeon 7500, or nVidia Geforce
4 MX (all in the PCI version).

Dave

Compaq Presario hard drive wazaman59 General 5 September 2nd 03 03:11 PM
Compaq Armada 1700 & docking station Ron General 0 August 31st 03 03:57 PM
Compaq evo and ISDN PCMCIA TA problem Marija General 0 August 28th 03 03:45 PM
Fan on Presario 2500 Ante General 0 August 23rd 03 02:13 PM
HP and Compaq? Smith General 3 July 31st 03 08:04 PM