DIY CPU water cooler won't post,.. please send help

Old October 23rd 03, 06:52 AM
GTD

Default DIY CPU water cooler won't post,.. please send help

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 02:33:34 -0700, perry mason
wrote:

Where did I go wrong?
My stuff:
Asus KT7A board
1.4 gig processor running at 1050
couple hds, burner
2 sound cards.

It's selecting the correct multiplier, but wrong FSB (10.5 x 100 =
1050, 10.5 x 133 = 1400)change the FSB (may need to update the bios)

Hi, I'm not trying to overclock, I just can't stand the shrieking
whine of the cpu fan any more as I'm trying to do music production on
a profoundly amateur scale here.
I'm new to AMD. The KT7A seems to have a 1100g CPU limitation. The
chip I got is a 1.4, I believe, but it only boots at 1050 and runs
great on XP pro with a moderately sized but noisy CPU tower type fan.
I've tried several different fans. People tell me this is the business
as far as quiet fans go. It sucks. There has to be a better way.

I made a water tight cooler taking a 3 inch tall aluminum cylindrical
tower cooler and removing the two inside fans. The walls are finned so
there is plenty of mass and surface area and so on exposed to the
circulating water. I wrapped the outside except for the bottom lightly
with masking tape to contain the epoxy and goobered it up with two 1/4
inch copper pipes sticking out. The bottom is not treated at all, just
a dab of thermal paste. The inlet is close to the heat synch at the
bottom and the outlet is near the top of the container. The board sits
horizontally. No leaks. I used a tiny pump intended for waterfalls not
higher than one foot (Rio 90- $20usd) submerged in roughly a gallon of
ice water. It cycles freezing cold water through a 1/4 inch line at a
pretty good flow. I can't believe cooling is the problem here. The
whole tower is ice cold to the touch.

not a good idea. if anything inside the case is below ambient temp,
you WILL get condensation, and it WILL feck something up.

The first attempt failed as the blob didn't fit very well on the CPU
so it wasn't properly coupled physically to the little square CPU
thermal transfere thingy. Failed to start and never started again.
Scratch one chip. It didn't protect itself by shutting down.
I made a proper lash up to attach the cooler and now is fits perfectly
and is nice and snug. The new 1.4 chip gives 3 successive beeps at
post and I shut it down by pulling the plug. The chip is cold to the

I 'think' 3 beeps is ram failure, but could be wong, check it

touch and the lines are condensed and the tower cooler is absolutely
freezing cold. The return line is spewing icewater at boot time. If
heat were a problem the water being returned would be hot, right? I
plugged the original CPU fan in while holding it in my hand just to
see if it was a feature of the Asus board not to boot if it sensed no
CPU fan plugged into the board but that is not the deal. I put the
routine cooler back on and it boots fine. I tried the spunky DIY buzz
buster water cooled marvel on a P200, BX board and it ran fine at a
DOS prompt with no ice, just water for 4 hours. If anyone has some DIY
ideas I'd be grateful to hear about it. Please don't post links to
$200 completed H2o systems as I'm really not that class of customer.
Thanks for your time, pm.

Old October 24th 03, 01:51 PM
Dave

What sort of CPU is it? If its a Duron then it should be 14 x 100 FSB.

Remove the heat sink and the goo from the chip core and the specs will be
printed in top.

It's selecting the correct multiplier, but wrong FSB (10.5 x 100 =
1050, 10.5 x 133 = 1400)change the FSB (may need to update the bios)

Hi, I fixed the cooling problem and it boots fine at 1050 but if I
pick the 10.5 x 133 option and reboot, the bios screen displays the
CPU at 1400, counts the memory, lists the hard drives, bounces the
cursor to the next line down and hangs- no boot. What else can I
change?
PS, I did flash my bios from a DOS disc with the most recent update to
get the Stop CPU Fan Shutdown option in my KT7A bios to show up. It
now boots to XP pro and Motherboard Monitor shows a CPU temp of 57F
with ice and 82F without ice on my Jed Clampit H20 cooler system. I
think the chip is just a 1600 not a 1600XP+ but I'm not familiar with
the AMD numbering system, my neighbor just handed me a box of parts
for free because he got some new super pc and knew my old system was
dead. Thanks, pm.

Old October 24th 03, 03:08 PM
mrdancer

wrote:

Where did I go wrong?
My stuff:
Asus KT7A board
1.4 gig processor running at 1050
couple hds, burner
2 sound cards.

It's selecting the correct multiplier, but wrong FSB (10.5 x 100 =
1050, 10.5 x 133 = 1400)change the FSB (may need to update the bios)

Hi, I fixed the cooling problem and it boots fine at 1050 but if I
pick the 10.5 x 133 option and reboot, the bios screen displays the
CPU at 1400, counts the memory, lists the hard drives, bounces the
cursor to the next line down and hangs- no boot. What else can I
change?

Sounds like the POST and boot are working fine, and the hangup is with the
OS loading. I don't know a whole lot about WinXP, but I do know that it is
finicky and it may not like your change in CPU. Have you tried
re-installing XP? It could also be that your HDD is failing, but then you
should see that problem at lower CPU settings, too.

PS, I did flash my bios from a DOS disc with the most recent update to
get the Stop CPU Fan Shutdown option in my KT7A bios to show up. It
now boots to XP pro and Motherboard Monitor shows a CPU temp of 57F
with ice and 82F without ice on my Jed Clampit H20 cooler system. I
think the chip is just a 1600 not a 1600XP+ but I'm not familiar with
the AMD numbering system, my neighbor just handed me a box of parts
for free because he got some new super pc and knew my old system was
dead. Thanks, pm.

If it's just a 1600, then it is 1600Mhz chip. If it's a 1600Mhz XP, then
it would be named as XP1900+. AFAIK, the smallest named XP chip is XP1700+,
which is an actual 1470Mhz.

You should be able to determine if it's an XP by looking at the code on the
CPU itself.

Old October 24th 03, 03:50 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:58:44 -0700, perry mason wrote:

Asus KT7A board
1.4 gig processor running at 1050
couple hds, burner
2 sound cards.

It's selecting the correct multiplier, but wrong FSB (10.5 x 100 = 1050,
10.5 x 133 = 1400)change the FSB (may need to update the bios)

Hi, I fixed the cooling problem and it boots fine at 1050 but if I pick
the 10.5 x 133 option and reboot, the bios screen displays the CPU at
1400, counts the memory, lists the hard drives, bounces the cursor to
the next line down and hangs- no boot. What else can I change?

First I'd double check the FSB setting. Make sure the second number is 33
or 34 as in 133/33. CPU drive strength. Ram settings (slow it down). Might
also want to check PS and caps on MB bulging/leaking.

PS, I did flash my bios from a DOS disc with the most recent update to
get the Stop CPU Fan Shutdown option in my KT7A bios to show up. It now
boots to XP pro and Motherboard Monitor shows a CPU temp of 57F with ice
and 82F without ice on my Jed Clampit H20 cooler system. I think the
chip is just a 1600 not a 1600XP+ but I'm not familiar with the AMD
numbering system, my neighbor just handed me a box of parts for free
because he got some new super pc and knew my old system was dead.
Thanks, pm.

More than likely you have an XP 1600+. Also check vcore. It should be
1.75v. Most 1600+'s will run close to 1800MHz, so I don't think you have a
cpu problem. Either setup or something else doesn't like the 133MHz bus,
which is more then likely the ram, or you have a power problem. Could be
PS or caps on MB.

Old October 25th 03, 04:36 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 06:41:12 -0700, perry mason wrote:

Here's an update for those of you following along at home:
My KT7A version is 1.0, which doesn't even support the XP chip. My
chip is an AX1600DMT3C which some vendors called a Tbird, others a
Palomino, some sold it as a 200, some a 266DDR for whatever that's
worth. Many re sellers billed this as the 1600XP+ so we're going with
that. It should yield 1.4gig performance.

It's an XP 1600+ (palomino core) without a doubt. You can confirm that
here.

http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

Got one if these myself. Modded to a 16x multiplier. Complete details in
link in sig.

My bios version is WZ110B.

That's an old bios. You should update it to A9, which I think is the
latest for that version board.

The secret, after 30 hours and 200 reboots is that the chip is locked

All Palomino XP's are multiplier locked from the factory. This can be
changed.

at 10.5x as a multiplier so I had to work from there. No combination
of settings would work over pci33 so I ended up with 130/32 for
1.365ghz CPU speed which is running on XP pro at 73F after a few hours
of moderate use. I'm pretty satisfied so far. Curious why 133/33
x10.5, which seems more natural, wouldn't work. I also followed some
posted recomendations for memory and other settings. The memory is 3
sticks of PC133, one of which is a different maker. They are all
double sided with 8 pairs on each stick. Whoops, hard windows freeze-
bttdb. pm.

Remove all but essential components and test. Make a boot floppy/cd with
memtest on it. Disconnect all other drives and anything else not needed to
boot and run. End up with video card and 1 ram stick. Test. If it still
won't run at 133MHz change the ram stick. If it still won't run check PS.
I assume you have at least a 300w PS. You should be able to get at least
140MHz FSB out of the KT7A board.