Proliant 2500 CPU Upgrade?

Old April 6th 06, 04:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Proliant 2500 CPU Upgrade?

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
The 333Myz processor can cache only 3GB of physical memory. Even still, I
dont know that the 2500 kit allows for up to 3GB of Ram. It would be EDO at
best.

- LC

I looked up the stats on the 333's and you are right. However, that
poses a bit of a mystery. I have a PL3000, at this moment, with dual
333's and 3.5G of EDO. The system runs Sever2000 and seems to use all
of the memory without a complaint. The boot screen even counts the RAM
up to 3.5Gig and also gives no complaints.

Is there a possibility that using DUAL processors can effectively
double the amount of physical memory that can be cached?

Jeff

Old April 6th 06, 04:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
ups.com...

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
The 333Myz processor can cache only 3GB of physical memory. Even still, I
dont know that the 2500 kit allows for up to 3GB of Ram. It would be EDO
at
best.

- LC

I looked up the stats on the 333's and you are right. However, that
poses a bit of a mystery. I have a PL3000, at this moment, with dual
333's and 3.5G of EDO. The system runs Sever2000 and seems to use all
of the memory without a complaint. The boot screen even counts the RAM
up to 3.5Gig and also gives no complaints.

Is there a possibility that using DUAL processors can effectively
double the amount of physical memory that can be cached?

Jeff

I dont think so. But I have to wonder, are you using something OTHER than
Compaq memory in that box? Have you modded it in some way? I know my memory
does not fail me when i say that there are 12 memory slots in that server. 4
onboard, and 8 in the expansion board. Using 256M Buffered EDO Dimms, it
would add up to 3GB. So, what memory do you have in there?

- LC

Old April 7th 06, 02:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

The particular machine I have has 1.5GB of EDO ECC SIMMs. There are four
SIMM slots on the processor board and eight slots on the memory expansion
card. The largest memory module I have in it is 256MB... actually all six
modules installed are each 256MB. Four of them are Compaq labeled parts on
T-shaped modules with memory i.c.'s mounted on both sides. The other two
modules are ICS branded and are "four sided" modules... a circuit board with
a daughter board mounted to it, each with memory parts mounted on both
sides. (yes, they do fit into adjacent memory slots without interference.)

I probably will use the machine as-is; maybe fill out the memory if I find
some really cheap. The Celeron idea was an easy and inexpensive experiment
(less than $20); it just did not work. If there was an experience base on
BIOS hacks that I could draw on, then I am fairly sure the POST check of the
CPUs could be bypassed with no harm to actual operation. So I asked the
question. But it does not seem that there is anything easy that can be
done.

I expect to run Linux without a graphics shell... I might run a graphics
shell for management purposes and then terminate it and go to just command
line while (whatever service?) is running.

This is a self-help / educational project only... maybe I will find
something useful for it to do too.

Thanks for the many helpful responses.

John Dean

"Phil" wrote in message
Jeffery,
I sold a bunch of 800's and 1850's for about 25 bucks each. Most had dual
550's and a few 600's, all had at least 500Meg ram.
Personally, I would think starting out with something a little more than
what he has would be easier and cheaper in the long run. Granted, parts
are
cheap on ebay, but say he gets the ram for a penny, they still charge 6 to
10 shipping, so though the parts individually are dirt cheap, they make it
up in shipping. He will spend more trying to upgrade that older unit than
getting a better (cheap) unit up front. I learned that the hard way years
ago.

Nutcracker is correct on limited ram in some older units. For a starter
machine 512 to 1 Meg is fine on Linux that is when it used on something
like
a web server. To try and use these older machines as a graphics
workstation
on Linux, it will be as slow as molasses if using a full-blown Linux like
fedora.

The applications he runs will actually determine the ram needed. Sounds
like
this is a starter machine with no actual demand, so price may be the only
requirement.

Just a thought,
Phil

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
ps.com...

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
"John Dean" wrote in message

Your 2500 has dual PII333's, but it is (I believe) capable of
supporting 4G of memory.

A 1600 can have as high as dual PIII600's...but can only support a
maximum of 1G of memory.

Now, the boost in processor speed can't be denied...but I wonder if
Linux might PREFER to have the extra memory? WHich of the two machines
would DEFINITELY make a better Linux Server? I'm really not sure.

However, it does seem likely that you may have an easier time finding
some PC66 512M sticks, than you would have swapping out guts or buying
a different machine.

But I am often wrong.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old April 7th 06, 05:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

I dont think so. But I have to wonder, are you using something OTHER than
Compaq memory in that box? Have you modded it in some way? I know my memory
does not fail me when i say that there are 12 memory slots in that server. 4
onboard, and 8 in the expansion board. Using 256M Buffered EDO Dimms, it
would add up to 3GB. So, what memory do you have in there?

- LC

I'll have to do some moving to get the systems, stacked on top of it,
out of the way. There are, in fact 12 slots (all together) and they are
full of 256's except that the top two slots (near the top of the
motherboard) have two 512's. I got these sticks by accident, thinking I
was buying 100MHz sticks. I recall that they are NOT Compaq branded,
but are definitely 66MHz. I'll get you some numbers.