ML370 Gen 1 Raid Solutions

Old April 9th 06, 12:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default ML370 Gen 1 Raid Solutions

I have two Gen 1 ML370 servers with two different RAID solutuions in them. The first server is dual P III 733 with a Smart RAID 431 card and 512 meg RAM. The second server is a P III 1000 with the integrated card on the MOBO. My question is which of these two RAID solutions is the better of the two? Should I get two of the 431 cards or use two of the integrated RAID cards? Is there a better solution? I would appreciate your input and reasoning.
Thanks,
Kevin

Old April 9th 06, 03:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

my current preferred controller for G1 systems is the Smart Array 5300
series. It provides for U160 (Ultra3) speeds, is 64bit, and has battery
backed read/write cache which is required before you can enable
"acceleration" on an array.

I missed an ebay auction sometime in the last 24 hours for a 3rd controller,
this one for my DL380 G1, and had no bids at $24.00 or so.

Between the ROC or 431, I would chose the 431 simply because it supports
Ultra3 at native speeds, where the ROC only does ultra2.

- LC