REJOYCE !!!

Old February 10th 06, 11:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default REJOYCE !!!

Its happened !!! I was finally able to aquire all the bits and pieces
required to build a fully redundant high-availablility cluster !!!

2 x PL6400R
4 x PIII Xeon 500/1M
4GB EDO memory
4x 18GB Ultra3 drives
SA5300/64
2x 66Mhz/64Bit StorageWorks Fibre Cards
NC3131
Intel Pro100
Fully Redundant Fans
2x 500W powersupplys

Compaq StorageWorks 16 Port Fibre Switch (brocade silkworm II 16port switch)
Fibre Channel Disk Storage Systems
2x RA4100 FibreChannel
2x RA4000/4100 RAID Controllers

HA500/F StorageWorks Software package (for HBA Failover)

At last ... my SQL 2000 / Exchange 2003 Active / Active cluster can be given
LIFE !!!!!

Sigh ... Daddy is happy !

- LC

Old February 10th 06, 11:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article , Nut Cracker wrote:
Its happened !!! I was finally able to aquire all the bits and pieces
required to build a fully redundant high-availablility cluster !!!

2 x PL6400R
4 x PIII Xeon 500/1M
4GB EDO memory
4x 18GB Ultra3 drives
SA5300/64
2x 66Mhz/64Bit StorageWorks Fibre Cards
NC3131
Intel Pro100
Fully Redundant Fans
2x 500W powersupplys

Cool.. You've got one more than I have (albeit you've got a bit more
RAM than I do in my 6400R, Fibre cards, + SA5300)

Compaq StorageWorks 16 Port Fibre Switch (brocade silkworm II 16port switch)
Fibre Channel Disk Storage Systems
2x RA4100 FibreChannel
2x RA4000/4100 RAID Controllers

So.. How much faster is using a setup like this (if any) over using a dedicated
4214 or similar -- is this mostly for situations where you've got multiple
machines all plugged into the same disk-farm and doesn't really buy you much
beyond that?

-- Rick

Old February 11th 06, 12:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Rick F." wrote in message
In article , Nut Cracker
wrote:
[...]

Shared storage is required for clustering. I "could" use a shared SCSI
system, but I dont like shared SCSI and it isnt as scalable as a fibre based
system.

-- Rick

Old February 11th 06, 12:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

In article , Nut Cracker wrote:

Shared storage is required for clustering. I "could" use a shared SCSI
system, but I dont like shared SCSI and it isnt as scalable as a fibre based
system.

So if you're never going to have more than a single system going, there's no
real advantage to using a setup like you've got...correct? In my case I
don't plan to ever have more than a single server running, so I think I
should be OK with my 4213/4214 setup I'm on the lookout for..

I'll have to admit that your setup sounds pretty sweet, but I know if I
had all that stuff that my wife would probably divorce me! (8-

-- Rick

Old February 11th 06, 01:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Rick F." wrote in message
In article , Nut Cracker wrote:

Shared storage is required for clustering. I "could" use a shared SCSI
system, but I dont like shared SCSI and it isnt as scalable as a fibre
based
system.

So if you're never going to have more than a single system going, there's
no
real advantage to using a setup like you've got...correct? In my case I
don't plan to ever have more than a single server running, so I think I
should be OK with my 4213/4214 setup I'm on the lookout for..

Yes, if you are only ever going to have 1 system running, your setup is
fine.

I'll have to admit that your setup sounds pretty sweet, but I know if I
had all that stuff that my wife would probably divorce me! (8-

I had one of those once ... that was before I had a datacenter in my spare
space .. truth is, my servers keep me warmer at night.

- LC

Old February 11th 06, 02:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Is that how you spell it: REJOYCE?

It doesn't look right. Shouldn't a data center have a little space free
for a spell checker?

Old February 11th 06, 04:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Jeffrey Alsip wrote:
Is that how you spell it: REJOYCE?

It doesn't look right. Shouldn't a data center have a little space free
for a spell checker?

Perhaps those servers aren't as caliente as one might hope -- who is
Joyce? The ex? A dream? :-)

I've dreamt of Joyce...

Michael
Old February 11th 06, 07:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is that how you spell it: REJOYCE?

It doesn't look right. Shouldn't a data center have a little space free
for a spell checker?

damn, i was right the first time .... why do i second guess myself?

rejoice