Novell Desktop Linux 10: getting closer to a toss up between Linux & Windows?

Old February 15th 06, 12:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Default Novell Desktop Linux 10: getting closer to a toss up between Linux & Windows?

On a sunny day (Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:08:55 -0500) it happened Keith
wrote in :

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:50:47 +0000, Jan Panteltje wrote:

On a sunny day (Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:10:36 -0500) it happened Keith
wrote in :

And you think that is "backup"? What about a fire in the building?

You are *that* dissatisfied with that job?

WTF are you on about now? Maybe you Europeons haven't invented fire yet?

You mean you cowboys learned it from the injuns?
Old February 15th 06, 12:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On a sunny day (Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:50:53 GMT) it happened Robert Redelmeier
wrote in
:

Jan Panteltje wrote in part:
I think some of the confusion perhaps comes from not
understanding Unix X windows. When you are using a 'xterm' a
text terminal in X windows, you are STILL fully GUI capable.

Yes, and I frequently see X screens just populated with
a series of xterms. Personally, I prefer using SVGATextMode
and running Linux virtual consoles at 160x73 chars.

And the 3 button mouse, 2 left clicks select a word, 3 a
sentence, one middle mouse click pastes at cursor.

Yes, and gpm does the cut'n'paste in CLI

ftp://panteltje.com/pub/d/ (I hope the ftp works for you,

Nope. Didn't work for me.

I will have to look at that, local connects work fine for all users...
This is 'proftpd' started from inet.d/
Old February 15th 06, 12:49 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On a sunny day (Tue, 14 Feb 2006 20:01:49 -0500) it happened George Macdonald
wrote in
:

I've heard people describe Windows menuing interface as intuitive - what
utter tripe!... consistent *can* be its strength if programmers don't
wander too far. While I think we're all aware of the strengths of a CLI,
any suggestion of going without a GUI would be absurd - Jan's GUI avoidance
is err, perverted.:-)

Yes make fun of it, I put some desktop shots here, as ftp seems to have been
censored in the US ;-)
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/d/
Old February 15th 06, 12:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Put them he

http://panteltje.com/panteltje/d/

use a real viewer....
Old February 15th 06, 02:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

George Macdonald wrote in part:
Hmm, I have to say I've found grep et.al. umm, also easy to
forget - I've invested the "time" 3 or 4 times over many years
with each new brush with Unix *and* had to endure the (x)sh
du jour and even had to mess with two different flavors at the
same time at one point... which I found extremely frustrating.

Of course! Almost everything is difficult to learn and retain
if you don't use it.

I've heard people describe Windows menuing interface as intuitive
- what utter tripe!...

Agreed. The only intuitive interface is the nipple. -- Jay Volmer

consistent *can* be its strength if programmers don't wander
too far. While I think we're all aware of the strengths of a
CLI, any suggestion of going without a GUI would be absurd -

For me, it's the other 'way around. Any suggestion of going
without a CLI is absurd in the long term. I can suffer for a
short while if I don't have admin to do. But it is painfully
slow and inflexible. With ssh, I can work across the 'net on
my home computer _exactly_ as if I were at the console. My mail
goes into the same folders, my usenet .newsrc is current and my
web favorites and cache are all there. I can easily & temporarily
run `putty` on most unlocked MS-Windows machines.

Graphics are only rarely important, like when I want to watch
traffic maps, weather or hurricane tracks. Perhaps I should
look into SVGAlib so I don't need to load X. I can navigate
most websites (except my bank's) with `links`.

Jan's GUI avoidance is err, perverted.:-)

Then I'm even worse. I load X less than once per day.
(I've been MS-free for 5+ years except at work). I can see
GUIs have some use. Just not much for me. I would have to
give up too much.

-- Robert

Old February 15th 06, 02:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

The little lost angel wrote in part:
Hmm interesting! I didn't know the shells can do filename
completion nowadays! That might make things a lot easier. Every
year or so, I make one attempt at setting up a *nix box and it
always end up as too much of a tedium to use :P

File name completion isn't all that new. I believe 4DOS had it 15+
years ago. I get irritated when I'm stuck with some dumb install
shell (like `ash`) without a history or filename completion.
FYI, filename completion will also do the quoting/escaping to
properly handle filenames with spaces in them.

Completion (both command and filename) and persistant (on disk)
command history are two important CLI usability features. I can
look back and see what command worked to do something I need done
again. And just type !321 if I want to repeat it, or !321 if
I want to edit it. This helps when I look back 6 months to see
how I burnt a backup of my son's MS-WinXP box across the network.

Even MS-WinNT cmd.exe has filename completion (but not command
completion). You many need to adjust registry settings under
HKLM\sw\MS\Command Processor , but I believe XP has reasonable
defaults [TAB].

-- Robert

Old February 15th 06, 06:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:31:05 GMT, Robert Redelmeier
wrote:

Even MS-WinNT cmd.exe has filename completion (but not command
completion). You many need to adjust registry settings under
HKLM\sw\MS\Command Processor , but I believe XP has reasonable
defaults [TAB].

Thanks for the tip!

--
A Lost Angel, fallen from heaven
Lost in dreams, Lost in aspirations,
Old February 16th 06, 04:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

wrote in :

And you think that is "backup"? What about a fire in the building?
You are *that* dissatisfied with that job?

WTF are you on about now? Maybe you Europeons haven't invented fire yet?

You mean you cowboys learned it from the injuns?

Unlike Europeons, we learn.

--
Keith

Old February 16th 06, 11:16 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:49:38 GMT, Jan Panteltje
wrote:

On a sunny day (Tue, 14 Feb 2006 20:01:49 -0500) it happened George Macdonald
wrote in
:

I've heard people describe Windows menuing interface as intuitive - what
utter tripe!... consistent *can* be its strength if programmers don't
wander too far. While I think we're all aware of the strengths of a CLI,
any suggestion of going without a GUI would be absurd - Jan's GUI avoidance
is err, perverted.:-)

Yes make fun of it, I put some desktop shots here, as ftp seems to have been
censored in the US ;-)
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/d/

Censored? I don't think so - you just don't know how to do it apparently.
If you were expecting people to run an FTP to download *your* files, which
could be infections for all we know, and then run them through a viewer
program you're as daft as a brush.

As for the content, I still don't know what you're trying to present he
so you have a few graphical interface progs which run under X. So bloody
what? You think we've never seen an X application before?

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old February 16th 06, 11:16 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:07:01 GMT, Robert Redelmeier
wrote:

George Macdonald wrote in part:

consistent *can* be its strength if programmers don't wander
too far. While I think we're all aware of the strengths of a
CLI, any suggestion of going without a GUI would be absurd -

For me, it's the other 'way around. Any suggestion of going
without a CLI is absurd in the long term. I can suffer for a
short while if I don't have admin to do. But it is painfully
slow and inflexible. With ssh, I can work across the 'net on
my home computer _exactly_ as if I were at the console. My mail
goes into the same folders, my usenet .newsrc is current and my
web favorites and cache are all there. I can easily & temporarily
run `putty` on most unlocked MS-Windows machines.

But it sounds to me like Jan is trying to "sell" a vertical solution to end
users - most people can't cope with anything more than a browser.

Graphics are only rarely important, like when I want to watch
traffic maps, weather or hurricane tracks. Perhaps I should
look into SVGAlib so I don't need to load X. I can navigate
most websites (except my bank's) with `links`.

I don't think I could go "back" to something like `links` - sounds like
wearing a hair shirt to me.:-)

Jan's GUI avoidance is err, perverted.:-)

Then I'm even worse. I load X less than once per day.
(I've been MS-free for 5+ years except at work). I can see
GUIs have some use. Just not much for me. I would have to
give up too much.

On the subject of M$ dependency, I came across this last night:
$22Billion and this is what they came up with! I can't see any mention of
what the actual dependency is -- ActiveX maybe? -- but it's odd that they
only mention Mac users as those who are excluded.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald