What To Do About My Old Digital Camera - Old USB?

Old December 30th 05, 05:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default What To Do About My Old Digital Camera - Old USB?

Another question lol:

One thing that I am heavily into is taking pictures with my digital
camera and putting them on my computer and e-mailing them to friends and
family.

Ok, I got my digital camera about one year after I got my old computer
(five years ago.) So all my old computer USB outlets are old USB. My
camera came with a USB/camera cable but it's old USB.

So what do I do now? My new Dell has those new USB 2 sockets. Are old
USB and new USB compatible? Can I even stick an old USB cable into a USB
socket? Will it fit? Are there any go-between connectors?

Much Thanks!

Old December 30th 05, 03:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

For just about any type of standard flash memory, the fastest
way to transfer pictures from the camera is going to be picking up a USB
2.0 memory card reader, taking the card froout of the camera, and
inserting it into the reader which you will use to transfer its contents
to the PC.

That's been my findings, too. Even a fast camera was slower than the USB
2.0 reader.

Old December 30th 05, 04:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Von Fourche,
Since you got a new Dell. You may want to go to the camera's manufacturer's website, and see if there are any driver/software updates for that camera being connected to a XP PC.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

Old January 3rd 06, 09:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Nicholas Andrade" wrote in message
. ..

....snip

There's no benefit in transfering the pictures
via the camera (again, this presumes it stores the pictures in standard
JPEG formamt on the memory card).

Never say never. I have a Kodak DC220 that can record audio clips. If you
don't use the USB cable, you can't "see" the audio clips. They must be
embedded in the jpgs somehow. I bought that camera in 1998 and it still
works although it's been replaced with a newer model that takes videos too.

alien

Old January 3rd 06, 10:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"alien" wrote in message
. net...

"Nicholas Andrade" wrote in message
. ..

...snip

There's no benefit in transfering the pictures
via the camera (again, this presumes it stores the pictures in standard
JPEG formamt on the memory card).

Never say never. I have a Kodak DC220 that can record audio clips. If
you don't use the USB cable, you can't "see" the audio clips. They must
be embedded in the jpgs somehow. I bought that camera in 1998 and it
still works although it's been replaced with a newer model that takes
videos too.

alien

Actually, I wrote a program, many years ago, that would pull the audio clips
out of the files (220, 260, 290). You could copy the files using a card
reader and then extract the audio. Not even sure I have it anymore, but if
you're dying to have it.....

Old January 4th 06, 02:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Nicholas Andrade" wrote in message
om...
alien wrote:
"Nicholas Andrade" wrote in message
. ..

...snip

There's no benefit in transfering the pictures

via the camera (again, this presumes it stores the pictures in standard
JPEG formamt on the memory card).

Never say never. I have a Kodak DC220 that can record audio clips. If
you don't use the USB cable, you can't "see" the audio clips. They must
be embedded in the jpgs somehow. I bought that camera in 1998 and it
still works although it's been replaced with a newer model that takes
videos too.

alien

I presume you missed the part in parentheses; although the clip you
described may have been JPEG compliant, I wouldn't call it "standard". Yes
there are special cases where transferring via the camera may be
important, but it's virtually always not the case when dealing with
standard graphical files.

It's still a 'standard' jpeg file. The jpeg standard allows from broad
interpretation and they are still standard

Old January 4th 06, 11:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

alien wrote:

"Nicholas Andrade" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

I guess it wasn't clear; I didn't say a, "JPEG which meets the standards
of the format," but rather a "standard JPEG format". I was using standard
as in "regularly and widely used", not "meeting what is required in the
format" (for that I used the word compliant).

I'm just being picky, but you're redefining the word standard to fit your
argument.