6800GT Zalman Cooler upgrade

Old December 22nd 05, 04:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default 6800GT Zalman Cooler upgrade

In the interests of contributing to the group, I took pictures of the
upgrade I performed on my XFX 6800GT this afternoon.

I fitted a Zalman VF700 cooler and VGA heatsinks. Not that difficult and
result is excellent.

Hope it helps

http://www.silverbyte.co.uk/zalman/

John
Old December 22nd 05, 04:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Mods really are a trip, aren't they?

I totally enjoyed your page.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old December 22nd 05, 06:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

In the interests of contributing to the group, I took pictures of the
upgrade I performed on my XFX 6800GT this afternoon.

I fitted a Zalman VF700 cooler and VGA heatsinks. Not that difficult and
result is excellent.

Hope it helps

http://www.silverbyte.co.uk/zalman/

John

Not a bad cooler.. I fitted one to my 6800GT a few weeks ago, Temperatures even on the slowest quiet speed dropped by
about 8C which is pretty good.

I've also thought about fitting their large cpu cooler with the 92mm fan, but I may not have sufficient clearance on my
Neo2 Platinum board... need to do some checking first.

Mike
Old December 22nd 05, 10:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Thanks for that John. I have the same card as you and have been thinking of
doing this myself but have always thought it would be difficult. But the
noise is driving me crazy so I'm thinking about it more and more. Is the
difference in noise what you expected? Have any of the ram heatsinks fallen
off? I can definitely recommend a passive Northbridge cooler from Zalman.

Cheers.

Si

Old December 22nd 05, 11:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Jonni" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
In the interests of contributing to the group, I took pictures of the
upgrade I performed on my XFX 6800GT this afternoon.

I fitted a Zalman VF700 cooler and VGA heatsinks. Not that difficult and
result is excellent.

Hope it helps

http://www.silverbyte.co.uk/zalman/

John

Great Work!
The noise of my MSI Cooler is ok, but maybe...
Is that small chip near the GPU the AGP to PCIe converter?

Cu, Michael

Old December 23rd 05, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Si wrote:
Thanks for that John. I have the same card as you and have been thinking of
doing this myself but have always thought it would be difficult. But the
noise is driving me crazy so I'm thinking about it more and more. Is the
difference in noise what you expected? Have any of the ram heatsinks fallen
off? I can definitely recommend a passive Northbridge cooler from Zalman.

Cheers.

Si

Hi Si,
The noise reduction was much better than I expected. I am running the
fan in silent mode which is half the speed of normal mode but it is
still running fine at about 60 degrees.

Thanks - I ordered my passive Northbridge cooler today!

John
Old December 23rd 05, 01:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Michael Tipotsch wrote:
"Jonni" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

In the interests of contributing to the group, I took pictures of the
upgrade I performed on my XFX 6800GT this afternoon.

I fitted a Zalman VF700 cooler and VGA heatsinks. Not that difficult and
result is excellent.

Hope it helps

http://www.silverbyte.co.uk/zalman/

John

Great Work!
The noise of my MSI Cooler is ok, but maybe...
Is that small chip near the GPU the AGP to PCIe converter?

Cu, Michael

Thanks Michael. I presume you mean the small rectangular chip underneath
the GPU? - to be honest I don't know what that is - would a PCIe card
actually need an AGP converter? I don't know

Anyone else know?
Old December 23rd 05, 02:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Jonni wrote:
In the interests of contributing to the group, I took pictures of the
upgrade I performed on my XFX 6800GT this afternoon.

I fitted a Zalman VF700 cooler and VGA heatsinks. Not that difficult and
result is excellent.

Hope it helps

http://www.silverbyte.co.uk/zalman/

John

Lovely pictorial indeed,i had a Vf700 on a 6600Gt but i skipped to a
completely Passively cooled 6800Le @16/6 350/800Mhz ( love the Polar
Freezer,is it available outside of Europe at all ? )
Its like i said once you reduce the noise of one part theres other parts
screaming at you,atm i am trying to silence my Hdds by putting them into
Cd-drive cases filled with fitting bitumen-layers,tedious work but oh
the joy of silence is worth it.

Cheers,Thomas

p.s. don't worry about those ram Heatsinks,they seem to be not that
sticky because the are designed to be easily removeable by twisting
them,the thermal adhesive isn't as strong as one expects but since the
heatsinks themselves weigh next to nothing it sticks good enough.
Old December 23rd 05, 03:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Early nVidia GPUs like the 6800GT/Ultra were designed natively for AGP. The
bridge chip allowed them to work over the PCIe interface. For a while the
board vendors actually bitched about paying $5 extra per card for the bridge
chip.

Subsequent GPUs like the 6600GT were designed natively for PCIe and required
a different bridge chip to function over the legacy AGP interface.

Old December 23rd 05, 09:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Jonni wrote in
:

Si wrote:
Thanks for that John. I have the same card as you and have been
thinking of doing this myself but have always thought it would be
difficult. But the noise is driving me crazy so I'm thinking about it
more and more. Is the difference in noise what you expected? Have any
of the ram heatsinks fallen off? I can definitely recommend a passive
Northbridge cooler from Zalman.

Cheers.

Si

Hi Si,
The noise reduction was much better than I expected. I am running the
fan in silent mode which is half the speed of normal mode but it is
still running fine at about 60 degrees.

Thanks - I ordered my passive Northbridge cooler today!

I should really do the same, but I spent 2 hours putting all the components
in (watercooling SLI makes things quite tight and difficult), and I don't
fancy having to do it all again.