3com Homeconnect & Messenger...

Old August 13th 05, 02:42 PM
Bruno

Default 3com Homeconnect & Messenger...

I'm having trouble running a 3com homeconnect cam with MSN Messenger 7.0 on
Win XP

I have installed Vista Imaging's multicam drivers, and the cam works fine
with all other apps that I have tried it with.

With messenger, I go into cam settings, and it produces the cam image. After
clicking the Close button, I can't use the cam: If I go back in it says that
the cam is being used by another application.
If I try to just go ahead and start a vidoconference, the cam image is lost
after a second.

The only way to get access to the cam again is to unload messenger - This
frees up the cam resources.

Does anyone have any experience with this combination? Did someone get
ths to work? If so, what drivers did you use?

Old August 13th 05, 06:11 PM
Si Ballenger

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:42:43 -0400, "Bruno"
wrote:

I'm having trouble running a 3com homeconnect cam with MSN Messenger 7.0 on
Win XP

I have installed Vista Imaging's multicam drivers, and the cam works fine
with all other apps that I have tried it with.

With messenger, I go into cam settings, and it produces the cam image. After
clicking the Close button, I can't use the cam: If I go back in it says that
the cam is being used by another application.
If I try to just go ahead and start a vidoconference, the cam image is lost
after a second.

The only way to get access to the cam again is to unload messenger - This
frees up the cam resources.

Does anyone have any experience with this combination? Did someone get
ths to work? If so, what drivers did you use?

For messenger issues, check the below group. Lots of post there.

microsoft.public.msn.messenger

Old September 18th 05, 02:35 AM
GlennV

Hey Bruno!

I have the same camera as you (3Com Home Connect 3718) and have
the exact same issue! I find that you get ONE use of the cam in a
video conference with MSN Messenger 7.5 Once you disconnect from it
and try to start another session you're hooped! The only solution is
to reboot and then you have one more session.

I've tried both Vicam's 6858 drivers, as well as Inside Out
Networks iucam220.exe drivers. Both will make the camera work ONCE
with MSN Messenger 7.5 but after you quit that session, the only
thing that will make it work again is a reboot.

This problem does not seem to happen with NetMeeting. In other
words I can start and stop the camera in different sesssions of
NetMeeting with no problem but not with MSN Messenger 7.5 Also once
the camera has stopped working in MSN Messenger 7.5 it won't fire up
in NetMeeting anymore until a reboot.

So this leads me to think it's a MSN Messenger 7.5 issue. If you
find a solution I'd be grateful to hear from you, or anyone else.
Thanks and good luck!!

Old September 23rd 05, 04:26 PM
yugi

I'm having the same problem, but I solved it by restarting MSN
messenger every time after I used the camera. Then the camera starts
working again. It only happens on Windows XP and with MSN messenger
only. On windows 2000 with MSN 7.0 it works fine. Looks like some XP
and/or vista imaging drivers related issue.