Problem with EP45T-EXTREME

Old February 6th 09, 03:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Maciej Piechotka

Default Problem with EP45T-EXTREME

Hello. I have a problem with booting on EP45T-EXTREME. I suspect eighter
the CPU or motherboard (since the only communication with the system in
through the motherboard I ask here):

- The diode showing CPU temperature is showing 60° C
- The diode showing CPU load is showing near 100% load
- The cpu fan move slightly at startup and after a few mm it stops (it moves
back on power-off). It is not due to some other fan (checked)
- The screen is blank
- The error code display is showing FF

The configuration:
- GA-EP46T-EXTREME as motherboard
- Core Quad 2 Q9650 3 GHz
- Kingstone memory 1600 MHz DDR 3
- Gigabyte Radeon 4870x2
- 850 W power supply

Any ideas?

Regards

PS. I tried to use Gigabyte support center but I receive no response as far.
--
I've probably left my head... somewhere. Please wait untill I find it.
Homepage (pl_PL): http://uzytkownik.jogger.pl/

Old February 9th 09, 06:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Maciej Piechotka wrote:
Hello. I have a problem with booting on EP45T-EXTREME. I suspect eighter
the CPU or motherboard (since the only communication with the system in
through the motherboard I ask here):

- The diode showing CPU temperature is showing 60° C
- The diode showing CPU load is showing near 100% load
- The cpu fan move slightly at startup and after a few mm it stops (it moves
back on power-off). It is not due to some other fan (checked)
- The screen is blank
- The error code display is showing FF

The configuration:
- GA-EP46T-EXTREME as motherboard
- Core Quad 2 Q9650 3 GHz
- Kingstone memory 1600 MHz DDR 3
- Gigabyte Radeon 4870x2
- 850 W power supply

Any ideas?

Regards

PS. I tried to use Gigabyte support center but I receive no response as far.

The motherboard has two power cables. The 24 pin one is for the motherboard
electrical loads. The 8 pin one is for powering the processor. The Debug
Display sitting at FF means the CPU has not executed any code.

The 8 pin power connector, can use either a four pin or an eight pin
power source. One page of the user manual, is dedicated to explaining
about the power connectors. If using the eight pin connector, you
can check the pin numbers against that shown in the manual. There should be
four identical yellow wires on one side and four black wires on the
other side. The yellow wires are +12V.

You can also use a four pin connector. The connector plugs into
pins 3,4,7,8.

If the power is fully connected, you can try a test with the
memory removed and the video card removed. Make sure you have
a computer case speaker connected to the F_PANEL header, so you
can hear "beeps" caused by the memory and video card being
unplugged. If you hear beeps, it means the CPU has executed
some code. You should also be able to view a new value on the
debug display. The debug display shows "progress" codes and
not "error" codes. Before a subroutine executes in the BIOS,
the progress code is updated to indicate what happens next.
When the display gets stuck, that tells you what subroutine
it is stuck at.

The best way to read the manual, is with the PDF version.
It is available from one of several Gigabyte websites.

ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/mo...-extreme_e.pdf

Paul
Old February 9th 09, 11:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Maciej Piechotka

Paul writes:

Maciej Piechotka wrote:
[...]

Yes. Both are connected.

The Debug
Display sitting at FF means the CPU has not executed any code.

Ok. That what I suspected.

The 8 pin power connector, can use either a four pin or an eight pin
power source. One page of the user manual, is dedicated to explaining
about the power connectors. If using the eight pin connector, you
can check the pin numbers against that shown in the manual. There should be
four identical yellow wires on one side and four black wires on the
other side. The yellow wires are +12V.

Although it is as you described in power supply manual actually 2 wires
(which are detechable to make 2x3 pin connector) are black from 'right'.

I'll try with different cable/PS Socket.

You can also use a four pin connector. The connector plugs into
pins 3,4,7,8.

If the power is fully connected, you can try a test with the
memory removed and the video card removed. Make sure you have
a computer case speaker connected to the F_PANEL header, so you
can hear "beeps" caused by the memory and video card being
unplugged. If you hear beeps, it means the CPU has executed
some code.

I didn't find case speaker (unless I can connect HD Audio or AC 97 - but
I don't think so). But I'll check the error code.

You should also be able to view a new value on the
debug display. The debug display shows "progress" codes and
not "error" codes. Before a subroutine executes in the BIOS,
the progress code is updated to indicate what happens next.
When the display gets stuck, that tells you what subroutine
it is stuck at.

It was called so in the manual so...

The best way to read the manual, is with the PDF version.
It is available from one of several Gigabyte websites.

ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/mo...-extreme_e.pdf

Paul

I had read both the dead tree copy attached to motherboard as well as
this in hope it is updated and extended.

Regards and thanks for responding
Old February 9th 09, 02:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Maciej Piechotka wrote:

The 8 pin power connector, can use either a four pin or an eight pin
power source. One page of the user manual, is dedicated to explaining
about the power connectors. If using the eight pin connector, you
can check the pin numbers against that shown in the manual. There should be
four identical yellow wires on one side and four black wires on the
other side. The yellow wires are +12V.

Although it is as you described in power supply manual actually 2 wires
(which are detechable to make 2x3 pin connector) are black from 'right'.

You are using the PCI Express connector! That is not the correct connector.

Try the ATX12V 2x2 connector, which exists on desktop power supplies. This
is enough to power up to a 130W processor. Plug into pins 3,4,7,8 (see the manual,
which is where I got those pin numbers). Don't use the PCI Express connector.
On a brand new motherboard, sometimes there is a sticky label to cover
the unused four pins of the ATX12V 8 pin connector, making it more
obvious where the 2x2 connector goes. The plastic "latch" on the 2x2, should
partially engage the plastic latch mate on the motherboard side.

http://www.atmarkit.co.jp/fsys/cable...x12v-cbl-l.jpg

You're also going to have to check what you've done with that PCI
Express connector. Did the yellow wires feed 12V pins on the connector ?
Or did you somehow manage to reverse the connections, such that yellow
went to GND and black went to the 12V pins ? If you did that, you may
have damaged the Vcore circuit.

I didn't find case speaker (unless I can connect HD Audio or AC 97 - but
I don't think so). But I'll check the error code.

See "F_PANEL" in the manual. "SPEAK+" and "SPEAK-" go to the case speaker
inside the computer case. The speaker will have a 1x4 connector on the end.
The computer typically sends beep codes to the speaker.

Paul
Old February 9th 09, 10:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Maciej Piechotka

Paul writes:

Maciej Piechotka wrote:

The 8 pin power connector, can use either a four pin or an eight pin
power source. One page of the user manual, is dedicated to explaining
about the power connectors. If using the eight pin connector, you
can check the pin numbers against that shown in the manual. There should be
four identical yellow wires on one side and four black wires on the
other side. The yellow wires are +12V.

Although it is as you described in power supply manual actually 2 wires
(which are detechable to make 2x3 pin connector) are black from 'right'.

You are using the PCI Express connector! That is not the correct connector.

I know that's not the question for you - but why does it suits? the pins
seems to be made to be idiotproof. Both are marked as 12 V - and no
warning in the motherboard manual.

Try the ATX12V 2x2 connector, which exists on desktop power supplies. This
is enough to power up to a 130W processor. Plug into pins 3,4,7,8 (see the manual,
which is where I got those pin numbers).

The only 4 that fits...

Don't use the PCI Express connector.
On a brand new motherboard, sometimes there is a sticky label to cover
the unused four pins of the ATX12V 8 pin connector, making it more
obvious where the 2x2 connector goes. The plastic "latch" on the 2x2, should
partially engage the plastic latch mate on the motherboard side.

http://www.atmarkit.co.jp/fsys/cable...x12v-cbl-l.jpg

Thanks.

You're also going to have to check what you've done with that PCI
Express connector. Did the yellow wires feed 12V pins on the connector ?
Or did you somehow manage to reverse the connections, such that yellow
went to GND and black went to the 12V pins ? If you did that, you may
have damaged the Vcore circuit.

I hope not. I plug only for short period and it seems to boot (I haven't
connect everything but it changed CMOS value).

I didn't find case speaker (unless I can connect HD Audio or AC 97 - but
I don't think so). But I'll check the error code.

See "F_PANEL" in the manual. "SPEAK+" and "SPEAK-" go to the case speaker
inside the computer case. The speaker will have a 1x4 connector on the end.
The computer typically sends beep codes to the speaker.

I know - but there is no connector. Or at least I see no one.

Paul

Regards and thanks. All they say in gigabyte support center was to
return it.
Old February 10th 09, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Maciej Piechotka

Maciej Piechotka writes:

You're also going to have to check what you've done with that PCI
Express connector. Did the yellow wires feed 12V pins on the connector ?
Or did you somehow manage to reverse the connections, such that yellow
went to GND and black went to the 12V pins ? If you did that, you may
have damaged the Vcore circuit.

I hope not. I plug only for short period and it seems to boot (I haven't
connect everything but it changed CMOS value).

It's alive

Thanks - once again usenet has shown superiority over support center