Mouse doesn't move

Old June 26th 03, 01:24 AM
byteryder

Default Mouse doesn't move

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 16:43:56 -0500, philo
wrote:

byteryder wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:50:34 -0500, "philo"
wrote:

"byteryder" wrote in message

A couple days ago my kids mouse quit workin on his old pentium 200. It
was a serial mouse and was fairly old so I just went and bought him a
new one. I hooked the new one up and it still didn't work.

I checked all the settings in the control panel and they all seemed
right. I also rebooted and went into the CMOS to see if anything had
been disabled.

I finally got frustratedwith all the crap he had booting in the
background everytime I re-booted that I formatted the hard drive and
re-installed windows... thinking maybe he had messed up his drivers
somehow.

Stil nothing....... Now after all this he tells me, his mouse was
snaggin under his desk and he had given it a good YANK. I checked the
pins and they all SEEM fine, but I'm not sure if he somehow damaged
the serial port etc.

Is there any way to test the port????

did you get a real serial mouse
or did you by a ps/2 mouse and then use an adaptor you already had?

unless the mouse was designed to be used as serial or ps/2 it won't
work

if youir kid yanked on the cord, he could have damaged the mouse
but it's not likely he hurt the port itself
but it would not be a bad idea to open the case and check inside to be sure
the wiring didn't come off

The Original Mouse was a REAL serial mouse. I couldn't find a real one
at Futureless Shop, so had to buy a PS2 mouse and adapter to fit the
ps2 mouse and the serial port.

I also just changed the cable that cmes off the motherboard to the
serial port, thinking maybe he broke the connection at the pin, but
still no luck.

ok
then you will have to get a real serial mouse

Just bought a REAl serial mouse and installed the drivers.... Windows
boots and comes up with a message saying there is no mouse attached.

I then deleted the mouse in the controll panel\system\deviices (?) and
reinstalled the driver for that mouse etc. ...... same problem. The
time I'm killin tryin to fix his computer... I might be cheaper to buy
him another one :-)

ANY ideas would be appreciated

Old June 26th 03, 02:10 AM
rcm711

I noted one thing in all this. You changed the serial cable from the
motherboard to the case.

There are two kinds of serial cables for the motherboard. One is wired in
the DB-9 connector as

12345
6789

The other

13579
2468

It is possible (and probable by Murphy's law) that you put on the wrong type
of cable so that the port is no longer set up as serial correctly. It seems
to me that when fixing something, one solves the original problem but
unknowingly cause secondary problems that drag out a problem turning it into
a challenge of your patience and not your skills..

If you have any patience left, find the original cable and try it again. As
a visual check, if you can compare the two cables by pulling back the black
plastic shield over the wires and see how they are wired. It is visually
quite easy to see the above mentioned patterns of wiring. I would do this in
case as you said the original is defective. If you have any more spare DB-9
connectors, check them out til you get the right one.

Other thoughts:

1) Is there two serial ports on the machine. If so, use the other. it is
probably a DB-25 connector, try a DB-9 on it. Oh, the DB-25 can be wired
differently too so don't mix up your DB-25 with others. Mark it or loop a
gentle knot in it to identify it as the one from the system. That's what I
do when playing with old systems.
2) Are the serial ports enabled in the BIOS correctly. Com1 IRQ4 3F8, Com2
IRQ3 2F8?
3) Do you have Norton Utilities DOS 7 or 8 or first Win95 version. There
is NDIAGS that tests serial ports with a loopback plug. A DB-9 loopback
plug is easy to wire up if you have a DB-9 connector. I can send the
pinout. I use Norton with my own loopback plugs to test serial ports and
printer ports.

Old June 29th 03, 03:45 AM
byteryder

Right On

Thanks All

I checked the CMOS settings one more time and found one number
wrong.....

workin like a charm now!

Thanks

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:10:22 GMT, "rcm711" wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old July 5th 03, 11:54 PM
byteryder

Thanks for all the hepl people... Turned out my ports somehow got
configured wrong... Took the advice of one of ya in the NG and
reconfigured my ports, and the kids happinen again!

Now he's got a system again untill I put together a faster system from
parts in the garage for him....... then I can take his old system and
network it into the garage for scooter tips etc.

Expect a lot more dumb questions grin

Thanks Again

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:18:15 GMT, "Some One"
wrote:

snip

did you get a real serial mouse
or did you by a ps/2 mouse and then use an adaptor you already had?

unless the mouse was designed to be used as serial or ps/2 it won't
work

if youir kid yanked on the cord, he could have damaged the mouse
but it's not likely he hurt the port itself
but it would not be a bad idea to open the case and check inside to

be sure
the wiring didn't come off

The Original Mouse was a REAL serial mouse. I couldn't find a real

one
at Futureless Shop, so had to buy a PS2 mouse and adapter to fit the
ps2 mouse and the serial port.

You need to get a serial mouse. Just because they make an adapter
doesn't mean it will work. The box should say "serial" or "PS/2 &
serial".