6800 ultra + 480W power supply. INSUFFICIENT

Old July 28th 04, 08:25 AM
Toby

The manual with my card was a generic Aopen GeForce manual - i.e. not
specific to the 6800U - it only had one basic diagram on the last page
telling me to connect a power cable to ONE of the 4-pin connectors!! When
the problem came up I then connected to both 4-pins (no change), and then
finally solved it by having a dedicated cable from the PSU i.e not
connected to any other peripherals - I worked this out myself - the manual
was crap!!

Even so, I'm still amazed, with a 480W supply, that this was an issue.

Does anyone have any views / expereience with Thermaltake gear??

"RaceFace" wrote in message
news
In the future, might I suggest to RTFM.

Maybe I was lucky, but in my eVGA 6800GT box, there was a 5"x8" card with
about a 20pt font saying "Connecting the GeForce 6800 to a Power Supply",
with 3 color pictures showing how to connect it, and a paragraph detailing
the process. I'm sure something similar was mentioned in your manual.

"Toby" wrote in message ...
I took delivery today of a new Aopen Nvidia 6800 Ultra card. I also
installed my new Thermaltake 480W power supply into my Thermaltake 6000+
Xaser V Daimer case and tranferred my system to the new case. I also
connected the additional power lead to the 6800 ultra

Rest of system; athlon 2800+ 333FSB
512 MB corsair mem 2700
80G Maxtor HD
Abit NF7S Mainboard
Poineer DVD

Nothing overclocked,

On start-up I get a message saying that nvidia system monitor has

detected
that the card is receiving insufficient power!!! and will run at a lower
speed to ensure stability.

This is very frustrating, I would have thought 480W would be more than
enough power - has anyone had similar issues?Could all the fans in the

case
(5 of + PSU fan and CPU fan) cause a drain on the power??
How do I check the function of the PSU? Could it be faulty?
Does anyone own the Aopen version of the card? if so how have you found

it?
I'm going to try downloading the latest drivers to see if that makes a
difference.

TIA

Toby

Old July 28th 04, 08:27 AM
Toby

"PRIVATE1964" wrote in message
This is very frustrating, I would have thought 480W would be more than
enough power - has anyone had similar issues?

As far as I know they lowered the required wattage for the 6800 from 480

down
to 350 minimum. I would think you should have more then enough power also.
Maybe the supply is not putting out 480 watts.

That's what I was thinking - I may get it checked out.

TX

Old July 28th 04, 08:31 AM
Toby

I was never really happy with it, I found it very twitchy with a lot of
games (although, rather amazingly, I went through the whole of Halo with
hardly a problem). There may have been other issues (last PSU may have been
underpowered at 250W). Still each to their own.

"Kill Bill" wrote in message

"Athura" wrote in message

"- Painkiller is running really well (kept on crashing with my old

card
radeon 9700 pro)

Painkiller runs fine for me on my Powercolour 9700pro

Same here, there was one specific scene where it kept crashing but it was

game thing.

Old July 28th 04, 02:48 PM
RaceFace

Ah, my apologies then.

The 6800s use a lot of juice. More importantly, they require a constant,
stable feed of current. If you have anything else on the same set of power
connectors, the current will fluctuate. That's inevitable, even with a good
power supply. That's why it has to be on a separate cable. Now that you
have yours on a separate one, you might even be able to get away with using
only one Molex connector.. but I wouldn't bother. With the power supply you
have, you've got enough grunt to leave the 2nd one connected.

Old July 28th 04, 03:47 PM
JB

WHY ????????????

Going with the x800xt.

If you are having any driver issues, 61.77 was released today.

Of course I'm not having 'driver issues', there have never been
any "issues" with these cards, drivers or otherwise, that
materially affect the usefulness of these cards for end users.
John Lewis is the only person on planet Earth who has knowledge
of "driver issues".

Jeff B

Old July 28th 04, 04:32 PM
Kill Bill

"JB" wrote in message

WHY ????????????

Going with the x800xt.

If you are having any driver issues, 61.77 was released today.

Of course I'm not having 'driver issues', there have never been
any "issues" with these cards, drivers or otherwise, that
materially affect the usefulness of these cards for end users.
John Lewis is the only person on planet Earth who has knowledge
of "driver issues".

Jeff B

Bull****.

burning smell from Ultra 500w XConnect power supply? Phil Tomaskovic General 11 June 12th 05 05:26 PM
Really low 1000-1100 RPM reading on Power Supply Fan Hupjack Homebuilt PC's 6 April 25th 04 09:49 AM
PSU Fans Muttly General 16 February 13th 04 11:42 PM
Won't Power Up after Power Outage Greg Lovern Homebuilt PC's 7 February 8th 04 02:47 PM
will a cheap PSU (antec) kill P4S800 ? nerdb0t Asus Motherboards 7 October 23rd 03 11:37 PM