6800GT vs. X800Pro...with an eye to the future

Old July 24th 04, 08:59 PM
Bean

"JB" wrote in message
news:aZtMc.19970$eM2.17509@attbi_s51...

VIVO
Video In Video Out

The Pro's don't have the Video In

So, since the pro's don't have the video in, and the mod works
only on cards with video in, the mod doesn't work on pro's which is
exactly what I proved with my experiment. Thanks for clearing that up.

Jeff B

There are pros with vivo

Old July 25th 04, 05:03 PM
First of One

I was talking about Q3. The P4 is faster than the AXP in Q3, and in all
Q3-engined games, yet it didn't prevent a lot of gamers from buying AMD
parts. The point is, Doom III is just a single game, and in the words of
John Carmack, "innocuous code changes can 'fall off the fast path' and cause
significant performance impacts, especially on NV30 class cards." It's not
wise to go for a 6800GT over the X800Pro just based on D3 scores, because
it's easy to turn the tables when it comes to other games in the future.

"Andrew MacPherson" wrote in message
ddress_disguised...
Did the P4's vastly superior Quake III engine scores play a part
in your decision?

I know nothing about Q4 apart from the fact it's in the pipeline.

Andrew McP

Old July 25th 04, 05:42 PM
First of One

"Andrew MacPherson" wrote in message
ddress_disguised...
Really? I had a GF3 and GF4200 and the FSAA on both was poor compared to
the V5. I did side by side visual comparisons with 2 PCs and the V5's x4
mode really was much better. Slow, but better.

Have you compared the 2xFSAA modes? Like I said in a previous post, the
GF3's 2x mode uses a rotated-grid, just like the V5. The GF3's 4x mode uses
ordered grid, while the V5 uses rotated-grid on 4x. Rotated-grid looks
better for lines at most angles.

Then there's the additional Quincunx mode which is blurry as hell.

Old August 26th 04, 05:35 PM
Darthy

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:13:39 GMT, JB wrote:

Actually is is known that ATI is in the progress of redoing the Opengl
Dirvers. Betatesters have said this and also people on the Catalyst team.

So what are you saying, Doom3 etc. is about to suddenly run great on ATI
hardware? So the benchmarks run by ID software mean nothing??
LOL! If ATI knew how to fix the problem, they would have done so
long ago. To think otherwise is to set yourself up for a big
dissappointment.

I am a proud owner of the 9800Pro.... but OpenGL has always been the
weakness of the ATI line... which is not a problem when Quake3 is
running 200+ fps... They had access to Doom3 for months...

What I've seen sofar from BETA enhancements is about 5~8fps faster...
which is still NOTHING when the 6800GT is 65fps and the X800Pro is
40fps!! (Important note: unless your CPU is an AMD64 or P4-EE - none
of this MATTERS as your CPU is the bottleneck to the GPU)

Its a problem when the $300 6800 is up there with the $500 ATI XT
version!!

I hope ATI does better on the next round... more competition!

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- Fahrenheit 9/11 - Unless you see it for yourself, don't call it "a bunch of lies"... that would be unAmerican.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist.
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.
Old August 26th 04, 05:46 PM
Andrew

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:35:21 GMT, Darthy
wrote:

Its a problem when the $300 6800 is up there with the $500 ATI XT
version!!

In OpenGL, try taking a more overall view of the games market with the
vast bulk of games being D3D and things look a lot better for ATI
owners.
Old August 26th 04, 07:33 PM
Enormous Genitals

"Darthy" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:13:39 GMT, JB wrote:

I am a proud owner of the 9800Pro.... but OpenGL has always been the
weakness of the ATI line... which is not a problem when Quake3 is
running 200+ fps... They had access to Doom3 for months...

What I've seen sofar from BETA enhancements is about 5~8fps faster...
which is still NOTHING when the 6800GT is 65fps and the X800Pro is
40fps!! (Important note: unless your CPU is an AMD64 or P4-EE - none
of this MATTERS as your CPU is the bottleneck to the GPU)

Its a problem when the $300 6800 is up there with the $500 ATI XT
version!!

I hope ATI does better on the next round... more competition!

I guess it's a good thing for ATI that Doom 3 sucks!

That, and the fact that 98% of the PC games on the market use D3D instead of
OpenGL...

Old August 31st 04, 01:34 AM
Darthy

wrote:

Its a problem when the $300 6800 is up there with the $500 ATI XT
version!!

In OpenGL, try taking a more overall view of the games market with the
vast bulk of games being D3D and things look a lot better for ATI
owners.

While most games are D3D, a good amount of them will continue to use
OPenGL - since afterall many games will be using the Quake3 & Doom3
engines.

- - - - -

Old August 31st 04, 01:34 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:33:07 GMT, "Enormous Genitals"
wrote:

"Darthy" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:13:39 GMT, JB wrote:

I hope ATI does better on the next round... more competition!

I guess it's a good thing for ATI that Doom 3 sucks!

That, and the fact that 98% of the PC games on the market use D3D instead of
OpenGL...

Theres a lot more OpenGL than you think...

Castle Wolfenstien
Battlefield 1942
Quake3
Doom3
Metal of Honor
Star Wars Jedi series...
and more...

With the new HalfLife2 engine, Nvidia & ATI are neck and neck...

- - - - -

Old August 31st 04, 06:58 AM
Andrew

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 00:34:54 GMT, Darthy
wrote:

Theres a lot more OpenGL than you think...

Castle Wolfenstien
Battlefield 1942
Quake3
Doom3
Metal of Honor
Star Wars Jedi series...
and more...

BF1942 is D3D.

With the new HalfLife2 engine, Nvidia & ATI are neck and neck...

Hardly, there are far more D3D games.