Mouse Woes

Old January 20th 04, 08:52 PM
Chris Martin

Default Mouse Woes

Long explanation, TIA.

I have the Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop (Wireless Optical Mouse and
Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard). The issue that I am having is:
Doing stuff fine on the computer, la di da, I don't use the mouse for a
little while, then go to move it.. and it does not respond. Interesting.
So I click. It then works fine.. until i don't move it again. So I flip
the sucker upside down and try and get a little more technical about it. I
set a timer and wait. After 60 seconds of inactivity, the laser dims, then
starts flickering. At this point the cursur will not move until I click.
Ok, some sort of battery saving standby, I assume, but it should be taken
out of standby from movement as well as from a click. (I've installed the
latest intellipoint and intellitype software from windows). Microsofts
knowledgebase has an article that kind of describes this issue... but it's
solution is wiping my mouse from registry and reinstalling. Honestly I hate
messing with my registry when I don't have to, especially when I don't know
if that is the actual issue. Any other ideas? Thanks again for reading.

~Chris Martin

Old January 22nd 04, 07:53 AM
*Vanguard*

"Chris Martin" said in
t:
[...]

My Logitech cordless went dead (after I tossed it across the room in a fit
during gaming). So I trialed several other cordless mice to see if any were
better. I tried the IBM cordless. Didn't like it because it goes into
sleep mode mode too quickly. The Logitech doesn't go to sleep until about a
minute after no movement, and it comes out of sleep much quicker because it
polls (blinks) much more often while sleeping (i.e., it peeks its eyelid
open more often to see if it is being moved). There is no inertial sensors
in the mice to detect when to wake up out of low-power mode to prolong
battery life. How often then peek to check for movement dictates how
quickly they will come out of sleep mode. IBM was slowest. Microsoft's was
faster. Logitech's was fastest. However, the more it peeks the more juice
it uses from the battery so battery life for the Logitech is shorter.
That's why I bought 2 sets of rechargeable NimH batteries so one is always
ready when the inuse set gets too low on juice.

I also found the IBM and Microsoft more jerky in movement than the Logitech,
especially in games. I tried editing the mouse properties to speed up the
sample or poll rate but that didn't help much. In fact, with the IBM (and
to a lesser degree the Microsoft) cordless mouse, the cursor would actually
stall or even move in the opposite direction with extreme fast whips of the
mouse across the desk. Although you can up the sample rate for the mouse
driver, I don't think this affects the hardware poll rate between the mouse
and the receiver unit.

When I had to replace my cordless mouse, the reason I looked at the IBM and
Microsoft was that they are lighter in weight than the Logitech. My pinkie
gets tired squeezing the mouse to push it around or when lifting it. I've
tried several trackballs (I like them better than mice). I somewhat like
the Kensington Expert Mouse because of its large ball that rolls freely on
steel rollers with ball bearings (the ball can be replaced with a snooker
ball if the kids take the original) but I never quite liked the buttons at
the side of the ball instead of slightly ahead where my fingers would be,
and I didn't like the reverse tilt that cocked my wrist upward. But it was
the most durable and smooth trackball I've ever had. Their other trackballs
suck: too much resistance, the ball won't keep spinning when you flick it,
and they don't feel right. I eventually went to a mouse only because I
could get cordless mice; otherwise, I'd still be using a trackball (although
the Expert Mouse is pricey). With the trackball, I wasn't moving it all
over the desk and so my pinkie wouldn't tire like when squeezing a mouse to
move it around or lift it. The IBM was lighter so I tried it first. Too
jerky in games, stalled or reversed direction when snapping the mouse
quickly but only occurred in one direction (don't recall which), and kept
going to sleep way too soon and took too long to wake up. Microsoft was a
bit heavier but still lighter than the Logitech, so I tried it next but it
went to sleep too soon and took too long to wake up (shorter than the IBM
but longer than Logitech) and would sometimes stall or jerk when rapidly
slid across the desk. So I ended up going back to the Logitech which was
the heaviest of the three.

So while the Logitech doesn't last as long before the batteries get too low
for reliable performance or when it goes completely dead, I still find it a
better mouse than IBM's cordless mouse and Microsoft's blue cordless mouse.
Batteries don't last as long in the Logitech and it is heavier than the
others but it does move smooth, doesn't go to sleep as soon, comes out of
sleep quicker, and the battery cover is much easier to remove and replace
than the others (especially important since the batteries have to be
replaced after 15 to 22 days).

Although these use RF instead of infrared to communicate between mouse and
receiver unit, you still should not have anything between them that will
shield the signal, like the monitor or system case. Also, after replacing
the batteries, be sure to hit the reset button on the bottom of the mouse
and the reset button on the receiver to make sure they are in sync.
Otherwise, when not synched, I've seen jerky movement of the mouse cursor or
none at all.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old January 22nd 04, 09:12 PM
Chris Martin

It actually did turn out to be the batteries. The old batteries were going
low on juice, so I replaced them with practically fresh batteries (took them
out of my digital camera which told me they had full charge still), and put
them into my mouse. The mouse didn't like them. SO after calling microsoft
tech support, trying the mouse on multiple computers, etc. etc., I changed
the batteries back to the old one and it worked again. Peachy. So I put
the new ones back in and then they wanted to work.. Maybe they weren't set
right.

On another note, I've seen some insane gaming on trackballs, but I could
never get used to them myself, I have a few of them, thinking about thowing
one of them on a computer and attempting to get used to it.

Thanks for the response,
~Chris

Old January 24th 04, 07:03 AM
*Vanguard*

"Chris Martin" said in
t:

"*Vanguard*" wrote in message
[...]

Because batteries do not last as long in Logitech cordless devices as they
do in other cordless brands (because Logitech polls more often to check when
to come out of sleep), you might consider buying another set of NimH
batteries and a charger to charge them up and have ready when the current
ones get drained.

A trick is to NOT display Logitech's mouse tray icon. It has the behavior
that when the batteries go low that it will popup an alert window. But if
this popup is hidden, doesn't appear, or you close it but forget about it,
the other behavior is that their mouse software will make their tray icon
reappear. It gives you a hint that you need to check the mouse and its
battery level. Once you exchange the batteries for the already charged
pair, check the option to hide the mouse tray icon again. Then if you see
the mouse tray icon later, it's time to replace the batteries again.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***