How do you turn off a core?

Old March 28th 08, 08:29 PM
Richlife Richlife is offline
Junior Member

Default How do you turn off a core?

Alright I have a Q6600 intel quad core at 2.4 Ghz. I want to play counter strike: source, hl2 death match, TF2, and DOD, but Steam is not a multi-core system...yet. So i was wondering how can i turn off 2 cores so i can play Steam games. When ever i play counter strike:source it lets me play for a good 10-15 mins.then it frezzes and quits the games. One of my friends told me that i can download a program that can disable my cores for stweam games games, but i can't seem to find it. Anyone have any idea on what to do?

Thanks
Old March 29th 08, 11:57 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Ian D

--
Richlife

If you're running XP, you can add /numproc=n to the end of
the boot.ini OS boot line, n being the number of cores you want
operational. You could also create a multiple boot with a choice
for each quantity of cores you want to run.