What printer brands?

Old January 4th 16, 08:36 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
default[_3_]

Default What printer brands?

Wow, not much activity here, but I'll try this anyway. (is there a better
forum these days?)
Our 6 yo Workforce 610 is showing signs of old age. I never did like it
much, but it has mostly been a good printer for the home. I was really
angry when I found out that if any one of the carts is empty, then
NOTHING works, not faxing or scanning or monocolor printing. I swore
never to buy Epson again. But I wonder if there's a brand that doesn't
have that behavior? And is reliable? We need the scanner, preferably two-
sided. FAX is nice although our need for that is almost zero lately.
Preferably ink that doesn't cost so much. Am I asking for too much?
TIA for any suggestions (including where else to look).
Old January 4th 16, 12:06 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ed Pawlowski

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 07:36:15 GMT, default
wrote:

Wow, not much activity here, but I'll try this anyway. (is there a better
forum these days?)
Our 6 yo Workforce 610 is showing signs of old age. I never did like it
much, but it has mostly been a good printer for the home. I was really
angry when I found out that if any one of the carts is empty, then
NOTHING works, not faxing or scanning or monocolor printing. I swore
never to buy Epson again. But I wonder if there's a brand that doesn't
have that behavior? And is reliable? We need the scanner, preferably two-
sided. FAX is nice although our need for that is almost zero lately.
Preferably ink that doesn't cost so much. Am I asking for too much?
TIA for any suggestions (including where else to look).

Do you need color? How much printing do you do?
I've found that HP has been a solid performer no matter the
model/category. If you use little color, consider a laser for the
black printing and a separate color setup.
Old January 4th 16, 05:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
sctvguy1

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 07:36:15 +0000, default wrote:

Wow, not much activity here, but I'll try this anyway. (is there a
better forum these days?)
Our 6 yo Workforce 610 is showing signs of old age. I never did like it
much, but it has mostly been a good printer for the home. I was really
angry when I found out that if any one of the carts is empty, then
NOTHING works, not faxing or scanning or monocolor printing. I swore
never to buy Epson again. But I wonder if there's a brand that doesn't
have that behavior? And is reliable? We need the scanner, preferably
two-
sided. FAX is nice although our need for that is almost zero lately.
Preferably ink that doesn't cost so much. Am I asking for too much?
TIA for any suggestions (including where else to look).

Always have had Brother laser printers. They work with anything, and the
wireless models are really sweet.
Old January 4th 16, 06:14 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
sctvguy1 wrote:

[...]

Many people here have praised Brother printers over the years. When my
ancient Xerox copier died recently, I bought a Brother MFC-L8850CDW
all-in-one Laser machine.

It makes good scans and black-and-white copies, but for color copies or
prints, not so good! I can use it to scan a color photo and print it on
an HP Laser printer, and the image is great. Print the same scan to the
Brother, and contrast is increased. Color prints are just not as good
as on the HP.

Except for that, the machine is impressive. It can do double-sided
color copies, and anything else you might want an all-in-one machine to
do including printing from an iPhone or iPad. But it was not cheap!

Fred
Old January 4th 16, 06:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Stuart[_3_]

In article ,
default wrote:
Preferably ink that doesn't cost so much. Am I asking for too much?
TIA for any suggestions (including where else to look)

I've been quite happy with our WF-7515 and if you do a lot of printing CIS
is available:

http://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/ciss...series/dye-ink

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Old January 5th 16, 08:57 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
default[_3_]

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 07:36:15 +0000, default wrote:

TIA for any suggestions (including where else to look).

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'm impressed with all the responses,
as it looks like newsgroups are becoming dinosaurs. So bottom line is the
well-known brands all have fans. Good to know. No one commented on my
complaint about my AIO being completely dead for lack of 4 good
cartridges. I still would like to know if some brands don't have that
characteristic.

We don't do much color printing, but we need color available. And I'm not
inclined to have two devices because of limited space.

Six years ago I avoided HP because I'd read some horror stories about
their customer services. I will reconsider. We also looked at Brother. We
even brought one home, but then returned it because the paper loading was
so inconvenient and the tray seemed awfully complicated and flimsy. The
FAX capability was extremely impressive compared to the Epson, but in
reality it was way beyond our needs.

I will consider a laser. Even though we don't do much color, I would like
to be able to print the occasional photo and Christmas letter. One thing
I wonder about is the warm-up time, which Ive heard is a problem with
lasers. Could it be a serious convenience issue?

Old January 5th 16, 09:04 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
default[_3_]

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 17:30:19 +0000, Stuart wrote:

In article ,
default wrote:
Preferably ink that doesn't cost so much. Am I asking for too much?
TIA for any suggestions (including where else to look)

I've been quite happy with our WF-7515 and if you do a lot of printing
CIS is available:

http://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/ciss...series/dye-ink

I'd never do enough printing to justify one of those, but I'm really awed!
Old January 5th 16, 02:08 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bill (Adopt)

In article ,
default wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 07:36:15 +0000, default wrote:

TIA for any suggestions (including where else to look).

[..]
We don't do much color printing, but we need color available. And I'm not
inclined to have two devices because of limited space.

Six years ago I avoided HP because I'd read some horror stories about
their customer services. I will reconsider. We also looked at Brother. We
even brought one home, but then returned it because the paper loading was
so inconvenient and the tray seemed awfully complicated and flimsy. The
FAX capability was extremely impressive compared to the Epson, but in
reality it was way beyond our needs.

I will consider a laser. Even though we don't do much color, I would like
to be able to print the occasional photo and Christmas letter. One thing
I wonder about is the warm-up time, which Ive heard is a problem with
lasers. Could it be a serious convenience issue?

The HP Laser here, (a twin-side duplex colour
printer Pro 400 series M451dn), doesn't take
anytime at all to warm up ..it's left 'on' the
whole time in a sort of sleep/immediate wake
mode, as recommended by HP. Uses a minimum of
power.

Incidentally, it also prints duplex automatically
- no need to re-stack and re-feed paper as in some
other or earlier duplex printers.

Naturally, being HP, it wakes itself up every
now and then, snorts, chunters to itself, smacks
its lips and then dozes back off again. Does this
arrangement work? Simply, yes!

...as it has for the last couple of years or so -
and for fifteen years before that with a 'baby'
HP LaserJet 5L.

Cartridges are cheap(er/ish), even very cheap,
providing they are from or through a quality/trusted
aftermarket supplier.

As it is a duplex printer, black print cartridges
seem to last for around 4000+ to 4400 'sides',
with colour coming in at a respectable 2600+ sides
- or better.

Print quality is visually 'high' ..ie well defined
with an apparently accurate colour-palette - but this,
of course, will depend on how exacting your needs or
standards are.

I would not describe the printouts as exactly a
photographic studios' top quality exhibition standard
- but perfectly ok for normal human everyday use.

Being laser prints the cost per print is usually
significantly a lot less than inkjet cartridge
printing.

Print speed for the M451dn is around 20ppm bw/12ppm
colour - although by now it may have have been
superseded by a newer, faster and cheaper (for HP!)
version.

Checkout Amazon.*.*'s own Marketplace 'deals': mine
came with the printer + four colour cartridges thrown
in for free ..or put another way, for the cost of the
four colour carts with the printer thrown in for free!

Either way, more expensive than a colour inkjet but,
as lasers go, very, very cheap.

Worked straight out of the box - (easily worked out
how to switch on duplex printing from the printer
itself - it still prints a single side if that's all
there is to print); that's been it for the last two
or more years of continual use..

...remembering never to switch it 'off', as it happily
chunters to and occasionally cleans, recalibrates, or
resets itself ..and, of course, it's always immediately
available when one hits the print key - from any
networked/wirelessly connected machine.

Bit like having a pet cat ..and yes, it can even purr..

Hope helps.. )

Bill ZFC

--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=- http://www.billsimpson.com/
Domain Host Orpheus Internet -=- http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
Old January 5th 16, 05:41 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
sctvguy1

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 12:14:35 -0500, Fred McKenzie wrote:

Many people here have praised Brother printers over the years. When my
ancient Xerox copier died recently, I bought a Brother MFC-L8850CDW
all-in-one Laser machine.

It makes good scans and black-and-white copies, but for color copies or
prints, not so good! I can use it to scan a color photo and print it on
an HP Laser printer, and the image is great. Print the same scan to the
Brother, and contrast is increased. Color prints are just not as good
as on the HP.

Except for that, the machine is impressive. It can do double-sided
color copies, and anything else you might want an all-in-one machine to
do including printing from an iPhone or iPad. But it was not cheap!

Fred

I do not do any color printing. B&W suits all of our needs, that is why
we have had Brother laser printers.
Old January 7th 16, 04:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ed Pawlowski

On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 07:57:51 GMT, default
wrote:

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'm impressed with all the responses,
as it looks like newsgroups are becoming dinosaurs. So bottom line is the
well-known brands all have fans. Good to know. No one commented on my
complaint about my AIO being completely dead for lack of 4 good
cartridges. I still would like to know if some brands don't have that
characteristic.

HP uses a single color cartridge. AFAIK it will continue to print
black if one color goes out and will continue to print color but will
not look right if one color is out.

Six years ago I avoided HP because I'd read some horror stories about
their customer services. I will reconsider.

Can't help you there. I've personally owned 5 HP printers over the
last 25 or so years and have 6 of them at work. Never had reason to
ever call customer service.

One of the laser printers that gets the heaviest use did break down
after about 6 years. Called a local printer service company and they
guy was at our place than same morning and had us up and running in 20
minutes.