is new memory incompatible? Why?

Old December 8th 18, 03:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default is new memory incompatible? Why?

Hi,

I've acquired 2x4GB new memory from Crucial as I found it to be compatible with my PC(ASUS CM6850) on crucial.com.

It suggested `DDR3L-1600 UDIMM` and that is what I got (results slightly changed but still align: https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compa...#MEMORYFilters)

Now, I popped them into the two empty banks in my PC, turned it on, the fans spun up but both screens stayed black, I removed one bank, repeated the power up procedure but got the same result. I then removed both new banks and now it powered up again properly as it's supposed to.

Does this mean the memory I got is for some reason incompatible with my system?
Why?
Old December 8th 18, 03:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 6:01:08 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Hi,

I've acquired 2x4GB new memory from Crucial as I found it to be compatible with my PC(ASUS CM6850) on crucial.com.

It suggested `DDR3L-1600 UDIMM` and that is what I got (results slightly changed but still align: https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compa...#MEMORYFilters)

Now, I popped them into the two empty banks in my PC, turned it on, the fans spun up but both screens stayed black, I removed one bank, repeated the power up procedure but got the same result. I then removed both new banks and now it powered up again properly as it's supposed to.

Does this mean the memory I got is for some reason incompatible with my system?
Why?

Here's some images:
The label on my PC: http://gdurl.com/IE9y
The existing RAM on the main board: http://gdurl.com/vHcm
My new memory that I wanted to add: http://gdurl.com/rOee
Old December 8th 18, 04:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

The label on my PC: http://gdurl.com/qN7c
Old December 8th 18, 05:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
mike

On 12/7/2018 7:28 PM, wrote:
[...]

I think your problem is that you have PC3 and PC3L memory.
The Samsung is likely 1.5V, the Crucial is 1.35V
As I understand it, the low voltage memory is supposed to be
backward compatible, but isn't always. Never could tell whether
the PC3L was 1.5V tolerant or whether the motherboard could tell
and reduce the voltage as required.

I have the same problem with a laptop.
My PC3L is labeled for Apple computers, so that may be a different/another
issue as well.
Old December 8th 18, 06:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
[...]

There's a couple reasons it might not work.

1) You're mixing 1.35V with 1.5V RAM.

Try just the new modules inserted in the motherboard by themselves.

Sandy Bridge will likely run them at 1.5V anyway, but
the BIOS matching code might not like to find two different
voltage values listed.

2) You got a DIMM with 8 chips on one side and no chips on
the other side. These single-rank 5GB DDR3 DIMMS *could* constitute
high-density RAM for that platform. There may be insufficient
address bits for it to work.

What should happen in that case, is the amount of RAM detected
might end up wrong. The BIOS will always figure out the correct
amount, by using peek and poke probing. The BIOS doesn't rely
totally on the SPD chip on the DIMM for this info.

I have DDR3 8GB DIMMs, and there would be 4GB of chips on
either side. Something like that, might not work on a Sandy
Bridge properly. Maybe only 4GB are detected or something.

Anyway, try the DIMMs by themselves, before you send them back
and buy something else.

Paul
Old December 8th 18, 08:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
[...]

Server motherboards could definitely run that stuff
at the stated 1.35V. That's why that memory was invented,
to save power on servers.

There are also a few desktop motherboards, with
programmable VDimm for that purpose.

But some older kit, just runs it at 1.5V, and the
memory was supposed to be designed to tolerate both
conditions.

*******

There's two ways they could have policed the voltage.

1) The value stored in the SPD on the DIMM.
They could have defined a way to store the value electronically,
and the BIOS evaluates the SPD contents, before
"turning on" the DIMMs. The memory doesn't start
right away. The BIOS uses some register-only code
as part of the bring-up process. One of the last
things the BIOS does, is do the special CAS value
programming cycle, before the memory starts accepting
transactions.

2) You can use the slots sawed in the DIMM connector,
to prevent a 1.35V stick from going into a
1.5V motherboard. But I don't get the impression
they made any attempt to do it that way. AFAIK
they're both the same edge card pattern. Maybe you
could research that by looking at some pictures
of 1.35V and 1.5V products and compare the connector.

You can dump the contents of the SPD using CPUZ results
file. But decoding the values, deciding whether a voltage
field says 1.35V or 1.5V, that takes a JEDEC document
to do the decoding. And then I have to remember what
my JEDEC password is :-) Or whether I even have one :-)

Paul
Old December 8th 18, 11:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
wasbit[_4_]

wrote in message
Hi,

I've acquired 2x4GB new memory from Crucial as I found it to be compatible
with my PC(ASUS CM6850) on crucial.com.

It suggested `DDR3L-1600 UDIMM` and that is what I got (results slightly
changed but still align:
https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compa...#MEMORYFilters)

Now, I popped them into the two empty banks in my PC, turned it on, the
fans spun up but both screens stayed black, I removed one bank, repeated
the power up procedure but got the same result. I then removed both new
banks and now it powered up again properly as it's supposed to.

Does this mean the memory I got is for some reason incompatible with my
system?
Why?

What does "results slightly changed but still align" mean?
If you opted for different memory than that which Crucial said was
compatible, then there's your answer.

I always use the Crucial System Scanner
-
https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/system...pgrade-scanner

--
Regards
wasbit

Old December 9th 18, 12:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ron Eggler

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 2:51:49 AM UTC-8, wasbit wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Thanks a lot guys! I got them running now, the situation:

The mother board has 4 slots, two are colored blue & the other two black (I'll want to find out why that is), call them 0 - 3 (0 being the one closest to the CPU)
0 black was occupied initially with a SAMSUNG bank
1 blue was empty
2 black was occupied initially with a SAMSUNG bank
3 blue was empty
My initial test was to insert the new banks int the empty blue slots which did nto work as expected.
As suggested, I removed them and replaced them with the new banks (SAMSUNG removed, Crucial inserted at their space) booted up fine.

I re-inserted SAMSUNG but now into slot 0 & 1 which worked fine.
I added a Crucial into slot 2 which worked fine too, I added the second Crucial in slot 3, booted up and was happy! I got a;ll my memory in that board now it works!
banks 0&1 SAMSUNG
banks 2&3 Crucial

love it!
Old December 9th 18, 03:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Ron Eggler wrote:

[...]

Science :-)

Now, who said the random behavior of BIOS designs,
wouldn't come in handy one day.

One for the books.

Paul
Old December 9th 18, 07:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Boris wrote:

This is definitely weird. Do you have the owner's manual? If so, what
does it say about adding memory, if anything?

The 1.35V versus 1.5V issue isn't normally addressed in
a motherboard manual. "You, the system builder" are
"supposed to know this stuff". Etc.

That's how they treat you.

The memory upgrade section of the manual is usually
pretty spartan, and copies the "Intel comments" about
population. But doesn't always address the consequences
of doing things a particular way. For example,
mixing "overclocker memory" and "server memory"
in the same machine, may make it hard to adjust
Vdimm to a functional value. The better you match
the "class" of the components, the less hair you'll
lose while installing, tuning, and testing them.

And the reason this happens, is "overclocker memory"
is outside the JEDEC spec. If every component in the
PC followed JEDEC, there'd be no hair loss. It's
probably because of JEDEC, that 1.35V memory *has to*
work in 1.5V slots.

*******

After the drama of getting the machine to start,
now begins the testing. This isn't the only test
you can run, but it's intended to weed out duds
in the retailer returns interval (15 day return).

(Downloads 50% down the page)

http://www.memtest.org/

Paul