A7N8X-Deluxe - No Post

Old November 16th 03, 09:07 PM
maxlynn

Default A7N8X-Deluxe - No Post

I just bought an A7N8X-Deluxe. In the process of switching the CPU into it
from another board, I stupidly reversed the fan and ruined the CPU.
However, I am very afraid that I may also have damaged the board, because I
get no beep when power is applied. As I understand it, there should also be
a voice message, but I get no sound either. Is this to be expected with a
bad CPU, or have I ruined two pieces of hardware??

Old November 17th 03, 02:37 PM
mrdancer

"maxlynn" wrote in message
I just bought an A7N8X-Deluxe. In the process of switching the CPU into

it
from another board, I stupidly reversed the fan and ruined the CPU.
However, I am very afraid that I may also have damaged the board, because

get no beep when power is applied. As I understand it, there should also

be
a voice message, but I get no sound either. Is this to be expected with a
bad CPU, or have I ruined two pieces of hardware??

Unplug the cord from the computer, swap the CMOS jumper, pull the CMOS
battery for 5-10 seconds, then reverse procedure. With a good CPU and HSF,
the system should boot. For the voice message, you will need to have
speakers connected to the sound output (it won't work thru the cheesy
onboard speaker).
HTH

Old November 17th 03, 06:35 PM
maxlynn

"mrdancer" wrote in message
"maxlynn" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sorry, but I didn't metion that I had already tried to clear CMOS, with
no luck. What I am trying to determine, if someone knows, is if the CPU is
known to be bad, should there be any "beep" (s) when power is applied? I
don't have immediate acces to a known good CPU. That may be the only way I
can tell the status of the board.

Old November 17th 03, 07:13 PM
markjen

What I am trying to determine, if someone knows, is if the CPU is
known to be bad, should there be any "beep" (s) when power is applied?

I could be wrong, but I recall that the only thing the computer did is say
"no CPU" when it booted without a CPU - I don't recall it beeping. I'd
remove the CPU and put a speaker on the audio outputs.

- Mark

Old November 22nd 03, 06:41 PM
Paul WH

"maxlynn" wrote in message
I just bought an A7N8X-Deluxe. In the process of switching the CPU into

it
from another board, I stupidly reversed the fan and ruined the CPU.
However, I am very afraid that I may also have damaged the board, because

get no beep when power is applied. As I understand it, there should also

be
a voice message, but I get no sound either. Is this to be expected with a
bad CPU, or have I ruined two pieces of hardware??

HMMM....People sometimes reverse their fans on purpose.....shouldn't kill
your CPU.

Old November 23rd 03, 12:27 AM
maxlynn

"Paul WH" wrote in message

"maxlynn" wrote in message
I just bought an A7N8X-Deluxe. In the process of switching the CPU into

it
from another board, I stupidly reversed the fan and ruined the CPU.
However, I am very afraid that I may also have damaged the board,

because
get no beep when power is applied. As I understand it, there should

also
be
a voice message, but I get no sound either. Is this to be expected with

bad CPU, or have I ruined two pieces of hardware??

HMMM....People sometimes reverse their fans on purpose.....shouldn't kill
your CPU.

You may be thinking that I electrically reversed my fan - I wasn't clear - I
mechanically reversed the fan. Apparently it cracked the die??

Old November 30th 03, 12:17 PM
frans

I had the same problem! no boot at al and different messages from the
speaker; no cpu or no memory.
Problem was that the fans connected to the motherboard weren"t rotating at
the right speed.
Wrote a ail to asus and this is the answer:
Dear Customer :
Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is jacky ma , and I would be assisting you today.
our bios will decide the cpu fan is bad when it 's speed is less than
2600rpm.
beacuse the chassis fan and power fan 's power is same managed in bios,and
that you adjust the speed on fan via power supply.
so ,they will at the same time change.

I adjusted the fans to 2200 rpm and then my A7N8X-deluxe2.0 starts up!