Wireless Network Upgrade

Old January 23rd 04, 10:32 PM
Smith

Default Wireless Network Upgrade

I have cables running in the house right now on a LinkSys router. I'm out
of ports and need to add just one more computer so I was assuming a new
router was in need. I don't know much about networks except the basics
though, so have some questions about the stuff I was looking through today.

I read some brief stuff on "infrastructure wlans" which is using a wire
network with wireless technology through just one of the ports? So, can I
keep 3 of the computers on the "wires" and then use the last port for
"wireless" and use that for my other 2 computers? Could the signal be
shared through one access point? Hell, if anyone could explain this whole
"infrastructure wlan" concept to me I'd appriciate it...fixing computers I'm
good, but I'm horrible with networking.

Also, what are the security/interfearence issues with wlans? Way back when
I bought my wired router wireless was brand new so I didn't go with it. I
mean is the microwave in the kitchen and the wireless phones going to mess
up my singnal?

Thanks in advance,

Smith

Old January 24th 04, 05:05 PM
Graham

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:32:31 -0500, "Smith"
wrote:

[...]

I'm running a Netgear wireless router with 2 computers connected
direct to it by cables and one running on the wireless side of it.
Given the cost difference between the various bits of kit, I'd be
inclined to go buy an all in one box. Setup really is a breeze. Only
point I would make is don't take too much notice of the claims that
108Mbps is possible by wireless. It might be in perfect conditions but
in my imperfect house 20" thick walls, fireplaces in the way etc etc
I struggle at times to even get 54Mbps. Not that I mind too much as it
is fast enough for what I wanted it for and it was bought to save
having to run yet more cables through the house.
Security is really what you make it and also location probably
matters.
I don't broadcast the SSID (wireless network name) and I can't see
someone hanging around for hours outside just to get some info from a
couple of house computers. I use encryption at 128bit level. All of
which is probably over the top but having seen the result of people
gaining access through the back door to a computer is justified. I
like the fact that its also a firewall as well. (I was going to run a
seperate computer to act as a firewall etc but seeing how the costs of
routers have come down it just didn't make sense). Change the access
password though as soon as possible. Again setup is dead easy. Open a
web browser, log into the router and everything you need to set it up
is all there. In fact, bearing in mind the pain I had setting up my
original network (is it going to work, fingers crossed syndrome) this
time around really was a piece of cake. I haven't noticed any
interference problems either.

regards

Graham
Old January 24th 04, 06:34 PM
kony

wrote:

[...]

Buy a wireless router, and connect your existing router to it as
switch if the new router lacks sufficient ports for the wired
connections.

Among the inexpensive lower-end units, which should be enough to suit
your purposes, avoid Belkin, better to get a Linksys or D-Link,
Netgear or...

Old January 24th 04, 08:13 PM
Smith

Yeah it would be LinkSys, same brand I have for my wired network. I really
didn't want to stop using the router I have, 3 of the computers are close
enough to run cables with no trouble so it would be a waste to completely
stop using it because of one computer across the house. Thanks.

Smith

news

Old January 24th 04, 10:02 PM
kony

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:13:55 -0500, "Smith"
wrote:

Yeah it would be LinkSys, same brand I have for my wired network. I really
didn't want to stop using the router I have, 3 of the computers are close
enough to run cables with no trouble so it would be a waste to completely
stop using it because of one computer across the house. Thanks.

Smith

How is it a waste? You need another piece of equipment anyway, and
these days a wireless router is as cheap or cheaper than lesser
function devices. The wireless routers have all the functions of your
present router plus wireless support, it's exactly what you need.
Old January 24th 04, 10:27 PM
Smith

I'm just saying that I paid for that router a few years ago and it's going
to suck having to buy a new router (which I'm going to) and just toss the
old one aside like that (well unless I need to hook it to the new one). All
for one damn computer too, almost makes me want to climb in the attic with a
cable, but not quite