Gigabyte SYS_FAN and PWR_FAN connections Help

Old March 19th 06, 10:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt

Default Gigabyte SYS_FAN and PWR_FAN connections Help

Hi I'm having troubles understanding what the SYS_FAN and PWR_FAN
connections are for and what to plug into them as ive recently
purchased the Gigabyte K8N-Pro SLI motherboard along with a coolmaster
centrium 5 case and a Seasonic S12 430w power supply.

My case fans use the 4pin HD connections so I have ruled these out
being used and i have noticed i have one 3pin connection from my power
supply which im guessing could be for the SYS_FAN or the PWR_FAN, and
wondering which one it should be plugged into, and its role. Ive tried
both and i have noticed anything.

Last of all can i control the speed of my case fans cpu with the Easy
Tune utilty or dose AMD CPUS control the speed. Ive notcied i can
change the settings in Easy Tune.

Last of is it safe to have my case fans switched off as im trying to
make my system silent.

Thanks

Old March 19th 06, 02:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi I'm having troubles understanding what the SYS_FAN and PWR_FAN
connections are for and what to plug into them as ive recently
purchased the Gigabyte K8N-Pro SLI motherboard along with a coolmaster
centrium 5 case and a Seasonic S12 430w power supply.

My case fans use the 4pin HD connections so I have ruled these out
being used and i have noticed i have one 3pin connection from my power
supply which im guessing could be for the SYS_FAN or the PWR_FAN, and
wondering which one it should be plugged into, and its role. Ive tried
both and i have noticed anything.

Last of all can i control the speed of my case fans cpu with the Easy
Tune utilty or dose AMD CPUS control the speed. Ive notcied i can
change the settings in Easy Tune.

The SYS_FAN and PWR_FAN connectors on the motherboard have +V, 0V and a
"sense" line for monitoring fan speed; the same as the CPU fan connector.
The "Easy Tune utility" likely allows you to adjust the voltage on the +V
pin of each connector, which affects the fan speed. So, if you want to
control the speed of the case fans with this software, the fans must be
connected to the SYS_FAN and/or PWR_FAN connectors.

The 3-pin connector from the PSU probably only has two pins connected, 0V
and "sense", and can be connected to either the SYS_FAN or PWR_FAN connector
to enable the PSU fan RPM to be monitored.

The CPU, by itself, does not control any fan speeds.

Last of is it safe to have my case fans switched off as im trying to
make my system silent.

It depends; all cases are different.

A fan below the PSU usually has a substantial effect on temperatures and
removing it might actually make the system louder(!) because the CPU and PSU
fans must shift more air to stay sufficiently cool. This is particularly
true if the case fan is large and runs slowly.

A fan at the bottom front of the case does not usually have so much effect
on temperatures, but may have more effect on noise level. Such a fan can
(depending on the case and other factors) be useful for ensuring cool air to
hard drives, and for reducing dust build-up.

Alex