PSU Experiences

Old December 16th 05, 02:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Default PSU Experiences

Hi everyone,
would like any input re' brands of quality PSU's and your own experiences:
good or otherwise.
Just opted for a Q-Tec 500 Watt Low Noise Big Fan PUS.
Some of the forums are united in stating that they are...well...crap and
could cause problems for my system down the road.
Many thanks.
chrisb

Old December 16th 05, 06:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 02:19:28 +0000, Chris Beckett wrote:

would like any input re' brands of quality PSU's and your own experiences:
good or otherwise.
Just opted for a Q-Tec 500 Watt Low Noise Big Fan PUS. Some of the forums
are united in stating that they are...well...crap and could cause problems
for my system down the road. Many thanks.
chrisb

I've never concerned myself with name brand when it comes to PSU's The one
thing I do is check the specs on the ones I buy. And when you buy cheap
you can always buy something rated far higher than what you really need.
The PSU in this ssytem is a 600W that cost $24 almost 2 years ago. You can
get comparable ones today for under $20. This system runs 24/7, come rain,
su, storm, flood, or tornado, and has been doing so since March of 2004.
I'm in the process of turn it into a 4 HD tuner MythTV box, where I
expect it to run another 3-7 years with the same PSU. As long as you keep
the fan running on decent chep PSU, it should last as long as one that
cost 5 times as much. That's been my experience with hundreds of them.

Old December 16th 05, 08:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

"Chris Beckett" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
would like any input re' brands of quality PSU's and your own experiences:
good or otherwise.
Just opted for a Q-Tec 500 Watt Low Noise Big Fan PUS.
Some of the forums are united in stating that they are...well...crap and
could cause problems for my system down the road.
Many thanks.
chrisb

I've had bad luck with cheap, unknown name, '500-600w' power supplies. I
built a new system from newegg once, bought a 'nice' gold, led fan, 500w
power supply, and it turned out it was crap. random lockups, and errors. I
ended up replacing it with what was avalible locally, a 300w antec, and all
was cured.

I currently have an Antec True Power 550 and a Tagon 480 in my systems and
they are fine. If your building a 'big' system go with a big, tested and
reviewed power supply. Even if your building a simple system, I'd go with
the cheaper supplys from a good company(Antec, PC Power & Cooling, Tagon)

www.tomshardware.com has a couple of power supply head-to-head tests that
show some good ones also.

Old December 16th 05, 09:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Chris Beckett wrote:
Hi everyone,
would like any input re' brands of quality PSU's and your own
experiences: good or otherwise.
Just opted for a Q-Tec 500 Watt Low Noise Big Fan PUS.
Some of the forums are united in stating that they are...well...crap
and could cause problems for my system down the road.
Many thanks.
chrisb

All I can tell you is that two high-end Enermaxes and my current OCZ 520-PS
have been awesome.
The three top of the range Antecs I had were all APPALLING - each crapping
out after just a month.
Got my money back, in the end.

Old December 16th 05, 11:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Chris Beckett skrev:
Hi everyone,
would like any input re' brands of quality PSU's and your own experiences:
good or otherwise.
Just opted for a Q-Tec 500 Watt Low Noise Big Fan PUS.
Some of the forums are united in stating that they are...well...crap and
could cause problems for my system down the road.
Many thanks.
chrisb

hi

seasonic s12 series! very silent and very high effency 80% active pfc.

coco
Old December 16th 05, 01:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

I'm using a 420 watt thermaltake in my lanfire case and I'm running a
XP2600, ATI AIW 9600XT, sound card, 4 fans and 2 in the PSU( for 6 total), 2
HDs, Pioneer DVD player and Plextor Dvd writer. I have had no problems with
this PSU. When I upgrade to a dual core and sata II standard, I'm hoping
that the thermaltake 680 watt will have everything I need but hopefully
someone whos already there will give us their insight to whats working and
whats not. Although I do a lot of reading, I've yet to hear of any power
supply that has as many sata connections as the A8N-SLI Deluxe or Premium
boards from Asus.

Old December 16th 05, 01:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

pc power& cooling has this config

MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE PSU: TURBO-COOLŽ 850 SSI
a.. 850W Continuous (950W Peak) @ 50°C
b.. Fits Std. ATX Cases (20" min. depth)
c.. +12VDC Rails Total 54A (60A Peak)
d.. High Efficiency (85%) With .99 PFC
e.. Ultra-Tight Regulation (+VDC @ 1%)
f.. Amazingly Quiet Cooling System
g.. 15 Drive Connectors (incl. 6 SATA)
h.. Dual PCI Express Video Connectors
i.. EPS12V, SLI, and SSI Compatibility
j.. 5-Year Warranty; Unbeatable Support

Old December 16th 05, 04:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

VanShania wrote:
I'm using a 420 watt thermaltake in my lanfire case and I'm running a
XP2600, ATI AIW 9600XT, sound card, 4 fans and 2 in the PSU( for 6 total), 2
HDs, Pioneer DVD player and Plextor Dvd writer. I have had no problems with
this PSU. When I upgrade to a dual core and sata II standard, I'm hoping
that the thermaltake 680 watt will have everything I need but hopefully
someone whos already there will give us their insight to whats working and
whats not. Although I do a lot of reading, I've yet to hear of any power
supply that has as many sata connections as the A8N-SLI Deluxe or Premium
boards from Asus.

That thing must sound like a cyclone when you start it up. Unless you
are doing some serious overclocking, I'd say 1 or two case fans is good.
My experience tells me that more fans means more dust.

I have the same ThermalTake 420 that you've got right now running my AV8
with a dual core 3800. It's an Antec case with 1 80mm fan in the rear
(set on lowest setting) and a stock CPU cooler in addition to the 2 in
the PSU.

This case also has 3 IDE hard drives, one optical drive, and a GeForce3
Ti200. My UPS spftware shows that my tower draws a whopping 124 watts.
I know new video cards are really power hungry, but even with a 420W
PSU, Ive got nearly 300 watts to spare.

That said, I've gotten by with cheap PSU's before, but I feel better
with a good brand name under the hood.
Old December 16th 05, 05:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Chris Beckett wrote:

Hi everyone,
would like any input re' brands of quality PSU's and your own experiences:
good or otherwise.
Just opted for a Q-Tec 500 Watt Low Noise Big Fan PUS.
Some of the forums are united in stating that they are...well...crap and
could cause problems for my system down the road.
Many thanks.
chrisb

One of the computer I recently build lost its Antec 350w power supply.
It was only an Athlon XP on an MSI board with integrated video, 512 mb,
1 hard drive.

It literally smoked before it popped the breaker on its UPS.

That was the first Antec PS I've lost, but it causes concern over others
in the field.

CV

Old December 16th 05, 05:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 07:10:58 -0600, VanShania wrote:

pc power& cooling has this config

MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE PSU: TURBO-COOLŽ 850 SSI
a.. 850W Continuous (950W Peak) @ 50°C
b.. Fits Std. ATX Cases (20" min. depth)
c.. +12VDC Rails Total 54A (60A Peak)
d.. High Efficiency (85%) With .99 PFC
e.. Ultra-Tight Regulation (+VDC @ 1%)
f.. Amazingly Quiet Cooling System