Need help on barebones system with case, mobo, no CPU--Thanks!!

Old May 27th 05, 10:11 PM

Default Need help on barebones system with case, mobo, no CPU--Thanks!!

1. Have: I have a spare 3.0ghz P 4 CPU LGA 775 Socket 5xx series with
Heatsink, 2 sticks of 256MB of DDR2 400mhz memory, an 120mb IDE hard
drive (7200RPM, 8mb cache), modem, floppy drive, 2 CD-RW's (one is a
DVD ROM). The other compnents in an older machine are not removable.

2. Do Not Have: What I do not have is a Case, Power supply,
Mobo-motherboard, LAN card, low End Sound Card, low End Graphics Card
to start.

Since I am currently unemployed I need some things to do besides
looking for a job as IT Manager, Project Manager, etc...

Any recommendations on a kit that comes with a Case, MOBO (no CPU) that
can provide a basis to add my CPU and other compnents from 1 above, and
also might supply #2 to some degree?

THank you for several options. Rather have the CASE and MOBO and Power
Supply all put together already if possible. If not, but separately
good prices, no problem. Again hard disk I have is IDE not SATA.

Thanks, Patty

Old May 29th 05, 02:18 PM

Found this site which may help me:
http://www.xtechnology.com/SCR/Xtcat...esC?CategID=51

Thanks, Patty

Old May 30th 05, 07:02 AM
George Macdonald

On 27 May 2005 14:11:00 -0700, wrote:

1. Have: I have a spare 3.0ghz P 4 CPU LGA 775 Socket 5xx series with
Heatsink, 2 sticks of 256MB of DDR2 400mhz memory, an 120mb IDE hard
drive (7200RPM, 8mb cache), modem, floppy drive, 2 CD-RW's (one is a
DVD ROM). The other compnents in an older machine are not removable.

2. Do Not Have: What I do not have is a Case, Power supply,
Mobo-motherboard, LAN card, low End Sound Card, low End Graphics Card
to start.

All recent mbrds I've seen/bought have on-board LAN and sound and finding a
suitable integrated graphics mbrd should be no problem.

Since I am currently unemployed I need some things to do besides
looking for a job as IT Manager, Project Manager, etc...

Any recommendations on a kit that comes with a Case, MOBO (no CPU) that
can provide a basis to add my CPU and other compnents from 1 above, and
also might supply #2 to some degree?

THank you for several options. Rather have the CASE and MOBO and Power
Supply all put together already if possible. If not, but separately
good prices, no problem. Again hard disk I have is IDE not SATA.

Since all you need is a mbrd and case w. P/S, why not just buy them from
one of the vendors like
www.newegg.com and put the mbrd in yourself - I
find it easier to put in CPU and especially memory into fresh slots with
the mbrd out of the case anyway. The only chore is dressing the cables and
with round IDE & floppy cables that's now easier.

If you're looking for brand recommendations, I currently like MSI for mbrds
and Antec for a case.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old May 30th 05, 04:20 PM

Thanks George. I lean toward MSI as well.

WIll look at Newegg.com. Been there before and also put together PC's
before. Sometimes you ojust want to take a break.

Thanks so much
Patty

Old June 5th 05, 06:23 PM

Found the people at Maximum Value Computer to be EXTREMELY helpful over
the 10 other companies I wrote (and heard little or nothing back). And
great prices. I am not associated with them in any way other than
talking to them and buying a barebones kit: They know their stuff and
have an 800#. Good support.

http://www.mcvpc.com/

Patty

Modular Power Supply Effty General 10 April 26th 05 10:32 AM
Budget Asus Mobo system recommendations PaulDgsCoy Asus Motherboards 4 January 3rd 05 08:00 AM
Unstable system w/K8N Neo2 Platinum MOBO & Crucial's memory modules, please help!!! Chinche Homebuilt PC's 1 November 3rd 04 07:15 PM
Need a Kick-Ass Case! Wayne Youngman Overclocking 71 January 31st 04 02:30 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Ati Videocards 336 November 27th 03 07:54 PM